TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: The 1.8T Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Beetsport Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:36 am

We started installing VW 1.8T engines in 2005. Since then we have converted many loved Vanagons with this engine and a couple trailers :wink: We have come a long way since our first install!

For some time now we have been working on an install kit for those who choose this wonderful power plant. Our goal was to provide everything needed to install your 1.8T engine with a complete instruction manual.

This 1.8T engine has been a topic on Thesamba for a long time now. The topic of which engine is the best has been expressed over and over on Thesamba. We all have different driving needs. This engine fits me the best. Do your research on what fits you the best :)

Many of you have been waiting patiently for our 1.8T conversion kit to become available. We are now ready to release a small batch for beta testers. Contact me if your are interested. You can also check out http://www.h2ovanagon.com/H2oVanagoncom.aspx for more information.

We have sources for donor 1.8T engine that come with everything needed to complete your conversion. There is not one item you will need besides fluids and tools to install the 1.8T engine.
All nuts bolts and washers, plug and play wiring harness, intake exhaust, coolant hoses, fuel and vapor hoses, fuel and air filters, power steering, spark plugs, etc. Everything :!:

Here are a few pictures of some items we provide

Step by step instructions

We really enjoy bringing a smile to Vanagon drivers :D :D

beelzibus Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:21 am

What sort of mpg figures do you get from a 1.8T in a heavy bus? I see you run a 240 brake motor, (chipped I presume?) in a Syncro Westy, I run an EJ25 in my Syncro Westy, which is great, but the thirst for fuel is frightening. That's only about 160-170 brake. Future plans were to go up to an H6, but the more I see and read about 1.8T conversions, the more I like the sound of them. Also what gearbox mods are you running to withstand that torque?
Cheers.

lloydy Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:48 am

I couldn't see the price of the kit?
How much is it?

svenakela Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:53 am

beelzibus wrote: What sort of mpg figures do you get from a 1.8T in a heavy bus? I see you run a 240 brake motor, (chipped I presume?) in a Syncro Westy, I run an EJ25 in my Syncro Westy, which is great, but the thirst for fuel is frightening. That's only about 160-170 brake. Future plans were to go up to an H6, but the more I see and read about 1.8T conversions, the more I like the sound of them. Also what gearbox mods are you running to withstand that torque?
Cheers.

According the mileage thread and my graphical representation, you should get 20-23 MPG.

That conversion kit looks very nice!

insyncro Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:32 am

Bravo SAH :!:

kc8tpr Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:28 am

lloydy wrote: I couldn't see the price of the kit?
How much is it?

im curious as well.
Ive already got a mechanically good 1.8t from a swap i did in a cabrio. And it just so happens that my van needs an engine as well.

Escorial Syncro Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:17 am

For pricing, just click on the link in the initial post to SAH website, then click on the "2012 Conversion Brochure" or something like that. Pricing is laid out there.

Steelhead Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:32 am

Well done Stefan! Very cool.

rubbachicken Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:46 am

WOW that looks very cool
$6500, and there's a lot for your money looking at the pictures

big smiles from here, now can anyone lend us $6500 :lol:

singler3360 Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:27 am

Sticky!

svenakela wrote: beelzibus wrote: What sort of mpg figures do you get from a 1.8T in a heavy bus? I see you run a 240 brake motor, (chipped I presume?) in a Syncro Westy, I run an EJ25 in my Syncro Westy, which is great, but the thirst for fuel is frightening. That's only about 160-170 brake. Future plans were to go up to an H6, but the more I see and read about 1.8T conversions, the more I like the sound of them. Also what gearbox mods are you running to withstand that torque?
Cheers.

According the mileage thread and my graphical representation, you should get 20-23 MPG.

That conversion kit looks very nice!

lloydy Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:49 am

Escorial Syncro wrote: For pricing, just click on the link in the initial post to SAH website, then click on the "2012 Conversion Brochure" or something like that. Pricing is laid out there.
Found it! Good price for a plug and play option

Beetsport Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:27 pm

Pricing is now on our web page. Beta testers receive 20% off this price.. http://www.h2ovanagon.com/H2oVanagonConversions/InstallationPricing.aspx

Fuel mileage is increased from the stock Vanagon engine. For me I can see high teens to low twenties when I want to. Usually I don't drive that way though.. :lol:

Oiling plates and 4th gear are the only mods in my tranny. We haven't had any reports of transmission failure due to power increase with our 1.8T conversions.

Crankey Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:56 pm

well, this looks like a great setup. too bad it's coming along about 2 months after I took the plunge with another engine.

someday, I may be ready to swap again though and by that time, beta will be long over with your kit and I'm sure it will only get better. I wish you great sales and success with it and I just might be a customer for it in future.

kirkvw72 Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:09 am

Still looking for beta testers?

Beetsport Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:45 am

We are almost done with the beta phase of our 1.8T kit and are looking for one more beta tester.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks !

:D

Ryan Keating Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:25 am

If I could do it all over again I would do the 1.8t over the SVX. Just seems like a great little engine with good gas mileage and plenty of power.

dredward Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:57 pm

Couldn't be happier! I've driven over 17k miles. The past 1.5 months ive driven 2400 miles. I've averaged over 20 mpg travelling 65-70ish.

modelttouring Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:23 pm

I agree with dredward. Stephan did my conversion in 2010,I have 26,000 on the conversion.I think it the best bet for Cal legal swaps.

dredward Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:53 pm

modelttouring wrote: I agree with dredward. Stephan did my conversion in 2010,I have 26,000 on the conversion.I think it the best bet for Cal legal swaps.
It's the best bar none. 8)

thatvwbusguy Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:59 am

dredward, I remember seeing a post a while back that your tranny was toast, but no follow up on the root cause. Is the chipped 1.8T possibly a little bit too much juice for the stock box, or do you attribute the failure to something unrelated to the extra power and torque?