TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Installing new window rubber!
Drew Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:39 am

Hi everyone. I am gonna start doing the seals on my bus, so i figured i would start with the back passenger side seal without the wing. I had to questions. First off i am gonna do the window with the "Cal look" molding on it. can i order and put the molding on later after it is already in? Secondly i could use a step by step break down of how to do it right. Tricks and tips. I am gonna go get my split buddy who did all his to help me out as well. Thanks again guys
Drew

regalasr Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:40 am

Answer to your first questions is a no. You have to decide if you want the cal look rubber windows seals or if you want to keep your chrome strips. You will not be able to install chome strips later because the cal look seal does not have the groove to place the chrome strip into.

The answer to your 2nd questions is you need to seach the archives here and at the Type2.com website for detailed installation tips. You will not get an answer from the helpful people here because they have gone over this a million times for new people like us. They are not trying to be mean, they just have answered this inquiry so many times they need to reserve their time for other new topics that come up. You will find plenty of window install tips when you search the archives.

55samba Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:30 pm

this must be a bay window because a split bus does not use chrome trim. In a bug you cannot install the trim later because once installed the rubber is to pinched together to fit the trim. You install the rubber on the window then put the trim in the rubber, put wire, like 18 gauge in the lip of the seal. You then put soap on this area including where the wire is tucked in, have a buddy apply light preasure on the window while you pull the wire out. The most important part is the preasure you apply on the glass, near the end you may have to push away from the car. If part of the rubber lip does not go in either start over or be very careful folding it in with a screwdriver. I have broken some glass that way.

Drew Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:38 am

ok, i forgot to say yes it is a baywindow. i know... i wanted a splitty to bad but i decided this was a little safer for daily driving. ok so, i may have messed up again, i ordered the seal that has the groove for the trim. but i did not order the trim. now my question was can i put the seal in then add the trim later? ok and thanks for the link help, i just thought maybe someone came up with a new hint or trick. an yes indeed they are helpful, sorry to rehash, something, again.
drew

regalasr Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:13 am

No, unfortunately you can't add the chrome or plastic window trim once the windows are installed. The groove will get compressed when you have the windows installed and you will not be able to press the delicate window trim in without mangling it.