TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: DIY Tools? Let's see 'em! Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
WestyMan1971 Fri May 18, 2012 8:47 am

Have you ever made a tool?
Let's see some of the items you've fashioned to help "get the job done"!
They don't need to be VW-specific.

Magnetic parts tray.
I found this old scout mess kit kicking around while cleaning. It was mine when I was a kid. I took out the pot to use with my backpacking stove. Then I took the bowl and frying pan and epoxied hard drive magnets into the bottom. Works great, total cost: $0

Oil Fill Neck removal tool.
Took a cheap paint scraper and ground it down to the proper width to fit in the oil fill. Ground off the end to flat. Flexes a little bit, but otherwise a very useful alternative to a VW specialty tool. Total cost: $0.99

Gary Fri May 18, 2012 8:57 am

Here's an existing thread on the subject - Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc...

WestyMan1971 Fri May 18, 2012 9:05 am

Gary wrote: Here's an existing thread on the subject - Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc...

Seems like most of the discussion in there is about factory VW tools. This is specifically for tools you've made.

Gary Fri May 18, 2012 9:15 am

WestyMan1971 wrote: Gary wrote: Here's an existing thread on the subject - Tools: Factory, Specialty, Home-made, etc...

Seems like most of the discussion in there is about factory VW tools. This is specifically for tools you've made. The title of the thread has Home-made , meaning they're covered in there as well.

WestyMan1971 Fri May 18, 2012 9:42 am

WestyMan1971 wrote:

Edited my original post to include this. This is the reason I posted it in the Off Topic forum instead of General/Chat.
I'm always looking for new tool ideas for a variety of projects.

mark tucker Fri May 18, 2012 1:45 pm

make just about any thing out of just about everything.

sixfootdan Fri May 18, 2012 3:49 pm

I like the oil wrench idea I'm going to make one but a little stiffer.

mark tucker Fri May 18, 2012 4:07 pm

sixfootdan wrote: I like the oil wrench idea I'm going to make one but a little stiffer. I made one out of 3/16 steel, worked great till this last one that wadded it up.somebody must of used locktight on thier nuts.

earthquake Fri May 18, 2012 5:47 pm

OK
test stand in progress...

engine stand adapter...

bead roller made from a HF parts...

English wheel [was not finished at time of pic]...

engine stand...

Cylinder head gauges [I have case gauges too but no pic]...

flywheel puller...

front control arm compresser tool...

I have some more but I dont have a pictures of them right now, sure is nice having access to a water jet machine.

Casey

Busryder Fri May 18, 2012 6:03 pm

WestyMan1971 wrote: Have you ever made a tool?
Let's see some of the items you've fashioned to help "get the job done"!

What is it that they say.... uh, necessity is the mother of invention? Well then, ingenuity can be the father of danger and accidental injury. (Those springs can put holes in the ceiling, didja know that? :shock: )

While not fancy at all, I did cobble together a valve spring compressor made from the internal aluminium parts of an auto-cocker paint-ball gun, and sliding wood clamps. I needed to swap some vales out... Out of eight, only one went for a spin. :lol:

zozo Sat May 19, 2012 7:26 pm

Wow! Some of y'all go all out. Hats off to you, your creativity, and your fabrication skills.

I'm a little less of all of those, but I can usually come up with something to meet the few needs I have. In this case, I came up with something to help me deal a little better with my vision challenges (my vision sucks). While working on my bus today, I'd had all I could stand when it comes to seeing WTF I was doing. There in the corner of the garage was a stack of florescent light fixtures that I'd given away, but were never picked up. Also, there sat my empty engine stand. Hmmmmmm....about 45 minutes later, voila, a mobile light source that will help me immensely.

Not sure how long it will last with the ballasts being sideways, but for the $5 or so that I paid for the light, who really gives a crap.

Kelly Sun May 20, 2012 4:39 am

^^see what you're working on and get a nice tan in the process, cool. :P

I really like the engine stand, did you paint it that color to avoid tripping over it?

zozo Sun May 20, 2012 5:25 am

I think it's a Harbor Freight stand.

Tram Sun May 20, 2012 2:14 pm

zozo wrote: I think it's a Harbor Freight stand.

They don't actually make anything, they just support Communists like our entire economy. :)

babysnakes Sun May 20, 2012 2:40 pm

Quote: they just support Communists

and lighting fixtures.

61SNRF Mon May 21, 2012 6:56 am

Front beam fixture made from 3/4" plumbing pipes and fittings...

hazetguy Mon May 21, 2012 7:20 am

here is a very handy special tool. it is cheap, and i try to keep several around at all times. it comes in varying lengths and can be used for so many different things. hammer, door stop/holder-opener, lever, cup holder, arm rest, deck lid prop, table leg, pillow, cruise control, etc. its uses are nearly limitless.

mattcuddy Mon May 21, 2012 7:31 am

hazetguy wrote: here is a very handy special tool. it is cheap, and i try to keep several around at all times. it comes in varying lengths and can be used for so many different things. hammer, door stop/holder-opener, lever, cup holder, arm rest, deck lid prop, table leg, pillow, cruise control, etc. its uses are nearly limitless.

Everyone else showed their tools while in use, please do the same.

Busryder Mon May 21, 2012 10:02 am

mattcuddy wrote: hazetguy wrote: here is a very handy special tool. it is cheap, and i try to keep several around at all times. it comes in varying lengths and can be used for so many different things. hammer, door stop/holder-opener, lever, cup holder, arm rest, deck lid prop, table leg, pillow, cruise control, etc. its uses are nearly limitless.

Everyone else showed their tools while in use, please do the same.

Hazetguy was "planking" before it went mainstream... :wink:

EverettB Mon May 21, 2012 10:10 am

hazetguy wrote: here is a very handy special tool. it is cheap, and i try to keep several around at all times. it comes in varying lengths and can be used for so many different things. hammer, door stop/holder-opener, lever, cup holder, arm rest, deck lid prop, table leg, pillow, cruise control, etc. its uses are nearly limitless.

I just used one of those to test-drill some holes for proper counter-sinking.

It worked pretty well.