TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: real time electrical help? no juice...
skivan Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:04 pm

probably a simple question, but i may have messed something up and could use a hand. i'm putting my van back together after a full repaint/restoral (to be documented later) and now can't get her started.

it could have happened while mucking around behind the fuse panel to upgrade my lighting. i should say i'm not electrically inclined.

battery is charged, but when i turn the key...nothing. no audible click, no juice to anything else. It had started before i added the new lights. i'm thinking i may have disconnected something else in the wiring wad when i was pulling wire.

i've checked out the wiring diagram on bentley page 97.104 but i don't understand enough to know what i'm looking for (any link to a explanation of wiring diagram would be appreciated as well). one issue was a red wire on the back of the fuse box came unplugged. i *think* it went into connection N on the back, but that didn't help.

any ideas, suggestions? do take it a little easy on me. thanks!

two pics: the back of fuse box, white connector in lower left was plugged into section N on back of fuse panel. and the second is the van coming along.

crazyvwvanman Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:12 pm

Well there is your problem. The "N" connection is not used in Vanagons. That red wire should go to one of the large "P" spades.

Mark

skivan wrote: ...... one issue was a red wire on the back of the fuse box came unplugged. i *think* it went into connection N on the back, but that didn't help.

any ideas, suggestions? do take it a little easy on me. thanks!.....

skivan Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:17 pm

ding ding ding! just got back from driving around the block to find your reply. thanks very much. apparently the P on the wiring diagram corresponds with the P terminals on the back of the fuse panel. who knew? the van teaches me lesson 2874, or thereabouts.