TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1976 Westy, my project Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Bala Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:00 pm

I really enjoy reading about everyone else's projects on here, so I thought I'd post up a documentation thread for mine.
Everyone likes pictures, so I'll do my best to including plenty.

Picking it up a few months ago (that's my pops):

The worst of the rust, cab floor were the driver's feet rest:

Interior before I did anything:

Front without spare. I popped the biggest dent out and it really doesn't look that bad. I'll be putting the emblem back on.

After removing a bunch of PO wiring. It's actually pretty clean and factory:

Replaced the bumper with a much nicer one, paint will go on a little down the road:

Spent like 1/2 a day washing, scrubbing, soaking the walk through carpet. Turned out okay:

Pulled the piece of junk stereo and here's a stock radio that will be going in:

Table refurb (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=521091), before and after:

More updates soon...

justcruzin Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:08 pm

Nice work. Love the table, it came out great!!

I look forward to following your thread. I do love pics and to see how people are doing on their projects! :D

Kirk Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:11 pm

First off, thank you for hosting your pics on the Samba. I hate when they get hosted other places and then you read the thread in a year and all the pics are gone. Second, super great deal. Looking forward to your updates. I pulled that cabinet out for you, yours for the taking when you get ready for it.

secretsubmariner Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:29 pm

Niiiiice! Great work already, really. Keep us updated!

Bala Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:53 pm

Nice and solid underneath:

Some of the junk I found while cleaning:

Got the crusty canvas removed:

Here is the canvas I got to make the new one. It's a nice sun resistant awning fabric that is really close to the original color. Should be around $60 total when I'm done.

I also received some samples for the curtains. I think I'll go with that redish color. That scrap in the center is og poptop canvas.

Ice box and storage cabinet refreshed:

After some fiddling...hey, the overhead light works!

Gutting the interior, check out that pile of dirt, trash, rat droppings etc. For anyone with an old westy, do yourself a favor and do a TOTAL cleaning. I almost just ran it as is, I'm so glad I decided to do a major cleaning.

Found these under the bed. Pretty cool...

Cleaning up the back.

Before:

After:

That is some dirty carpet:

This little guy has been here a while.
Not pictured, but I found like 1/2 dozen geckos is various states of decomposition.

And everything tetrised back in for now. In the middle is the laminate flooring I'll be installing.

Bala Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:26 pm

Kirk wrote: First off, thank you for hosting your pics on the Samba. I hate when they get hosted other places and then you read the thread in a year and all the pics are gone. Second, super great deal. Looking forward to your updates. I pulled that cabinet out for you, yours for the taking when you get ready for it.

Thanks man! I'm ready, just have to figure a way to get it down here. I'll be watching the "other" :wink: site for someone making the trek.

Bala Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:00 am

A few more before shots.

The canvas.
My 3yo and I had fun ripping this out!
This was the "good" side:

And the engine:

I've already cleaned it up a bit and replaced that tin on the right. Added some more missing tin and installed a new seal as well. I'll put up some after pictures soon.

No comments on the progressive please, haha!

Bala Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:15 pm

I've got a good amount of cleaning ahead of me, but here's where it is now. And yes, it will get fresh fuel lines soon (not driving it yet). I'll get the wiring tidied up and heater fan situation straightened out as well. Oh, and if anyone has a nice fan screen, please let me know. I can't believe they aren't available aftermarket.

Again, more cleaning needed, but a fresh battery installed (I'll get a nicer one later) and new ground/positive cables.

Anyone know what this hole could have been cut for?

Not the best shot, but this is after popping the biggest dent out. Still a few smaller ones that I should be able to work out. I think it'll look decent.

Lostnfound Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:19 pm

Looks exactly like my 76. Except there is no hole cut out of your drivers side. Anyways, I cannot wait to see what you do with it.

Bala Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:37 pm

Lostnfound wrote: Looks exactly like my 76. Except there is no hole cut out of your drivers side. Anyways, I cannot wait to see what you do with it.

Got pics or a build thread on yours?
I have to say, I love this chrome yellow color!

notchboy Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:39 pm

Looking good bala! Keep up the pics :wink:

Bala Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:57 pm

notchboy wrote: Looking good bala! Keep up the pics :wink:

Will do.
Another twin shows up. :D
I've perused your '77 (and '74) thread(s) several times. Very nice, and to a lesser extent what I'm going for with mine.

notchboy Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:10 pm

Bala wrote: notchboy wrote: Looking good bala! Keep up the pics :wink:

Will do.
I've perused your '77 (and '74) thread(s) several times. Very nice, and to a lesser extent what I'm going for with mine.

Hey you are off to a great start! You going to try and restore the other laminate with some better oem stuff? If there is one teensy weensy thing I wish I did was to restore my laminite rather than replace.

notchboy Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:12 pm

Bala wrote: notchboy wrote: Looking good bala! Keep up the pics :wink:

Will do.

Hey you are off to a great start! You going to try and restore the other laminate with some better oem stuff? If there is one teensy weensy thing I wish I did was to restore my laminite rather than replace.

Lostnfound Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:17 pm

Bala wrote: Lostnfound wrote: Looks exactly like my 76. Except there is no hole cut out of your drivers side. Anyways, I cannot wait to see what you do with it.

Got pics or a build thread on yours?
I have to say, I love this chrome yellow color!

Not yet, it'll probably get posted this weekend. Bought it a few months ago but I've been traveling with work so I haven't had a chance to get to work on it. Here is a photo of mine.

67sunbeam Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:24 am

Nice work so far.

Bala Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:21 am

notchboy wrote: Hey you are off to a great start! You going to try and restore the other laminate with some better oem stuff? If there is one teensy weensy thing I wish I did was to restore my laminite rather than replace.

The only piece I really need to replace right now is the side closet door, but yea I'll be using original material. It really does clean up well. I've only done the table and storage/ice box lids so far, but they turned out pretty good (pictures above).

Thanks again for the comments everyone!

Bala Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:23 am

Lostnfound wrote: Not yet, it'll probably get posted this weekend. Bought it a few months ago but I've been traveling with work so I haven't had a chance to get to work on it. Here is a photo of mine.

Twin indeed, that's awesome!

Bala Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:49 am

The rear seat/bed cloth was a little rough, so I bought some more OG material to use. I have the old stuff off and the new stuff washed and ready, just need the new foam.

Old torn up:

Not the best pic, but the "new" material:

Here's a better comparison of the canvas material I'm using. Really a close match. It's a bit heavier than stock, being awning material, but I think it'll do nicely.

And, I was trying to fit a Vanagon (passenger not camper) threshold piece, but I can't get it to look perfect, so I'll probably go with the original or the hardware store has some decent looking stuff I might trim to fit.

Javyd Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:37 am

I need to do something with my threshold too. I'd like to see what you come up with. I'm currently taking off the surface rust on my floor and sealing her back up.