TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Roo Bar Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 39, 40, 41  Next
fccperdiem Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:09 pm

Hi All. This is the Roo Bar I made for a customer. It was built with 1.75" tubing, rather than adhering to the EXCELLENT version that obnoxiousblue created using 1.5" tubing.

Do you all have any critiques, or suggestions for future Roo Bars?

obnoxiousblue-- I PM'd you.

[/quote]

Jeff Geisen Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:31 pm

NorCalWeekender Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:34 pm

fccperdiem wrote: Hi All. This is the Roo Bar I made for a customer. It was built with 1.75" tubing, rather than adhering to the EXCELLENT version that obnoxiousblue created using 1.5" tubing.

Do you all have any critiques, or suggestions for future Roo Bars?

obnoxiousblue-- I PM'd you.

I think it looks really good! I'm used to the split window ones that have the hump on top, but it looks good with the flat top.

alman72 Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:29 am

hard to tell, but there is no curve-in on the "ears" of your bar, correct? I like how most roo-bars kinda conform to the front curve of the bus nose.

Mberglo Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:40 am

I love roobar pie.

fccperdiem Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:15 pm

Based upon solid feedback, I narrowed the hoops toward the center and swept them back another 6 degrees.

NorCalWeekender Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:23 pm

That definitely looks better! How does it attach underneath?

fccperdiem Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:13 pm

U-channel brackets welded to the subframe, then bolts through the tubing. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

NorCalWeekender Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:16 pm

fccperdiem wrote: U-channel brackets welded to the subframe, then bolts through the tubing. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

No rush. I'll be curious to see em.

Love your light bar design, btw. Saw it in the classifieds.

ImAddicted Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:33 pm

Now you got me thinking Ducky really needs a roo bar :(

obnoxiousblue Mon May 31, 2021 7:10 pm

I had a chance to meet fccperdiem at Dubs in the Shrubs last weekend.
Having had one of the original Fusername bars, and later a second, and having been pretty much planted in this thread from inception I gotta say - he nailed it.
For recreating a part, which was itself a recreation - all done entirely by photo not once, but now twice. Eric really knocked it our if the park. For anyone who may be looking for a roo, hit him up before he gets out of the game. Did you miss the Bitcoin blow up? Don’t miss it again, but TWO Roos!
The light rack he built - again, also with inspiration back to Cyrus’ bar, is better executed and the mounts and fasteners look and feel as though VW designed it themselves.
I almost want to put a Roo bar on my bug now!
Nice work Eric, really. Coming from a perfectionist.

fccperdiem Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:24 pm

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate the feedback.

fccperdiem Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:31 pm

Here's the most recent Roo Bar. Thanks, Richard!

KrisBalfe Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:21 pm

Great job. Makes me think I need another bay window bus looking at that bar.

theguyryry Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:49 pm

That roo bar with the spare wheel attachment looks awesome! Do you have any pictures of it on a bus?

Shonandb Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:13 pm

Hey Eric

Where and how are you attaching it to the frame? Did you just drill holes or weld a plate on the frame rails that you are bolting it to?
I am in the process of adding a Bull Bar to the front of my 76 Westy as I took a direct hit above the bumper in my 73 VW Panel Bus years ago that crushed the nose tin right against my knees and I would like a bit more protection this time around. The Westy is heavier and my wife is usually with me so I'll feel more comfortable with adding a Bull Bar. Just trying to fabricate a solid mount to attach the Bull Bar brackets. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

danfromsyr Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:43 am

fccperdiem Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:58 pm

That's cool!!! The mesh made me think I needed glasses for a second.

jtauxe Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:11 pm

As an engineer, most of these strike me as being rather silly, and just for bling. The one with the tire carrier at least has a functional purpose.

If you were to actually hit something, like a kangaroo or a deer, what keeps them from simply folding into the nose? I don't even see any extra gussets...

Abscate Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:44 pm

You are missing the point, Joey

It catches the Roo and you bring it home and put it on the barbie