TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: type3 to type 1 empi dipstick adapter fit issues? (pic)
Kommercial Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:18 pm

Anyone have trouble with these? Mine is at least 3 inches off of where it should come through the german tin hole next to the pulley. A friend put one on 20 years ago and I remember his had the same issue. No evidence of being bent. Should these match up to original tin? Tube angle matches the angle of the hole where it is drilled through the base plate of the part. I'm guessing bending it would cause the dipstick not to fit and the epoxy around the tube base to crack.....

R.C.N. Bugs Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:58 am

in the middle of the same problem and i did crack the epoxy i dont know what to do either

Jody '71 Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:40 am

Been some 30 years since I owned a type 3, but that doesn't look like an adapter, more like the regular tube for a type 3. If it were an adapter, shouldn't the tube go straight up and pass through the pulley tin hole? Why not ask the type 3 guys on their forum here??? Are there any more pics of this application in the Gallery???

mxracer Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:56 am

I suspect that is a "nice try" at an adapter.

The Type 3 oil fill comes off the case and has about a 5 inch "bend" to the right. That wouldn't work in a Type 3 either.

Have you thought about just having the case machined for a "correct" Type 1 dipstick tube? Looks like it would be easier in the end.

That or drill a new hole in your breast plate and run it. :?

Keith Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:18 am

Jody '71 wrote: Been some 30 years since I owned a type 3, but that doesn't look like an adapter, more like the regular tube for a type 3. If it were an adapter, shouldn't the tube go straight up and pass through the pulley tin hole? Why not ask the type 3 guys on their forum here??? Are there any more pics of this application in the Gallery???

Its an adapter. The type 3 tube is about an 1 1/4" i.d. and has about a 90 degree bend in it. An upright dipstick would fall right in it handle and all. A type 3 doesnt use an upright style dipstick instead it has a large twist cap like a small gas cap with the dipstick connected to it because the dipstick tube is also the oil fill tube. I made my own adapter just like this for a conversion I did.

R.C.N. Bugs Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:52 am

any one else can help with this issue

Kommercial Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:35 pm

Ok so my workaround was to heat up the epoxy with my mapp gas torch and the tube pulled right out. Then I clamped the adapter base into my vice and drilled straight down into it with my drill press. Slid the tube back in and since I drilled right on the drill depth, the dip stick is still at the same height. A little epoxy around the base and I'm in business.

R.C.N. Bugs Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:00 pm

so all you did is change the angle it was originally drilled at??? i drilled the tin. i know i hacked it. and still jb welded the dip stick so it dosnt leak

Kommercial Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:08 pm

Yes

mxracer Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:52 pm

That's not a workaround that's a fix. :D

Nice work.

R.C.N. Bugs Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:26 pm

good work now i know.

houseofboyd Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:19 am

Nice job...I'm facing the same situation right now...would rather try to modify the tube/adapter than to modify the tin.....thanks for the heads up....

grandpa pete Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:58 am

Another idea is leave the original tube and bend the flexible hose straight up...secured in place with tye wrap

66 sedan delivery with type 3 engine