TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Possible silly question re air front vent...
thfcian Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:14 am

Hi all,

I have just got myself my first Split van it is a 63 EZ Camper. Everything seems fine with it but I have one question that I cannot find an answer for and I have been putting it off as I'm worried there is a simple answer.

The air vent under the roof rim at the front of the bus appears to be welded shut. There are two oblong panels where the air should go in and I figured that these should be open to allow air to flow in?

I thought at first that they could be opened and closed from inside but they really appear to be permanently shut.

Is this normal, has anyone else had this and is it easy to get them open again??

Please help.

Ian

[email protected]

Eric&Barb Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:12 am

Not normal. Without at least an image it is impossible to say how hard.

berpsta Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:20 am

thfcian wrote: Hi all,

I have just got myself my first Split van it is a 63 EZ Camper. Everything seems fine with it but I have one question that I cannot find an answer for and I have been putting it off as I'm worried there is a simple answer.

The air vent under the roof rim at the front of the bus appears to be welded shut. There are two oblong panels where the air should go in and I figured that these should be open to allow air to flow in?

I thought at first that they could be opened and closed from inside but they really appear to be permanently shut.

Is this normal, has anyone else had this and is it easy to get them open again??

Please help.

Ian

[email protected]

do you mean the area under the peak (above the front windows) have had plates welded over them??? if this is the case sometimes people seal these vents up in our not so sunny climate to stop the rain being scooped up and dripping down through the internal over head air duct.... i have a pair of the covers in my garage that i usually silicon on

sean

thfcian Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:28 am

Yeah the two oblong vents under the lip of the roof. I will get a picture next time I'm with the van. It maybe that they are silicomed shut, are there vents there that open and close or is it just two holes that are always open??

Ian

74 Cosa Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:55 am

It was probably leaking rain water. So instead of rebuild the vent flap rubber, they welding the front screened opening shut.

olliehank47 Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:03 am

thfcian wrote: Yeah the two oblong vents under the lip of the roof. I will get a picture next time I'm with the van. It maybe that they are silicomed shut, are there vents there that open and close or is it just two holes that are always open??

Ian

The vents are always open, but covered with screen mesh. As mentioned before, the PO probably covered the openings due to water entry instead of repairing the internal seal on the flapper. Hopefully, the covers are not welded in place.

Sidbus Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:16 am

Just replaced my vent flap seal last week: http://youtu.be/IAZxDE24SXY

20 minute job...followed instructions from a thesamba thread, thanks!

So much water leaks through my safaris I'm not sure I'd notice if the overhead vent was leaking anyhow. :D

Eric&Barb Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:42 pm

A few years ago an original owner in his 90s showed up at Portland Raceway with his mid 1960s Dormobile. While looking it over saw one of the fresh air intakes sealed over and mentioned it to the owner. He claimed it came that way when he bought it new. Maybe it is a UK item for what ever reason.....

Eric&Barb Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:12 am

Got any images of the blocked off air opening yet???

FINEGERMANSTEEL Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:15 pm

oh crazy,i just "unfroze" my flap assembly that was froze open.got tired of getting rained on ha.lets see a pic