TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Clue me in on VW automatics....
The13bats Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:30 am

I really like my trike, the second one I have owned but it seems I am always up and down shifting so I was thinking about installing the VW automatic transaxle but need some info to learn if the swap is worth it,

My trike is based on a type one the engine is type one 1600,
I am told that the type one never came factory with the full automatic transaxle...I do NOT want auto stick.

So which automatic transaxle do I use and is it a bolt in or are they mods if you mod what do you have to do to make the swap work out,

Many thanks!
Cheers,
P.

wbrown45 Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Type III's and buses came with full automatics later in their model runs. I had a '77 bus with the automatic, and a 2 liter. It was very smooth, but an absolute slug on acceleration.

oasis Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:17 am

I have zero experience with automatics (not counting the EuroVan and my dad's Passat which are totally different animals anyway), but the few people I trust say the Type III automatic is simple and reliable.

When looking for a Type IV engine for my Super Beetle, people generally said to steer clear of examples that lived their first life in a bus because they would be more worn out before starting any kind of upright conversion. Again, I have no first-hand experience, but I would automatically (unintentional pun intentionally left in) extend that same concern to a tranny originating from a bus. I'm sure if I am off-base here with that concern, someone will pipe in. Just a thought. Good luck.

frankentrike Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:49 am

my trike is a 3 speed auto.runs fine. in fact ,po had modded the dipstick/fill tube slightly[bent it]to fit in the space.result was the o-ring around mounting point was not in place..water seeped in for a couple of years. didn't know it till i saw tranny fluid coming out of filltube mount.drained it,[around 2 1/2 gls]flushed it[11 fluid changes]runs great.not a tire burner mind you but,smooth,no hiccups or surges.don't know but, would guess it came out of a bus.this is just my story now,don't take it for gospel.good luck on your trike.bob :)

The13bats Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks frankentrike,
My trike is based on a type one beetle, so I have to find out will the automatic fit in there, then I "thought" the automatics had special oil pumps on the engine,

We went out for a long drive on the trike last night, I have it shifting almost as good as a car but the shifter is out the left side and 1st gear runs out wicked fast then most of the cruise was in 3rd and up and down shifting...hence I want the automatic to make it more fun and so my wife can drive it too....she can drive a stick but this would drive her nuts.

brettsvw Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:14 am

The TypeIII auto is fully automatic and has been used on trikes with TypeI applications.

You will need to make mounting adaptors to make this work because TypeIII's did not have frame horns for mounting the rear part of the transaxle. The CV's and axles are different lengths so you need the ones that come with the auto transaxle.

Trying to find any info on this will not be easy since there are not masses doing this.

The best I can tell you is if you have a welder and a TypeIII auto laying around and trust your own fabrication and welding, I say go for it.

Brett