TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
dcdubs Tue May 02, 2017 5:14 pm

this is my tent it has a ZVW part number and some cool instructions with a bellbottomed girl putting it together.....its so easy a girl can erect it by herself!

I like the nostalgia of the canvas but would be sweet to get someone to remake it in current lightweight wind and waterproof materials. or have the top a screen with a rain fly you could put on would be nice.

dcdubs Tue May 02, 2017 5:16 pm

sorry for the grainy pics that was an iphone3

dcdubs Tue May 02, 2017 5:31 pm

I got pics

notchboy Tue May 02, 2017 8:47 pm

Oh thats a nice one. I like those the best. The one I have seems massive.

Could you please make a nice big sweet scan of those instructions? Im not sure Ive seen a instructional guide like that :shock:

Cheers for doing so! Free beer when you see me.

crushie Sat May 13, 2017 2:24 pm

I am after the aluminum part from the pole rope that connects to the tent stake.
Anyone know where I could pick on up?
Thanks.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1517389.jpg

alman72 Sat May 13, 2017 2:48 pm

notchboy wrote: Oh thats a nice one. I like those the best. The one I have seems massive.

Could you please make a nice big sweet scan of those instructions? Im not sure Ive seen a instructional guide like that :shock:

Cheers for doing so! Free beer when you see me.

yes, scans please! I will mail you a beer.

notchboy Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:55 am

Very nice modern tent on sale!

https://www.serial-kombi.com/en-GB/camping-leisure...py-n318097

Tcash Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:20 am

NOS 231 069 740 T2 Westy Tent Pole

mclynch310 Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:00 pm

Where can I find replacement poles and how do yo guys wash your canvas

notchboy Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:20 pm

Poles can be had in may ways. They still sell generic aluminum poles that can be made to work. Ive seen others make stuff from electrical conduit to gas pipe. If its a rod or a tube then its been used to hold up a tent.

That method lends itself to the clown absurd fixes to some decent looking replacements. But none of its original. For that you will need to search the classifieds. There are pole sets out there. Some will part, most will not and command high prices for the lot. There seem to be more tents without poles than poles without tents.

If I needed a pole, I would make every effort to replicate a new piece. That would keep the value up as a whole and not look like you are trying to pass off second best goods on a $600 showpiece you may or may not use.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Alloy-tent-pole-camping-tent-pipe_60045678988.html

Cleaning is anything from a wet cloth to a dunking in a small kiddy pool. I just cleaned my rear tent a bit with an upholstery/carpet spot cleaner.

http://www.highwaydreams.net/cleaning-mould-off-canvas-tents-camper-trailers-etc/

SamboSamba22 Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:55 am

Thanks for the link Jason, that was two hours of my life that Iíll never get back!
Just solidifying my condition of being a stock VW nerd...
Great info \:D/

notchboy Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:22 pm

Im surprised you haven't browsed it earlier? :lol:

SamboSamba22 Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:39 am

Would anyone care to share with me the lengths of the awning poles? I'm having to fabricate some since my originals were missing, and while I'm out getting some conduit for the roof poles, I'd like to have a decent display at the show in a month.
Dimensions por favor

DougB Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:04 am

Not sure if this helps, but few if any of my side tents seem to have the awning poles, so I bought an aluminum sectioned tent/tarp pole from REI...they're gold anodized (not all that far off from the coating on the factory tent poles) and, IIRC, maybe $30 each. Yeah, more than electrical conduit (my user tent has a set of poles I made from conduit) but very handy due to the bungied sections.

https://www.rei.com/product/845322/rei-co-op-adjustable-tarp-pole-single

(the ones I have aren't "adjustable")...I think I went with the 6 ft ones.

- Doug

WestyPop Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:58 am

Eureka tent company also has some good telescoping-adjustable tent/tarp poles in a variety of lengths. In the past we've used them & also stocked them at our camping-oriented sporting goods outfitter business (also in the past!). No problems ever encountered with them AFAIR.

The official Eureka service info is at https://www.eurekacamping.com/accessories/repair-kits-poles/aluminum-height-adjustable-ha-pole As per usual, you may find them for less than the MSRP @ any number of online suppliers.

MrHyak Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:05 pm

This may be similar to the questions above....I have a friend who has a 71 bay window and just purchased a Raleigh Motochalet VW side tent but it has no poles. Looking for anyone here who might have the same tent that could share a photo and/or sizes of the poles needed to make his tent work. It is a mostly brown tent with no bottom. We pulled it out of the bag and checked it over.

Thanks!!

Jack

SamboSamba22 Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:23 am

MrHyak wrote: This may be similar to the questions above....I have a friend who has a 71 bay window and just purchased a Raleigh Motochalet VW side tent but it has no poles. Looking for anyone here who might have the same tent that could share a photo and/or sizes of the poles needed to make his tent work. It is a mostly brown tent with no bottom. We pulled it out of the bag and checked it over.

Thanks!!

Jack
I am missing a couple for my tent, and with the upcoming show a week out, I am going to measure the diameter and length needed for the center "roof" poles, and replicate them out of electrical conduit. Haven't decided how I am going to tackle the awning poles, more than likely with the use of conduit as well.

jslmc1 Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:22 pm

Eclipse big top tent!

snallygaster Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:20 pm

dcdubs wrote: I got pics

I just picked up one of these for $10 at a yard sale. Score! Found good directions and historical info at wetwestys.com

notchboy Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:04 pm

Wanted to post this tent info here as well.

Early 70's Klepper Tent.