TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Amount/quantity of paint for a panel bus?
opypr Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:11 pm

Hello there!
Am about to send my 1966 panel bus to be painted, but I want to make sure that they are not trying to fool me. I want it two tones. White on
top 'til the door level, and the bottom part another color.
They said I will need 1 gallon of each, which sound to me like a lot of paint, but then again, I don't know about this. That doesn't include the reducer, clear and the other stuff...

Any comments???

E-boyz67 Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:27 am

Aloha, it depends on who's paint they are using. Example ppg; DBC basecoat calls to reduce the paint at 100%, meaning one gallon paint to one gallon reducer. Sikkens; autobase II calls for 50% meaning one gallon paint to two quarts reducer. Different paints will vary. If the white is transparent then it will probably use close to a gallon. Then the other color you plan to use will make a difference as well. If you choose a color that has hiding in just one or two coats then they will not need that much paint. Assuming that they will spray a BC/CC(basecoat/clearcoat) then they will need more than a gallon of clear to have the proper film thickness. And no the reducer,clear,hardner is not included. Hope this helps. :shock:

fizzbang Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:49 pm

I've painted 3 busses, all 2 tone, and I buy a gallon for each color.
I spray an acryllic enamel single stage(no clear) 2-3 coats. I usually have just a little bit left in the can, it's amazing how long it takes to spray the roof on those things! Not to mention the amount of paint.

I think they are giving you a pretty accurate paint-amount estimate.

opypr Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:07 am

Well, the white is regular plain white, and the other color will be some kind of metallic blue. Haven't found one that I really like yet :roll:

The paint 1 gal each, with the clear, reducer and other stuff (whatever they may be) from R-M will cost me $818 in a local shop. I saw it thru the internet cheaper, but then I will have to wait for it to be shipped...
I still have time, so I don't know what to do, (buy it local or not???)

Hmm, what to do???

Thanks for your comments !!! :P

jeremysmithatshawdotca Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:14 pm

If you buy local, and there's a problem, you can get it fixed! Buy it by mail, and you could be screwed. It goes for a lot of things, but in the case of the paint supplies, I'd get it local. Jeremy

Chillkoot Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:13 pm

I agree.. If you runn out or something..(god lets hope not you'll be back...) but the same guy will be mixing you paint.. make the color match the same... well I know.. but to guy can rol out the same color on a scale and the color can be differnt.. blendable.. but diff... I used to mix paint for a livein..

diy570 Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:11 pm

i just shot my 61 panel a few months ago with some ppg single stage urethane. i used just over 2 quarts of paint. mixed i used a total of about 1 gallon of sprayable material.

MattSheldon Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:19 pm

The last panel I did in a single stage enamel and I painted the underbody,outside,inside, engine components and other little pieces required almost 2 gallons. I am getting ready to spray my 57 Panel and I have purchaed 2 gallons worth again. It is easier to waste $50-$100 in extra material thaen to waste a paint job by not having enough.