TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Empi "batwing" oil cooler
swheeler5 Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:28 pm

What is this worth?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110905321209?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

restojohnny Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:11 am

You'll know after the auction :wink:

Hoosierdaddy Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:09 pm

It is mine now........

restojohnny Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:53 pm

Make sure you have the peice that goes into the oilcooler / doghouse on the engine case I was going to bid to win on that but I didn't see the peice in the auction pic's and the seller didn't have it. You need to find that peice I might MIGHT have an extra one. I sold my other one to Richard Roth at Bug In 32 awhile ago. Here's the peice you need on the bottom of the picture. Congrat's on the win Gary it's a great peice to have.

Richard Roth Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:59 pm

Now let's see if he can talk himself into cutting out some of the rear vents and taking a hole saw to the inner panel !

Hoosierdaddy Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:27 am

Almost like deciding if I should drill holes to mount the Empi side scoops on the car.... :?

restojohnny Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:40 am

Drill's those holes for those damn scoops bruthah and you can place the batwing where I placed mine right in the luggage compartment :wink:

vanaru Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:22 pm

would anyone really put this on an engine...

restojohnny Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:28 pm

why not it obviously was on mine :roll: and they do work if that's what your getting at :lol:

vaughn bros. Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:04 pm

Thats neat as hell. And the fact that its called "Batwing" just tears me up. I remember those days long ago when I used to purchase rare stuff at any price. Man what a find and thanks for sharing. Close up pics have ended a lot of curiosity too. If I ever see someone sporting one of these I will give them their respect.

Hoosierdaddy Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:32 pm

Was looking for this for a good number of years. Am happy to have finally been able to score one of these.

henry roberts Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:42 am

back in the late 80's when i was in high school i used to see a car (in sydney australia) driving around with one of these.

i wasn't into vw's at the time but thought it was cool. i've wanted one for years now but have never seen another. i don't think i'll be getting one at that price though. :shock:

Hoosierdaddy Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:31 am

Am going to clean up and mount this below the rear window. I am not going to actually hook up the lines and run oil through it. I don't want to hack on the car and put holes in it. I run a huge electric cooler with fan & thermostat that keeps the beast cool.