TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Official Side Tent thread FAQ Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
notchboy Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:42 am


Jetfxr69 Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:10 pm

This looks like the spot to show off my latest score.





Very nice condition, with no rips , and all poles and hangers intact. Even mounted the hanger clips properly this time. :wink:

notchboy Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:26 pm

You did score. Nice tent. =D>

Turbod16v Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:33 am

I picked up a White Stag Universal Van side tent recently. used it on a 3 day camping trip last weekend and was amazed at how well it held up in the rains with out leaking until the very heavy rains and winds picked up, then it shifted some and started ponding on sides of roof causing drips. Need to clean and waterproof it.

does anyone with a white stage Bus version have closer pics of how it is supposed to install to a bus? this universal version has a lot of extra fabric to be used on larger side doors. ended up rolling it all up and using magnets to hold in place.
we are thinking if we can get good images of the bus specific install or sizes we can cut and sew this one to fit better.

sorry didn't take more pics of it for reference while set up to bus.


notchboy Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:50 am

Turbod16v wrote: I picked up a White Stag Universal Van side tent recently. used it on a 3 day camping trip last weekend and was amazed at how well it held up in the rains with out leaking until the very heavy rains and winds picked up, then it shifted some and started ponding on sides of roof causing drips. Need to clean and waterproof it.

does anyone with a white stage Bus version have closer pics of how it is supposed to install to a bus? this universal version has a lot of extra fabric to be used on larger side doors. ended up rolling it all up and using magnets to hold in place.
we are thinking if we can get good images of the bus specific install or sizes we can cut and sew this one to fit better.

sorry didn't take more pics of it for reference while set up to bus.




Is your opening similar to this?


Turbod16v Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:24 pm

Yes, it has old flexible magnet sewn on it as well but the magnets have cracked apart and no longer that magnetic.
We have just rolled the access and used stronger magnets to hold it on.

notchboy Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:10 pm

Then it uses a bar that slides into the top of the door flap, that then rests in the rain gutter. They make clamps that hold each end. The sides should be elastic like bungii.

Turbod16v Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:12 am

notchboy wrote: Then it uses a bar that slides into the top of the door flap, that then rests in the rain gutter. They make clamps that hold each end. The sides should be elastic like bungii.

I found the instructions for the bus version and looked but there is no pocket or provision for a bar to go into on this one.
I will have to set it up and get measurements of the opening and pics of it. It also has ropes to pull ot tite attached to the opening.

71whitewesty Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:28 am

Jetfxr69 wrote: This looks like the spot to show off my latest score.





Very nice condition, with no rips , and all poles and hangers intact. Even mounted the hanger clips properly this time. :wink:

Nice tent! Looks like you ironed it :lol:
One small detail on your set up. When you set up the stripped awning with the two poles, there is a small hook and loop at the top of the awning that should be hooked together. This takes up some slack and helps to shed the rain off it, otherwise it pools in the awning. :D

notchboy Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:06 am

71whitewesty wrote:
One small detail on your set up. When you set up the stripped awning with the two poles, there is a small hook and loop at the top of the awning that should be hooked together. This takes up some slack and helps to shed the rain off it, otherwise it pools in the awning. :D




Ahhh, learned something today. :lol:


From 71whitewesty -



richparker Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:21 am

Rockin my Spacemaker tent!



Jetfxr69 Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:15 pm

Good to know Mr White, thank you.

LiamKO Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:08 pm

Great post! Actually, I have been enjoying the entire thread. I donít have a VW myself, but I am looking into getting one for exactly this reason. The pictures everyone has been posting of their side tents has filled me with veritable envy Ö I am so ready to take the leap! Now all I need is a few grand to get momís old VW working, then Iíll be off to the races.

I have a bit of a question for the community, and I am hoping that this thread is the place to ask it. In preparation for getting my own rig, I am wondering how possible it will be to use the 8-person tent that I currently have as an attached side tent for my rig. The tent I am thinking of is the Gazelle T4 Plus. Thereís a pretty good rundown of it over at Wildproof .

You know how it goes. Just trying to save a few bucks here and there, and I already love this tent. I am interested in hearing more about creating custom side tents from the pros, if anyone is interested. Specifically, how to attach a pre-made 8 person tent to the side of a VW.

Thanks for the help!

Turbod16v Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:22 am

Ok so here are some more pictures of the white stag universal side tent.
I would like to get the flap measurements from a non universal one to have the side modified to be similar.
Especially the flap to put the bar in for rain gutter.

This one has no elastic or flaps to put a tube in at all just alot of thin magnets that have gone dead.
The door flap sticks out 26" on this one all the way around.









notchboy Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:57 pm

Very nice, and super cool 8)

airkooledchris Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:26 pm

I had a vintage White Stag tent I used for a few years, it was fantastic. Be careful with the zippers though, mine started shredding off teeth within the first few months. Once it needed a full replacement I ended up trading it off to someone else. Kinda wish I kept it tho, it's a cool unit.

Turbod16v Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:14 am

airkooledchris wrote: I had a vintage White Stag tent I used for a few years, it was fantastic. Be careful with the zippers though, mine started shredding off teeth within the first few months. Once it needed a full replacement I ended up trading it off to someone else. Kinda wish I kept it tho, it's a cool unit.

Our tent sat in the original owners garage for 15years..first time we set it up the zipper to van port, on the right side, split an now wont go back together. At least they're double zippered to close the left side!

Anyone one reading this have the bus specific version?

notchboy Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:47 am

Turbod16v wrote: airkooledchris wrote: I had a vintage White Stag tent I used for a few years, it was fantastic. Be careful with the zippers though, mine started shredding off teeth within the first few months. Once it needed a full replacement I ended up trading it off to someone else. Kinda wish I kept it tho, it's a cool unit.

Our tent sat in the original owners garage for 15years..first time we set it up the zipper to van port, on the right side, split an now wont go back together. At least they're double zippered to close the left side!

Anyone one reading this have the bus specific version?

Which one?



or


Turbod16v Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:13 pm

Hmm...my stag universal tent seems like it has the doors of the brown one an the windows of the blue an yellow???

Are the flaps to hook to bus sliding door the same on both or different?

I see the brown one has a port like mine but see no magnets an what looks like the roof bar pocket.
How far does it come out?
Rain gutter bar pocket dimensions?

Thanks

notchboy Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:15 pm

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC






Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group