TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Repairing/Refurbishing Interior Panels
ccb_dan Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:48 am

I did a quick search but admittedly I did not spend too much time looking so feel free to verbally abuse me for posting a question I am certain has been discussed over and over.

I have all the original interior panels for my 65 standard and most of them are in very good condition. However the long panel on the driver's side has a rip going from the bottom up about 8" or so. Like someone tried to pull the bottom of the panel out and it just ripped. Is there a good way to repair that without damaging the rest of the panel?

I'll try to post a pic of the rip later so you can see what I mean.

Thanks!

stevo Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:30 pm

hey dan, i'm doing this same job right this moment on my grey/mesh long panel. the rip is at the top. conspicuous, but i'm going for it. just glued the board. it was not a straight rip, it was more of a filet. i spread wood glue between the filet and have it vinyl side down with small plywood and a crank weighing it down. after a few hours i'll glue what i can on the front. i'm expecting a scar, but hoping i can shave remaining hairs, and color match imperfections with a marker. when i finish gluing the last of the perimeter i'll track down a 3x8 inch linoleum scrap and glue that splint on the back side, beginning a half inch down so the lino doesn't impact bus metal when installed.

ccb_dan Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:20 am

Awesome Steve.

Sounds like that should work. I might give the same method a whirl and see how it goes.

Much thanks for your reply!

otis_bartleh Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:21 am

I thought I'd bring this post back instead of starting a new one, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tricks for this as well.

My long panel has a tear, but the board is badly warped as well. I'm planning on replacing the board, but might try soaking the whole thing with water and laying it flat with a large wood board on top.

My biggest concern is that the og vinyl is pretty crispy, so I'd like to see if anyone has any suggestions on ways to work with this and not tear it any worse...

Braukuche Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:38 am

otis_bartleh wrote: I thought I'd bring this post back instead of starting a new one, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tricks for this as well.

My long panel has a tear, but the board is badly warped as well. I'm planning on replacing the board, but might try soaking the whole thing with water and laying it flat with a large wood board on top.

My biggest concern is that the og vinyl is pretty crispy, so I'd like to see if anyone has any suggestions on ways to work with this and not tear it any worse...

From previous posts I know glycerin is recommended as a softening agent. If the vinyl has shrunk you can use mild heat to stretch it. Soaking the board will soften it up and on a hot sunny day if you lay it out with some boards and weight on it it is supposed to resume its original shape more or less.
Disclaimer: I have not tried any of this yet, just recalling the suggestions.

otis_bartleh Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:26 pm

Braukuche wrote: From previous posts I know glycerin is recommended as a softening agent. If the vinyl has shrunk you can use mild heat to stretch it. Soaking the board will soften it up and on a hot sunny day if you lay it out with some boards and weight on it it is supposed to resume its original shape more or less.
Disclaimer: I have not tried any of this yet, just recalling the suggestions.

Thanks! And if I can get it close enough to put in, I'll be happy... She's a driver, not a show bus, so perfect isn't a requirement... :D

Atlantic Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:24 am

I have just tried this on the long and a smaller panel. Both were really bad - completely warped and bone hard. I soaked them for a while till they were fully wet, put plywood on top and parked a car on top of the ply for 1/2 day ('cause there was no way, they'd assume their orig shape just by lying around and drying). Only issue is that this way panels can't dry. So I had to let them dry in the open next day. They straightened out quite a bit, but are still warped.

Braukuche wrote: otis_bartleh wrote: I thought I'd bring this post back instead of starting a new one, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tricks for this as well.

My long panel has a tear, but the board is badly warped as well. I'm planning on replacing the board, but might try soaking the whole thing with water and laying it flat with a large wood board on top.

My biggest concern is that the og vinyl is pretty crispy, so I'd like to see if anyone has any suggestions on ways to work with this and not tear it any worse...

From previous posts I know glycerin is recommended as a softening agent. If the vinyl has shrunk you can use mild heat to stretch it. Soaking the board will soften it up and on a hot sunny day if you lay it out with some boards and weight on it it is supposed to resume its original shape more or less.
Disclaimer: I have not tried any of this yet, just recalling the suggestions.

... I don't know if I should mention this here, but I do have a very nice og grey/mesh long panel that I do not need - contact me if you are interested!

werksberg Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:08 pm

I tried the watering the OEM panel & lay them flat deal and they just fell apart on me so I couldn't make a master from them at all.... :roll:


Good luck!

otis_bartleh Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:48 pm

werksberg wrote: I tried the watering the OEM panel & lay them flat deal and they just fell apart on me so I couldn't make a master from them at all.... :roll:


Good luck!

Yikes... I'm lucky in that instance, my buddy has a long panel not on his bus right now that he said I could use to make the new one...

Thanks, gonna start working on it tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes... I just hope I don't break up the vinyl, but I'm afraid that's inevitable... :?

Clara Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:19 am

I've successfully soaked and flattened a number of og panels.

If it is very warped, be gentle. Hose it, and wait till it the water has soaked in. Then spray more water, and gently lay a board on. Don't put any weight on until it has started to relax, and is just wavy. Otherwise it is like smashing a potato chip #-o

If you wait a couple days they will dry out all the way. Well not outside in the rain. I tend to do that in the garage, as it is raining. Your climate may vary. Actually just put one to flatten today. Did I mention rain? Actually showers turning to rain. 8)

I recommend taking the chrome trim off before flattening.

otis_bartleh Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:15 am

Clara wrote: I've successfully soaked and flattened a number of og panels.

If it is very warped, be gentle. Hose it, and wait till it the water has soaked in. Then spray more water, and gently lay a board on. Don't put any weight on until it has started to relax, and is just wavy. Otherwise it is like smashing a potato chip #-o

If you wait a couple days they will dry out all the way. Well not outside in the rain. I tend to do that in the garage, as it is raining. Your climate may vary. Actually just put one to flatten today. Did I mention rain? Actually showers turning to rain. 8)

I recommend taking the chrome trim off before flattening.

Thanks! In some looking around, I've also seen upholstery folks recommend hand lotion to soften the vinyl, anyone have a though about that? Seems kind of odd, but who knows...

cru62 Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:37 am

Glycerin or Mineral Oil is essentially the same without the fragrance and should be MUCH cheaper. I used mineral oil on my resurrected floor mat with great results.



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group