TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: $24 K-Mart Awning Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
MayorMcCheese Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:08 pm

midmo81 wrote: Just finished my DIY awning. PVC tube cut in half, hinges, clasps, end caps, poles, homemade brackets, and a little paint to match my camper. Poles roll up in the tarp to travel. All under $50.

Wow that's awesome.

MayorMcCheese Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:54 pm

Got mine today, current sale ends tomorrow

edit: Judging by the earlier pics in the thread the one I got is a better design, the fabric pockets for the tent poles have been replaced metal sockets attached to the frame.

Looks like I'll have to chop the legs off of 2 corners if I want it to sit in the rain gutter though.

rokko16v Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:45 pm

I was reading this thread and decided to check out my local Kmart. Turns out they had this same (newer version) canopy on sale for $29.99. I l had to modify 2 off the poles (grind the long extension off) and use a couple of spring clamps to clamp it to the van. I used the extra 2 guide lines to help further secure the front side of the canopy. After returning from a weekend trip at the beach I am very impressed with how well it assembles and how well it stores. There were also some pretty high winds at points and the awning held strong.

Forthwithtx Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:02 pm

Is it just me, or do the majority of photos of deployed shades on The Samba show the desired shady area to be actually in the sun? Looks like there is a sweet spot of the day for these to be useful. I'm not just being a smart butt. I'm thinking of some shade device at all levels of expenditure, and am really wondering how useful they really are, and therefore, how much to spend. I do like "cheap".

Cheers,

-Karl

dhaavers Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:32 pm

Park and set the awning however you like...it also works well for staying dry!

8)

gene l Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:28 pm

MIDMO81

MIDMO81

What size pipe is that?

GENE L

MayorMcCheese Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:24 pm

Looks like 3" to me

ThankYouJerry Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:40 pm

Update:

NLA at Kmart

Now $93 (inc shipping) at Amazon :roll: :evil: :roll:

http://www.amazon.com/Northwest-Territory-Gazebo-L...ade+Canopy

djkeev Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:39 am

Well...... That's one low cost option gone.

It seems that another often will arise with the "need".

Dave