TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: mounting tires on wheels!
JabaDubRider Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:41 am

I am looking at getting rid of the Goodyear terra tires that I currently have on my Rail and swapping them with a more favorable Truck Tire of size 265/75 The Wheels that they are mounted on are currently 15 inch by 9.5 inch wide.

Heres the issue that i am having a hard time finding the answer to. The wheels that the tires are mounted to are chevy 5 pattern and I need wide 5 wheels. I would use adapters but it makes the vehicle to wide to fit on my trailer. so i just want the get wide 5 wheels. Issue is i Can't find any wide five wheels that are 9.5 inches wide. I have found them in eight inches wide. So am I going to have an issue mounting tires that are 9.5 wide on eight inch wide wheels. And I am just looking for some old used ones I don't need brand new so If you have some Let me know. I live in Michigan so Maybe we can work something out if your close.

Also if your in Michigan I have some terra tires that are on wide five that i will be getting rid of if i find some wheels for my rail Im not even sure that i will sell them for much cause the wheels leak pretty bad. Thanks

vingsthing Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:14 am

You shouldn't have any problem mounting those tires on 8" wide rims. BFGoodrich recommends a 7-8" rim for their 265/75/16 tires. True thats a 16" rim, but 15" would be the same

Wayne26 Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:23 am

do you mean the tires leak or the rims?

are the Terra's in decent shape? I have a few sets of rims and tires for trade or will buy them outrite if they are decent. can you get a picture of them?

kbwakesk8 Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:44 am

I run my 10.5" tire on a 8" rim all day long on my toyota truck.
the rim does not have to be as wide as the tire.

JabaDubRider Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:22 am

Wayne26 wrote: do you mean the tires leak or the rims?

are the Terra's in decent shape? I have a few sets of rims and tires for trade or will buy them outrite if they are decent. can you get a picture of them?

Thanks for the responses guys! Im glad that ill be able to mount these tires no problem. Now I just need to find the wheels and I'll be set!

@Wayne26 the rims are the reason for the leak, But there are an issue with one of the tires. When I took them to Belle Tire to have them resealed the tech that dismounted the tire ripped part of the sidewall from where the bead is and it is like a four inch rip. They repaired it with windshield urethane as it was just a rip in the surface rubber but still they ripped it. The tire still works fine and mount on the wheel and i have been using them for a while i just have to put air in them every time I want to go for a ride. The rims leak because the previous owner put screws threw the rim into the tire to hold tire on the wheel for low pressure riding in the dunes. So long story short I believe the tires r fine but if i decide to sell them it won't be for much. I am really just looking at maybe keeping them for the dunes and having my truck tires for the road and the trails. If you are interested in a trade for the wheels and tires for some other wheels that i need maybe we can work something out. Do you have any Wide Five wheels that are 15 inch by 8 inch wide? I will get a picture of the wheels and tires as soon as I can.

JabaDubRider Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:05 am

Just some photos of the tires on the buggy!

I tried to get a pic of the rip but it starts where you can't see it where the tire beads to the rim u can see where the urethane ran down the tire from the repair. The tire leak did slow down once it was rebeaded so i don't think the rip contributed to the leak but the holes in the wheels sure are. you can see one of the holes in the rim on this pic right above the rip in the tire. Also these are DOT Terra tires.

[/img]

Wayne26 Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:55 am

I have a few sets, I will get some measurements and pictures of them today.

Wayne26 Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:23 am

I thought I had some in my shed but they are all 12" wide, or 4 lug. I have some on one of my buggies 5 wide, pretty sure 8" but not positive, but they are the right size for truck tires. the tires on them are 31/10.50/15 and you can see the fit.

one rim is black and one is white, I started to match the white paint to the front rims and have not painted the last black rim.. so they need paint but where the tire bead seals is perfect compared to yours.. lol

we could make some kind of deal, I dont want your rims, so if you do keep them as I would just throw them in the trash. if you want these rims I need the terra tires so I can use them with the 12" rims I have in my shed for this buggy.

JabaDubRider Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:46 am

I goin some wheels pretty cheap! I purchased those! Thanks for posting though.