TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 110 Hook up replacement - Canadian Van Owners Page: 1, 2  Next
matt_j Wed May 30, 2012 9:44 pm

Anyone have any information on how they've replaced their cracked and faded electrical hook up with a new delta six or gowesty on a Canadian van with extension cord? Rewiring? Modding the hookup?

Purchased a needed replacement and while I may not use the hook up much it would be nice to have it seated inside properly.

pioneer1 Thu May 31, 2012 3:08 am

The "USA" version wires direct to the 2/14 gauge house wire that runs through the van- just like an electrical outlet in your house. This is a much better system than pulling an extension cord through the side of your van and looks stock from outside. You can reach all the wiring from inside the cupboard.

Jeff's Old Volks Home Thu May 31, 2012 3:13 am

Sky-light guy...in BC. He sells great replacements. Reasonable prices and quick shipping Plus they're decent to deal with.
Jeff

spitsnrovers Thu May 31, 2012 5:17 am

I modded my Canadian version to what I feel is more practical:
1. disconnect the cord from the junction box and cut it down so that only about a foot extends outside the van.
2. rewire it to the junction box as per original.
3. use an extension cord with a neon indicator light at the female end, so now I always know there is power available.

Now I don't have to try to stuff the very thick, stiff and often dirty cable back into that little hole 8) . It is easier to roll up an extension cord, wipe it down and store it in the original power cable cupboard.

This also allows me to drive away from the camp site before unplugging the power cord :oops: which has been done, without any damage.

Vanagon Nut Thu May 31, 2012 9:54 am

Not sure if this helps, but one of those outdoor use yellow male plugs from Home Depot or wherever will fit if one does a little material removal. I don't recall exactly where on part I did this, but all it took was a little filing and it fit back in the Delta 6 hole.

Like most I use an extension cord to supplement this hookup. With that in mind, I cut back into the original wires to find some nice clean copper. I tend to stuff that connection back into van so it's covered by the Delta 6 lid.

@ spitsnrovers I like that. The length of the stock cord gets in the way of stuff.

Neil.

IIRC, this was what I used

Neil.

matt_j Thu May 31, 2012 8:25 pm

So I took a look at things tonight. Should just be able to cut the built in extension cord to length and wire to the backside of the outlet on the new gowesty hook up very easily. The gowesty instructions say to reuse the old protection box on the inside of the US 110V hookup (which I of course don't have). I'm assuming this is just a shield for the exposed cable ends at the hookup, ya?

The Skylight Guy Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:31 pm

matt_j wrote: Anyone have any information on how they've replaced their cracked and faded electrical hook up with a new delta six or gowesty on a Canadian van with extension cord? Rewiring? Modding the hookup?

Purchased a needed replacement and while I may not use the hook up much it would be nice to have it seated inside properly.

Hi Matt,

If you want to keep your set up like it is, we can sell you a kit with out the electric plug insert...so you can pull your cord through the hole as with all original Canadian Westfalia's.
Please contact us if this sounds like the way you wish to go...?

beelzibus Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:49 am

I live in the UK, our van is a Canadian spec van that was bought by a Canadian on the Tourist Delivery Program. For one reaason or another It never went back to Canada. Therefore the hook up was never used.
When I bought the van I removed the cable complete with plug, and Ive also swapped out the sockets inside and the circuit breaker. If this lot is any use to anyone get in touch. Cheers Andy.

augustwillo Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:17 pm

I have a Canadian Westy, about to replace it with the 110v GoWesty hookup box. There aren't clear instructions anywhere I can find, but my assumption is that I could cut the original cord to the desired length and wire it to the GoWesty hookup box. Can anyone here confirm that is the correct approach, or should I go about this a different way?

Thank you!

MarkWard Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:15 pm

That sounds correct, but you need to pay attention to the position of the 3 wires. Power, neutral and ground. Google images can probably show you the correct orientation. Ever notice how plugs these days have one larger spade than the other? That is to keep the order correct.

As a rule, black wire is your power leg, white is your neutral/common and green or plain copper is the ground. You want to be sure, that the you are grounding your receptical to the chassis. It should be, but check to be sure.

I am not an electrician.

coqwesty Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:25 pm

I am not an electrician either, but I did this 'mod' last year. While you can cut and use the existing electrical cord and simply re-connect it to the new outlet box, I purchased a piece of household ROMEX 10-2 and connected this to the interior outlet and the back of the GW hook-up box and all so far, all appears to be working well. I am also loving the extra storage space that used to be taken up by the onboard extension cord. Link to more info is here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8255882

TBay84 Tue May 28, 2019 1:08 pm

I’m looking to install the gowesty box on a Canadian Vanagon too. Only thing I noticed is that there is no inner 110v box on my van and I can’t find anyone that sells them. Are they really necessary? Can I just block the screw holes with something to prevent water from coming in? Or can I tap some holes into the inner box that’s on my van to fit the gowesty box?

