TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Syncro internal tank filter/sieve tower
Cygnus Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:26 am

The problem was that the vehicle would intermittently starve for fuel - swerving (and thus sloshing the fuel) would correct it instantly. Theory was that there was crud in the tank sloshing around - what we found is that the reservoir itself was sliding around and thus blocking flow - as well as bits if rubber from the degraded internal hose.

So I have the tank out of my 86 syncro and the fuel filter thing that sits in (and holds down) the small reservoir is completely missing. This appears to be a part number 251-201-511G? Although that seems to cross with an earlier small inline clear fuel filter. This is more of a sieve tower sort of thing that threads into the outlet pipe thus holding the reservoir in place. Nobody seems to have such a beast so I think I am looking at engineering one. Does anyone know what the thread dimensions are on the output pipe elbow? (its threaded internally) Or does anyone know where to find the original part?

Thanks,

-Brian E.

hans j Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:58 am

My entire setup was missing in my gas fuel tank, I left it out when I changed to diesel. I think it's just something else to clog and rust.

syncrodoka Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:08 am

I like the system since the return line goes into that bowl and you have a much less chance of dry pumping the system on steep grades- up or down. My filter was in great shape when i cleaned out the tank.

I don't have the part number handy but this may be a decent work around. http://www.foreignautosupply.com/parts-accessories/39-syncro-in-tank-fitting/

7thing3 Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:31 am

What great timing. I am in the midst of a tank refurb. I guess I should feel grateful that my strainer is intact and everything seems to be OK. Broke a new fuel rollover vent while monkeying with the new lines. I think I am going to put some foam padding or something over them when I install the tank to help prevent breaking one off during that process. Any tips?

The Gowesty site lists a hose that connects the fuel sender to the reservoir. Is this any different than the regular hose used in the system? I realize it spends a good amount of its life immersed in fuel but is it really any different?

Altoona Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:34 am

7thing3 wrote: I realize it spends a good amount of its life immersed in fuel but is it really any different?

Yep, that is specialty hose, made to be immersed in gas. The outer covering of standard hose is not designed for direct fuel contact.

syncrodoka Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:38 am

Immersed in fuel rated hoses are expensive. I found it from other sources for $20 in 1 foot sections, sections over 1 foot and under a whole roll are hard to find.
18" or so is needed IIRC

There are a few good syncro tank install threads floating around.

Cygnus Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:14 pm

Thanks all - yes that part looks like what we cooked up already - we were going to put a screen on it but maybe leaving it off is best - can always put a filter downstream before the pump.

Oh and definitely get the submersible line. You don't want to have to pull that thing again for a long time!

-B

syncrodoka Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:57 pm

This is what it looks like. Part number 251133511 I believe that they are NLA.

jsmitch11 Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:40 pm

I got this from gowesty which correct hose for the app

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23554&category_id=&category_parent_id=

Sodo Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:22 am

Old thread....!!
GoWesty link is 404....
I found a website that said the 251133511 went NLA in 2008.

Have this '87 syncro that was parked for 31 years, and the gasoline has reverted to crude oil. I cleaned it with Lye (NaOH).
It has a couple holes.

Does anyone know of a modern fuel sock that can be adapted to the Syncro tank?

ALIKA T3 Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:51 am

The diesel tank doesn't have a screen.

The new repro 2WD fuel tanks don't have a screen.

I'd remove it and call it good.

Sodo Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:32 pm

What if a candy wrapper blew in there etc.🧐
Diesel has some “other” big-time filtration in the system.

This pre-filter protects the pump.
The fuel pump makes the van go ( or stop :shock: ).
I hear about new Bosch pumps “not lasting”, if a lot of vans have no pre-filter now ??????
What again was the problem?

While my tank is open I’m gonna keep an eye out for a suction filter to adapt
-or try to fix what I have.

MarkWard Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:43 pm

A filter that is not easily accessed seems like a bad design. If it slowly clogs, the pump will cavitate starving for fuel. If you want to protect the pump add an in-line filter between the tank outlet and the pump. This way, the candy wrapper will get sucked at least to where you might retrieve it. I do like the return bowl in tank.

Sodo Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:34 pm

Mark I'm thinking the large in-tank screens seem to work on many vehicles, and for many years.
The sloshing fuel washes them somewhat.
Wouldn't want to count on sucking the 'candy wrapper' (decal part sticker etc) down the pipe. It's a benign form of contamination to a screen - with sloshing fuel.

I'm thinking a similar arrangement to original may be good ....for the next 35 years?

Actually my current sieve, with a three little holes in the screen, is whole lot better than no screen.

ALIKA T3 Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:15 am

Sodo wrote: What if a candy wrapper blew in there etc.🧐
Diesel has some “other” big-time filtration in the system.

This pre-filter protects the pump.
The fuel pump makes the van go ( or stop :shock: ).
I hear about new Bosch pumps “not lasting”, if a lot of vans have no pre-filter now ??????
What again was the problem?

While my tank is open I’m gonna keep an eye out for a suction filter to adapt
-or try to fix what I have.

No they don't, just a filter before the injection pump.
The WBX pump starting 86 have a fuel inlet screen built in as well, that's when they started to put the filter after the pump.

Mark's suggestion seems valid to me, pre-filter outside the tank is better for servicing. The inner screen will take 2 inches thick of crap to clog it, so it's likely to never happen again.

MsTaboo Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:53 pm

Sodo wrote: Mark I'm thinking the large in-tank screens seem to work on many vehicles, and for many years.
The sloshing fuel washes them somewhat.
Wouldn't want to count on sucking the 'candy wrapper' (decal part sticker etc) down the pipe. It's a benign form of contamination to a screen - with sloshing fuel.
I'm thinking a similar arrangement to original may be good ....for the next 35 years?

Actually my current sieve, with a three little holes in the screen, is whole lot better than no screen.
Yep.I would reuse that old filter. If you can find a sealant you feel won't dissolve or come loose from the filter then patching those few holes would help, but even as is it's better than nothing.
When I pulled my tank the filter was perfectly clean - so with normal use it should last.