TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: SC Pickup Page: 1, 2  Next
chad.forward Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:44 pm

After 6 long years I think it is finally time to start building the ride I have had in my head forever...

So here is basically where we start...

I am of the strong belief that it takes a team to build a car in a timeframe so I will be employing the services of some of what I feel to be the best people in the business for getting this thing done. The plan is a little unconventional but It is what I want...

This is prety much how I bought it...

Employed the services of LAMDesigns to do a rendering of directions...

Spoke to the best team I know in VW resto...

Employed a test drive team to drive the body to into the shop...

Moved it into the deconstruction zone...

Sash quickly made one into two...

We really wanted to see where it was going to sit and putting the cab on deck realised that it needed to be lower than this...

Before I could say GO Sash had already repaired the roof and found good solid metal under 50 years of crunk...

Once the roof was repaired we put the cab on its back to reveal more crunk...
BEFORE

AFTER

After removal of the greater part of an entire desert of sand and dirt it was on to the rotisserie for yet more waste removal...

Repairs complete on the cab and rust removed it is now ready for the blaster...

Whilst waiting for the blaster Sash had the doors dipped and deoxed them and has now completed all the repairs on them as well...

The cab goes to the blaster tomorrow weather permitting and I have been feverishly working on the cad for the front chassis section which I will add to the list of stuff to follow on this build... Will keep eveyone updated as things happen...

chad.forward Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Sasha is doing an amazing job... I feel really fotunate that he might take on this build and am super excited to see its progress... Plans are quite extensive so here goes with a brief list... final details will become clearer as we progress...
Stock looking SC pickup channeled over a scratch built chassis designed to lay flat sheetmetal all round on air suspension, BMW 5 series IRS with custom built tube IFS. Mid mount 6.0L corvette V8 disc brakes running on 15" or 16" whichever will fit over the brakes cragar deluxe wheels. Paint will be simple as per the rendering and I would like to run interchangeable deck elements like safari seats/canopy and or steel rack and or hay sides... The list continues but it gets pretty boring reading really so best get back on to the CAD work and try and sort out some laser cutting for the chassis components...

On with the progress...
Doors return from the dippers...

Cab went to blasters and has returned... Sasha has been flat out deoxing and metal conditioning this thing and I really cant thank him enough for the work to date... Delux Kustoms is where it is at... Time to order some parts...

Amazing to see it in primer this early in the piece... So much to do and so little time...

Doors repaired...

chad.forward Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Whilst Sasha now has the final panels to get the cab ready, I have been working feverishly on repair sections for the rails which once complete will be jigged square and joined to accomodate the suspension parts and engine...

Whilst I have been doing the rails I blasted the rear suspension and sent it to the powder coaters which has now returned so i can make up all the crossmembers needed to hang the suspension from. Will post pics once it all starts going together again...

chad.forward Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:48 pm

After going back and forth buying multiple sets of doglegs there are now gersons doglegs on their way from das auto in QLD... In the meantime Sasha has cut some more holes to make way for the new.

I have also built a chassis table to start setting up the rails and suspension on. This will also give Sasha better access for more cutting and replacing.

Once the new doglegs arrive we can really start getting the cab sorted... All the other panels are sitting in waiting...

chad.forward Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:48 pm

So Sasha did some more cutting and then started piecing some of the sheetmetal parts back together...
New lower inner nose...

New pillar lowers... After POR15 application all masked ready for etch...

Front indicators deleted and all etched...

Rails tacked to bench and squared...

Rear chassis section sleeved and overlapped all tacked in...

A view from the top...

All welded up and smooth...

Mocking up the BMW rear end...

Etched to protect...

chad.forward Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:49 pm

While Sash works away feverishly I get sidetracked and draw on my notes...

Doors back on and doglegs going in... Bumper mounts have been shaved out and will be replaced with some machined pins at a later date...

Now we can work out tubs and get things moving to have the cab sorted...

chad.forward Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:50 pm

Doglegs are now in with the extension as well as the lower pillar...

More updates soon... Tax time is upon us so parts will be ordered in the coming weeks and I am hoping to find a week to take off and see what we can get done...

chad.forward Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:50 pm

Measuring up for tubs... Smoothed pinch at rear of cab smoothed a bunch of other stuff that was irritating me...

gostros Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:54 pm

wow - incredible work

notchback Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:51 pm

Not what I would ever do to a VW, but it looks incredible.

SO IRIE Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:33 pm

wow thats um......
really low hahahaha
looking forward to seeing more
the pace is great!

Jon65 Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:50 pm

Nice work.

HighTopBay Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:50 pm

wow. impressive!

chickengeorge Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:10 pm

notchback wrote: Not what I would ever do to a VW.
Work on it?

cdennisg Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:12 pm

Consider me a subscriber. Great thread! Looking forward to the end result.

notchback Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:23 am

chickengeorge wrote: notchback wrote: Not what I would ever do to a VW.
Work on it? That too. :lol: :lol:

1low65 Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:07 pm

I'm loving where this one is headed. I will be watching this one to the end.

artie325 Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:34 am

Cool build! I can't wait to see the finished product.

CUCARACHA Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:18 am

AMAZING WORK ! 8)

babysnakes Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:24 am

Tony, put your pants back on. :lol: