TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Door Hinge Panels
biggene Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:10 pm

I was just wodering if anyone has ever tried replacing their door hinge panels. My bug sat under a tree for about 6 years and is rusted pretty bad at the lower hinge on the drivers side door.

Anyone have any suggestions??

edmunds_steven Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:45 am

hi i may only be 18 but i just completed this job last week. what me and this guy did was cut out the rusty section with a grinder then we got a piece of scrap sheet metal and etched out a basic shape and welded this on to it then grind off the welds. this is only to be taken on the with a lot of experience cos ive seen bad bodge jobs if not take it to a body shop or somit explain the prob and they should be able to sort it out. 8) Hope this helps

keifernet Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:00 am

Here is a link with a parts diagram for reference, most supplires sell the same part. Look for part # 47 on this page.http://www.rustrepair.com/VW_Beetle_parts.htm

It is not that difficult, but then again I have done quite a few over the years, the thing to worry about is that there are several layers of metal behind the outer skin, so you may have to use some other metla to fabricate/ rebuild/ reinforce the area hidden under the outer skin.

I have some pics of the job if your interested. PM me