TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cooling a Type 3
LAfasty Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:01 pm

Hello Samba,

I have a 69 fastback with a 1776 motor with all the trimmings, pushing 95 hp probably. When I drive for extended periods, i can tell the engine is getting warmer than it would like to be. My mechanic swears I will regret installing a oil cooler or electric fan. Can anyone confirm or deny this assessment? Anyone have a solution?

Thanks, Alex :roll:

Air-Cooled Head Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:37 pm

Why would you regret it, unless you use cheap hoses or don't properly secure them. Then you'll get oil everywhere.

Solution? Find another mechanic :!:

josh Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:59 pm

The only problem with full flowing a type 3 is it's different and a little harder to do than with a type 1. If done properly it's a wise investment. The samba thread,"Don't make this mistake..." has a link wich shows a good install. Those berg parts that he uses are generally considered the best and some say the only ones that will fit right. The oil pump and not just the cover is supposed to be exellent. It's a hard anodized bluprinted stock pump. I havent tried one yet myself.

Fastmatt Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:16 am

Concur with the above, and (as I've sermonized previously) just make sure the guy who is doing the porting/selling is VERY clear that you are making this mod on a Type III - otherwise, you may end up with a pump that is too think on the flange, and a cover that has an outlet angle of 45 degrees (vice 90) that won't allow you to put the fan housing back on...an expensive mistake.

josh Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:33 pm

One more thing, if you intsall a cooler install a filter too and a thermostat that only lets hot oil get cooled is a good idea too.