TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Primer before the paint??
schlanks70vdub Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:18 am

I'm getting ready to prep my dash for painting. The thing is, The dash is down to metal. I was told not to use normal primer, and instead to use some type of primer that actally bonds to the metal. I want to know what type of prime this is and where can I buy it? also after that primer, do i prime it again with the normal primer?

Thanks to all

Shane

justbuggin Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:17 pm

You mean etch primer? (help me out here body shop gurus). I'm about to do something similar, gradually taking the entire body & pans back to bare metal, & priming it as I go. Not ideal I know, but I dont have the time/space/money to do it all in one go.
Is etch primer the way to go? The car's going in for a professional 2 pack low bake paint job once its primered & ready. Any suggestions on what sort of primer to use with this?

Chillkoot Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:24 pm

ok.. the low bake.. wow .. they sold you some shit there... it only makes it faster for them.. does nothing for the paint cecp speed....

ok.. whenI paint.. for MYSELF.. (that should say something..a customer wont pay for all of it..

in oredr of apperence....
metal..
filler...
etch primer.. on metal.. not bad on filler .. justa waste..
ppg K36 my fave primer filler...
depening on color.. PPG dp 90 or 50.. sealer primer..
base coat till covered...
clear coat....
wet sand...
clear...
wetsand... wetsand... wetsand some more.... gotta have a mirror.. not like "a 3,000 job paint" ... like a 15k paint... gots to spend time dong that..
And anyone telling you that they lay out perfect paint with out wet sanding your dub.. run.. THATS SHit.....

E-boyz67 Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:23 pm

Ya know that Koot, and have you ever tried colorsanding and buff without water? How about color sanding with 1500 da and then buffing but watch those edges. It saves a lot of time and elbow grease and you'll get that mirror like finish.

schlanks70vdub Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:55 am

well here is where i'm at now. I have taken the dash to metal. I have filled tiny holes and smoothed it out with a gel coat bondo, now I'll proceed to the etch primer...
where would i buy the ppg k36 primer at??? and also the sealer primer.

Thanks for the detailed order for the process Chillkoot!

fizzbang Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:44 pm

Look in the yellow pages under the "Automotive" section. Somewhere in there you should find automotive paint stores. These stores sell all the paint, primer, sandpaper, buffing stuff, etc. that you'd ever need for a paint job.

The guys at my local paint place are very cool and spend the time to answer all of my "novice" paint questions. I've painted a few vdubs now, and if you put the time into learning about paint and prep- and spend the hours on the prep, you can get really great results.

del Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:13 pm

go down to the local walmart. you can get gray primer spray cans for like 99 cents. :D LOL

actually, do like fizz said and find a local paint store that specializes in automotive paint. they should have what you need and can answer alot of your questions.

71 square Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:49 am

yup yup...thats exactly what i did...man they r soooo good...when ur nice!!! if u go in and be a prick...they sell u paint and pretty much tell u to F*** off!! but if u go in with an interest, ask the questions nicely..which is what i did...they'll be heaps nice...man i was heaps nervous...never painted before...just bought a $140 gun, compressor and spent $260 on paint...so i was asking the same questions...he ended up seeing that, and he took me outside told me what to do, how to do it and what to do it with...and then he gave me his number, and said.. "i am a professional painter, if u get stuck..ring me and we'll sort things out..."
so yeh
when i did my dash, because it was covered by the vinyl cover most of its life..there wasnt much work...all i did was a good sand with wet and dry...to get it smooth...a good couple of coats of filler/primer..sand then blew yellow straight on...and it worked a treat!!

jonno

schlanks70vdub Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:42 am

Thanks so much for everyone's input. I'll head to my local auto paint shop and start askin question's :wink: