TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: "Small" torque wrench Page: 1, 2  Next
DeadheadSF Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:04 pm

Just curious what peoples' thoughts are on torque wrenches that measure lower torque (say, 1-25ft-lbs). I've heard mixed opinions on these. However, in my quest for absolute precision (yes, I'm a geek about it), can anyone recommend a reliable/accurate one that measures in the lower range (or if one even exists)?

Thanks

Glenn Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:07 pm

I have a SK 1/4" that's goes to 10ft-lbs. I use it on carbon fiber bikes.

DeadheadSF Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Glenn wrote: I have a SK 1/4" that's goes to 10ft-lbs. I use it on carbon fiber bikes.

Thanks for reminding me - that's the OTHER use I have a for a small torque wrench (don't want to compress that eggshell CF road bike).

Glenn Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:31 pm

Here's a good deal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SK-tools-1-4-drive-cli...3cc98055f4

VOLKSWAGNUT Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:05 pm

I use an inch pound torque wrench just about every day...
Low torques are just as important as high torques.

Low67vdubinnocal Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:31 pm

I have the snap-on 1/4" Drive QD1R50 great tool for small jobs. That Sk. one is a nice looking wrench also.

DeadheadSF Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:52 pm

Thanks all - I'll be picking one up soon (maybe the SK).

flemcadiddlehopper Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:53 pm

Snap-on makes electronic torque wrenches that buzz when the torque setting is reached, then it reads what torque you achieved. Very precise. But, hugely expensive. Great for a shop to own, not the DIY home garage guy.

Gordo.

61SNRF Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:13 pm

My "opinion" on tightening low torque fasteners is to just do them by hand based on feel and experience. That experience has been built up by over 40 years in the repair industry and at some expense by a few too loose and a few too tight though :oops:

I only go for an Inch Lb. torque wrench when setting up bearings for proper turning torque on differentials or things like steering racks.

If used improperly, you can over torque a fastener just the same as by hand. Equally as important is that the TW is calibrated.

In the repair manuals/factory procedures I follow (Volvo), they will make the torque figures in bold print when they really want you to use a torque wrench, and that is only about ~5% of the time.

doc1369 Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:20 pm

flemcadiddlehopper wrote: Snap-on makes electronic torque wrenches that buzz when the torque setting is reached, then it reads what torque you achieved. Very precise. But, hugely expensive. Great for a shop to own, not the DIY home garage guy.

Gordo.

This what I own. You can measure any torque or even degrees. Picked mine up for 180 on sale.

DeadheadSF Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:18 am

doc1369 wrote: flemcadiddlehopper wrote: Snap-on makes electronic torque wrenches that buzz when the torque setting is reached, then it reads what torque you achieved. Very precise. But, hugely expensive. Great for a shop to own, not the DIY home garage guy.

Gordo.

This what I own. You can measure any torque or even degrees. Picked mine up for 180 on sale.

About how much does one of these set you back? Snap-ons are great, but... $$$$

doc1369 Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:03 pm

DeadheadSF wrote: doc1369 wrote: flemcadiddlehopper wrote: Snap-on makes electronic torque wrenches that buzz when the torque setting is reached, then it reads what torque you achieved. Very precise. But, hugely expensive. Great for a shop to own, not the DIY home garage guy.

Gordo.

I paid 180 when the electric torque wrench was just out. You can go on snap-on's web page and buy direct, no dealer needed. As for $$$ conserns, you ether want to trust your tools or be cheap. I would rather invest in a tool that will last longer than me and give me a correct reading through the years. All though I should be telling people to buy cheap tools, fixing what you break pays my rent :lol:

ccpalmer Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:37 am

doc1369 wrote: DeadheadSF wrote: doc1369 wrote: flemcadiddlehopper wrote: Snap-on makes electronic torque wrenches that buzz when the torque setting is reached, then it reads what torque you achieved. Very precise. But, hugely expensive. Great for a shop to own, not the DIY home garage guy.

Gordo.

I paid 180 when the electric torque wrench was just out. You can go on snap-on's web page and buy direct, no dealer needed. As for $$$ conserns, you ether want to trust your tools or be cheap. I would rather invest in a tool that will last longer than me and give me a correct reading through the years. All though I should be telling people to buy cheap tools, fixing what you break pays my rent :lol:

There are more than two types of tools - cheap and good.

There's tools meant to be used 24 hours a day 365 days a year. "Industrial/Continuous Use" Then there's tools meant to be used 8 hours a day 250 days a week. "Commercial Use" Then there's tools meant to be used an hour a week for a few years. "Homeowner/Residential Use"

No reason for a homeowner to buy an industrial use tool.

A beam-type torque wrench is cheap and effective. I have a 0-60 inch-pound beam wrench that cost like $35.

DeadheadSF Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:29 pm

ccpalmer wrote:

No reason for a homeowner to buy an industrial use tool.

A beam-type torque wrench is cheap and effective. I have a 0-60 inch-pound beam wrench that cost like $35.

My general rules when buying tools - or just about anything else:

1) Made in China? No thanks.
2) See rule #1.

Obviously it's hard to stick to these rules all the time, but when the option exists, I take it.

I'd rather pay a little more for a tool that's at least known to be good (and not made by 10c/hour wage slaves out of questionable materials). $180 is a little much though for this tool. I'll see what (if anything) Sears has to offer. The local sears tools/auto section is a bit weak on selection.

doc1369 Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:43 pm

Even if you only use it three times, do you really want to use a 35 dollar torque wrench to assemble a 2000 dollar engine? I have this conversation more than once every day. People think they are saving money only to spend more in the end. Once again their mistakes are my gain though. I still try and save every one I can. v

ccpalmer Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:09 am

True; accuracy is the other quality factor along with longevity/continuous duty...

But aren't beam-type wrenches just as... or more... accurate than click/digital types unless you spend massive bucks?

awreed Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:50 pm

Bringing this back up.

Was replacing the oil pump on my bus motor due to a leak. Used my new Pittsburgh (HF) click style torque wrench on the case flange nuts above and below the pump. Right away it felt wrong when it seemed to click too early. I'm not a professional mechanic, but I've been wrenching on my VWs and many other VWs for long enough to know what 15 ft. lbs. should feel like. Put my Powerbuilt beam style torque wrench on and sure enough, the nuts were under torqued.

So if the Pittsburgh torque wrenches are more accurate at high torque values and less so at low torques, what about the beam style wrench? Can I trust it at torques under 25 ft. lbs., or should I shell out for a better clicker wrench?

In the meantime I'm going to try and bench test both of my wrenches with weights.

raygreenwood Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:50 pm

This company has some superb inch pound torque products and the prices are good. They have a long and old reputation.

http://www.seekonk.com/21/home.htm

This is a superb wrench that is 0-75 inch pounds with +/- 3% of full scale accuracy and comes with an NIST calibration certificate. You can get a type 2 cert for $65...an audible beep can be added for about $80 and a memory needle for $20.
I got to use one from a friend about a year ago...and will be getting myself one for Christmas for adjusting bearing pre-loads. I will get the memory needle so that I can use in for checking turning torque...x number of rotations and check what the torque was on the memory needle.

At $171....its a bargain.

http://www.seekonk.com/cat-43-1-54/inch-pound-dial-torque-wrench.htm These are listed under the torque gauges tab. Its not a ratcheting wrench.

http://www.seekonk.com/prod-24-1-101-54/seekonk-ts...n-lbs-.htm

The one I am looking at.

You should dig through their range of tools just to see what they have.

Made in Massachusetts.

Zundfolge1432 Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:58 am

awreed wrote: Bringing this back up.

Was replacing the oil pump on my bus motor due to a leak. Used my new Pittsburgh (HF) click style torque wrench on the case flange nuts above and below the pump. Right away it felt wrong when it seemed to click too early. I'm not a professional mechanic, but I've been wrenching on my VWs and many other VWs for long enough to know what 15 ft. lbs. should feel like. Put my Powerbuilt beam style torque wrench on and sure enough, the nuts were under torqued.

So if the Pittsburgh torque wrenches are more accurate at high torque values and less so at low torques, what about the beam style wrench? Can I trust it at torques under 25 ft. lbs., or should I shell out for a better clicker wrench?

In the meantime I'm going to try and bench test both of my wrenches with weights.

This subject comes up in one form or another often. Sometimes it's torque wrenches, sometimes tool boxes or just hand tools in general. Just what do you get when you buy professional tools of the highest grade?

You get consistent results every time, you get professional results, you get a guarantee and usually some form of customer service if problems arise. I can guarantee you this the person or persons working on this engine don't use harbor freight tools. In fact there's a small range of tools deemed acceptable for this.would you feel safe at 36,000 ft knowing a Chinese torque wrench had been used on this?

VOLKSWAGNUT Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:13 pm

Advice.. Never EVER loan out your quality torque wrenches or multi meters...

And.. for what it's worth.. (not because of the above statement though :lol: )

Below is the company I use for regular Torque Wrench maintenance, calibration and repairs.

http://anglerepair.com/

Good people and service. I highly recommend them.

Harbor Freight torque wrenches... ha.. that simply cracks me up.. :lol:

One thing I dont skimp on are quality precision instruments..