TBay84 Tue May 28, 2019 1:13 pm

I’m looking to install the gowesty box on a Canadian Vanagon too. Only thing I noticed is that there is no inner 110v box on my van and I can’t find anyone that sells them. Are they really necessary? Can I just block the screw holes with something to prevent water from coming in? Or can I tap some holes into the inner box that’s on my van to fit the gowesty box?

MarkWard Tue May 28, 2019 1:30 pm

Do you have Home Depot and Lowes? If not, something similar. You can use a conventional electrical box like you’d use in a home. Same is true of the outlet.

TBay84 Tue May 28, 2019 3:37 pm

Yes, Home Depot and Lowes stores are in the same town as me. I’ll check out their electrical section. Thanks for the reply!

Alaskaberrys Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:44 pm

TBay84 wrote: Yes, Home Depot and Lowes stores are in the same town as me. I’ll check out their electrical section. Thanks for the reply!

You come up with a solution? Looking to convert our Canadian van also.

Alaskaberrys Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:39 am

Much as I admire Canada’s many fine examples of figuring out what is important to the well being of the country, the Westy 110v “perma-cord” idea is a bit of a let down I think. The wife and I never fail to get into a bit of a tiff with one of us on inside and the other outside stuffing/pulling that (wet, dirty, stubborn) 12ga SOOW cord through that stupid little hole. Only to find it hanging a foot out later in the day like some ill mannered donkey. No more I say!

So I figured I’d post the process I used to covert our Canadian Westy’s 110v hook using GoWesty’s 110v 15amp male plug hook-up box. As mentioned in above posts the Canadian models have no “interior” junction box just behind the sheet metal as the US models have. Pretty dang simple they are -

(happy to see no rust below 8) )

So as to not have the bare terminals exposed, I found this funky remodel junction/single box which fit in the hole and offered enough space to fit the bulky wiring (I’m simply cutting and re-using the 12 ga SOOW cord so as to not have to deal with the other end already wired into the inside outlet - regular 12ga Romex - solid house wire - would offer a little tighter install)

It just slips inside the opening. The “remodel” tabs will come off.

Next is fitting the GoWesty box to it. In order for the screw holes to line up the back of the male plug slightly impacts the curved back of the remodel box. Not too worried about the little bit of the ground connection showing -

...so some carving with a unibit-

Next I drilled for a 1/2” Flex Box Connector that the cord will just fit through -

Broke the “remodel” tabs off the box and did a trial fit -

Next, marked the minimum amount of cord needed to make the connection -

Carefully score the outer jacket and peel off the insulation -

Was handy that the wire was color coded to make sure the black went to the copper colored stud on the plug - as mentioned above it’s important to have the polarity correct and connect the “hot” prong to the black and neutral to the white -

Stripped and tinned the stranded wire and crimped eye connectors with heat shrink -

Fed the cord through, and tapped to, the box connector. Inserted the box into the hole, removed the male plug from the GoWesty box, fastened the hook-up box to the remodel box, added the insulation seal around the perimeter and screwed the assembly to the body -

Connected up the male plug and reattached it to the hook-up box after dabbing some liquid electrical tape on it -

Clean up -

Next, deal with that ridiculous OE water fill box...

sphet Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:32 pm

Alaskaberrys wrote: Much as I admire Canada’s many fine examples of figuring out what is important to the well being of the country, the Westy 110v “perma-cord” idea is a bit of a let down I think.

Thanks for the writeup and pictures. We too argue a bit about the cord and I hate all that wasted space in the cubby.

Two questions:

1. How did you attach the junction box to the gowesty panel?
2. Where did you get the junction box? Ironically I can only seem to source it from the US, which doesn't seem fitting for a 'Canadian Fix'.

S

VdubVanner Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:52 pm

See page 5 of my linked illustrated thread below. I used a mixture of old and new but kept to the original design and concept ie a length of electrical cord tucked inside the van.

sphet Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:08 am

VdubVanner wrote: See page 5 of my linked illustrated thread below. I used a mixture of old and new but kept to the original design and concept ie a length of electrical cord tucked inside the van.

I did this task yeaterday and it went smoothly. My only doubt is whether the gowesty gasket will be enough to stop water ingress.

I used the approach above: trim the existing cable back, attach a plastic outlet box and wire it all up. The extra space is great. I'll have to check on the leak somehow. Maybe some extra sealant would be helpful?

S