TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Boss 600 Subwoofer under driver seat Page: 1, 2  Next
Rhinoculips Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:48 pm

I tried posting this in a different thread, but received no response. Thus, I figured I would start a new one.

I just installed the Boss 600 under the drivers seat. Still good bass from this small unit, but I'm getting a lot of annoying vibration from the sheet metal under it(right on the top of the wheel well). I did put two strips of sticky backed high density foam under the subwoofer, one under the front edge and one under the back edge to lift it up a hair. This helped a little, but I still get the annoying vibration.

Does anyone with it mounted under the seat get this problem? How can I fix this?

Any help is appreciated.

ranchero Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:56 pm

Hi Rhinoculips
Mine is buzzy if i turn the level up.. I can't remember exactly how I did it, but I bent and cut the lever for the seat rotator so that the sub is wedged against it. I also have the RCA cables wedged in between the bottom of the cavity and the top of the sub.

dubbified Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:00 am

Get some dynamat, or something similar like Rattle trap, stops the vibration pretty good.

shizzon Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:53 am

x2 on the dynamat or similar product (raamat is really cheap!). I would think that would help with the rattling, although I don't have one, so I can't say for sure.

Speaking of, I was thinking of doing this project myself -- Do you have swivel seats, and if so did you have any problems installing the sub under the front seat?

good luck with it!

Rhinoculips Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:09 pm

shizzon wrote: x2 on the dynamat or similar product (raamat is really cheap!). I would think that would help with the rattling, although I don't have one, so I can't say for sure.

Speaking of, I was thinking of doing this project myself -- Do you have swivel seats, and if so did you have any problems installing the sub under the front seat?

good luck with it!

I do have swivel seats. After cutting the front out of the secret spot, it was easy(the cutting wasn't difficult either) All you have to do to get it in there is, remove seat and swivel base. Cut opening. Next, bend the battery hold down tab up in the compartment behind the seat to allow the subwoofer to slide back enough to reinstall swivel release lever. Run the wires. I installed a chunk of high density insulation foam(the 3" blue stuff) to one side of the sub to keep it in place. Then reinstalled the seat. Job done.

Guess my next step is to pull it out and install some dynomat or the like. Hope there is enough room to do so.

chimivee Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:59 am

Rhinoculips wrote:
Does anyone with it mounted under the seat get this problem? How can I fix this?
Mine is mounted in the same spot and I get some vibration. It's only been a minor annoyance, because it only happens with certain bass and at higher volumes, so I haven't really troubleshot it. I'd be curious to know what you find.

Are you certain it's from the sheet metal beneath? Does dampening the metal with your hand from the wheel well side make it stop? (seems to me that panel is already dampened with undercoating?) How close is the speaker grill to the top (swivel base)? Could it be touching? Just thinking aloud without my van in front of me. I do know that if I push down or pull up on the bass unit, the vibes stop.

dubbified Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:30 pm

http://www.ehow.com/list_7260238_cheap-dynamat-alternatives.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_5165131_use-dynamat.html

I did my entire chassis floor in fatmat, and rattletrap xxx, under the rear hatch, and added an additional layer atop that. all my doors got a thorough outer steel fender, and inner door liner, and inside door card facing coat.

I have so much of the crap cause I bought a massive amount from a local. I installed all this crap cause I'm going to use a sub, and didn't want the chassis to resonate in unwanted locations, mainly outside the vehicle when I'm campin. its gunna get 4 5.25s, 2 tweets, 4 6x9s and a 12. so, its gunna be fun.

I cant say installing all this was fun as my fingers are still numb from rubbin all that down, but I would suggest to use a heatgun, makes manipulating the material alot easier.

I'm halfway to Space shuttle status. :lol:

BillM Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:51 pm

Is the strap so you can drive it without the rear heater becoming a
projectile? How does it sound with the interior stripped
and just the sound mat installed?
I bought Eastwoods version of dyno mat. Love it in the
65 Mustang but still on the fence with the result in the Westy.

dubbified Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:56 pm

that's a near 100 lb rock (optima) with a red, and black 2 ga cable.

all I can hear is air rushing and the faint sound of the engine at freeway speed. at 35, can still barely hear the engine.

I'm worried I may not hear any issues with the engine.. so I've resigned to load my dash with psi, temp and this and that guages.

:)

TommyBoyGomes Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:57 am

Hey guys, just did this install today under the passenger seat, it was pretty easy. Here's a few pics of how I did it...

Removed the passenger seat, vacuumed out all the dust, then started making all the cables. As you can see, I'm using the battery hold-down bracket bolt as the ground and the positive terminal on the battery itself for the +12V.

(sorry it's kinda blurry)

This is with the sub in and ready to put the seat back in. I know alot of people talked about vibration problems and using dynamat and stuff like that, but I simply used one of those no-slip pieces of fabric that you put on the bottom of your drawers so your dishware doesn't slide around. It was like .79 cents and works perfectly - no vibrations. I routed the green line-level RCA cables and the remote on/off cable under the passenger footwell carp and entered the dash near the heater vent.

