TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Any reason not to leave valve on propane tank open? Page: 1, 2  Next
specialev Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:26 pm

I've got a propex heater (only propane powered accessory) and I'm in the habit of always closing the valve on my propane tank when not using the heat. A lot of times I find myself too lazy to hop out and open it back up when want to turn on the heat to speed up the warming of the interior.

So, I'm wondering if there is any reason not to leave the valve on my propane tank open all the time?

What do you do?

joseph928 Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:56 pm

:bay_blue: Turn it off, it's a safety hazard to many things can go wrong. If God forbid you get into a wreck , hit on the side. you want the valve off, or the copper pipe could leak! You go Boom! :shock:

shepherdsond Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:27 pm

Propane on - no Boom

It did spring a leak though as there was no propane left 3 weeks later. My only reason for leaving propane on was to run the fridge. Definately safer to turn off though.

GreenMachineVW Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:58 pm

I leave it on if I can. I often have the fridge going all summer while daily driving. I get about three weeks of cool per tank.

Terry Kay Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:58 pm

Turn it off when your not using anything requiring propane.

GWTWTLW Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:26 pm

When I rolled my Adventurewagen, my stove was ripped completely out leaving a ripped copper tube. If my propane had been on, I probably wouldn't be writing this. Take it for for whatever it's worth...

nodrenim Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:45 am

In the commonwealth of Virginia it is illegal to have your propane turned on while traveling on a public highway. There was an explosion at a truck stop, when an RV propane system blew, while re-fueling at the pump. It was not a pretty site, pieces of semi's, rv's and people everywhere. The pump island was totaled out.

Ahwahnee Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:33 am

You should certainly turn it off at the main if you will be parked in a confined area such as a garage.

It is my recollection (October 31, 1963) that prorpane is most dangerous when a quantity can pool in a confined area prior to ignition.

dobryan Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:43 am

I keep it off. I've seen folks fool with the burner knobs and leave them on. Kids do that too. If the propane was on you could have a tragic result. Yes it is a pain to have to turn it on each time you use it but the downside is potentially life threatening. Not to say there aren't plenty of instances when accidents did not rupture the propane line, but if it happened to you......

ZanaEvyPapa Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:55 am

looks like we need an innovation. how about a remote control propane valve/solenoid? There are such things in the fireplace realm. Someone crafty could borrow the parts/tech and make it happen. Sorry, I'm just good for ideas...

danfromsyr Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:36 am

they have NC 12v propane valves on fleabay and likely your local HVAC supply house

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m5...;_from=R40

that's all I'll add in comment.

j_dirge Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:04 am

12v solenoids to "turn on" propane delivery (like danfromsyr just linked) have been in use on yachts for a couple decades.. at least.
Check out WestMarine's site, Defender, or Jamestown Distribitors, too.

Pretty safe.. and so very easy to use. I am installing my propex and will have one in use in my system.

Jon_slider Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:53 am

I leave my propane tank valve on ALL the time. I do not leave my stove knobs on. I have not rolled my van, and have not blown up.

otoh, the way to start a fire is to go to a propane station for a refil, and leave your fridge on while he pumps the Propane. (I know, you dont have a fridge, but imo, Van propane fires are caused by refilling the tank with the fridge pilot lit.)

And yes, those electric shutoffs look like a good option.

imo, if youre avoiding using the propex because you keep turning the valve off, dont keep turning the valve off.

You might also get Karl to weigh in on this, since he sells the Propex, Im sure he has an opinion.

shepherdsond Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Best of both worlds - How about combining a solenoide with an inertia cutoff switch:

http://tinyurl.com/d7sqapm

Timwhy Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:57 pm

specialev wrote: I find myself too lazy

Get out of the Westy and turn it back on, only takes a few seconds!

davevickery Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:24 pm

Timwhy wrote:
Get out of the Westy and turn it back on, only takes a few seconds!
No way I'm getting out of the van in the morning to turn the heater propane on. It's cold out there... If I'm o.k. sleeping with propane flowing and heater running, I'm o.k. with the valve being open in the driveway. Sheesh, what else can we get paranoid about. It is a RV with propane service, that is what it is made for. Not a big deal to leave the valve open. And I use the LP fridge while driving, so it doesn't get shut off then either, and if I recall correctly, it was acceptable to run the fridge on LP while driving. The valve is only closed occassionally, like when filling or taking a Ferry ride.

SteveVanB Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Quote: Sheesh, what else can we get paranoid about.

Thats an open ended question.........

msinabottle Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:41 pm

Turn off the valve and the fridge on propane when getting a refill. My propane people, who are VERY good, say, 'Instant Van-Be-Que.'

:shock:

No.

Best!

Terry Kay Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:45 pm

I am almost positive that if you take a look at the Westfalia suppliment in with, and included your owner's manual that it is not suggested to run with the reefer on propane.
The position of the stainless vent on the side of the Van will scoop up plenty of air at speed and has a real good posibility of blowing that flame out in the ice box.

I believe it is suggested that the reefer run on 12 volts while enroute, or on the roll.

I for sure wouldn't have the tank open while on the highway.
Whatever goes on in back with kids, girlfriends--whoever,you have not one iota of control--

No Thanks.

I like rolling the bones, and living a little on the wild side, but not when it comes to something I won't know anything about until the kaboom.

Nyet.

Fire & explosions are out.

silversync Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:49 pm

? Any reason not to leave valve on propane tank open?

It depends....