The Boss 600 comes with a remote level knob, which I thought was kinda cool. I screwed it onto the screw that keeps the plastic trim piece in place at the edge of the seat base. It's close to the driver to adjust while driver and clean/out of the way to not get kicked. Best of all, no drilling necessary.

The head unit I bought came with a bluetooth microphone, so I ran it up through the dash via the instrument panel and snuck the wire out just above the headlight switch. The microphone came with a plastic clip that hands onto the side of the trim, so it gives you a nice non-permanent, no holes required location. Phone calls sound nice and clear from both ends.

I'd say that the sub adds some low-end warmth to the overall sound of the audio of the van, which is all I really wanted. It's not going to shake any windows, but it helps compensate for the tinny nature of the 4" speakers in the doors and rear. Happy as a clam!

luVWagn Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:35 am

TommyBoyGomes wrote: Hey guys, just did this install today under the passenger seat, it was pretty easy. Here's a few pics of how I did it...

I'd say that the sub adds some low-end warmth to the overall sound of the audio of the van, which is all I really wanted. It's not going to shake any windows, but it helps compensate for the tinny nature of the 4" speakers in the doors and rear. Happy as a clam!

Thanks for the write-up, as I'm eager to try one of these under my driver's side swivel seats in a Westy. Not 100% certain yet, as i may end up having to put my 4-channel amp under there :(

joseph928 Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:55 am

:bay_blue: And I thought I was the first person to put the boss there. Oh well, I did Dyanmat the that area and all the rest of the van. Sounds great good price under $100 Ebay and no vibrations. And they fit like a glove under the seat! :D

plummerdesign Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:59 pm

This past week I installed a Boss 600 Sub under the passenger seat. As with everyone else, the section of metal was cut away and the alcove given proper sound dampening along with thoughtful wiring.
And it fits pretty nice in there, with plenty of bottom end to fill the place. I like it.
Except for one thing: the swivel seat release issue.
Everything went in like a glove, and with effort I can slip it back out. But the swivel seat base release arm has no room to move downward. No swiveling permitted for now. I will need it in May for sure when on the road.
I have seen how some cut or notch the subwoofer to allow the release arm a bit of operating room. Others take the release arm off. With as many Samba-istas who have installed these Boss 600 Subwoofers (Sound Ordnance B-8PTD or Soundstream USB-8A are the same size)
in their Westfalia seat pedestals; certainly there must be better path to making this release lever workable.
What say you good people?
(and yes, detailed pics will be posted of the process. It would serve well with other similar installs)
Cheers,
Jeffery

kuleinc Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:46 pm

I put I under driver seat, no need for swivel then. Also, if you remove swivel base, boss 800 fits there (12 inch)

plummerdesign Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:00 pm

There are quite a few subs out there (good to know with the supply of Boss Bass600 depleted) that can be used:
BOSS 600 Specs:
Dimensions: 2.6"h x 9.8"w x 13.6"L
This unit fits under any Vanagon/Westfalia seat. Requires cutting access to alcove under Westfalia seat pedestal. Issue with swivel seat release lever on Westfalia.
Kenwood KSC-SW11 Specs:
Dimensions: 2.75"h x 7.5"w x 11"L
This unit fits under any Vanagon/Westfalia (tight height) seat. Requires cutting access to alcove under Westfalia seat pedestal.
Soundstream USB-A Specs:
Dimensions: 3"h x 9.5"w x 14.5L
This unit will require removal of speaker grille to fit under swivel seat (Westfalia), also will protrude out of alcove 3/4"
Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Specs:
Dimensions: 3 1/8"h x 9 1/8"w x 13 5/8"L
This unit may only fit Vanagon, not Westfalia. Speaker grille NOT removable.

zak99B5 Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:36 pm

Does the Boss Bass800 fit where the 600 did?

kuleinc Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 am

I know it fits under driver seat, no swivel, no battery.

plummerdesign Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:58 pm

Still hoping for a workaround for the seat swivel release.
Subwoofer is nice, having the swivel release is nice too.
Anyone?

chimivee Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:09 pm

plummerdesign wrote: Still hoping for a workaround for the seat swivel release.
Subwoofer is nice, having the swivel release is nice too.
Anyone?
Probably not the solution you're looking for, but I simply rigged a removable "stopper" out of some miscellaneous hardware to insert into the aligned slots in place of the release lever (removed). It's not as quick as the release lever, but I rarely swivel the seat. Warning, this mod may cause death or worse.

bmdhacks Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:59 pm

I fit the subwoofer under my seat, but the swivel release is pinned up. I think like chimivee says, you'll have to rig something yourself and then weigh that against the likelihood of the seat swiveling in a crash (and the potential repercussions to having a swiveled seat during a crash).

Since swiveling is quite useful for accessing the rear battery compartment, I might take another look at my setup at some point. Happy to entertain ideas about how to pull it off.