TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
airschooled Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:09 am

Alright... I did a 0-60 run last night. 30 seconds one way 34 seconds the other way. So 32 seconds because there isn't any damn level ground around here. :)

Of course, this was loaded with my standard tools, parts, instruments, clothes, and a 1922 typewriter. Full tank of gas. 1584 single port.

I'm sure a mathematician could use my weight and times to figure out horsepower, but in the mean time I'll be at the beach.

Robbie

Edit: I found someone to do the math. Those figures put me at 25.5 net horsepower. Maybe next time I'll floor it.

It's also important to clarify weather we discuss "net" (at the wheels) or "gross" (engine on a test stand with no alternator draw) horsepower.

madmike Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:21 am

You guys crack me up,,, :lol: I'm always entertained on here :wink: I luv driving fast just not with 'Drum brakes' :shock:also,, 30 seconds to me a DragRacer seem like a lifetime :lol: :lol: :lol:

richparker Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:06 am

madmike wrote: You guys crack me up,,, :lol: I'm always entertained on here :wink: I luv driving fast just not with 'Drum brakes' :shock:also,, 30 seconds to me a DragRacer seem like a lifetime :lol: :lol: :lol:

See Mike the interweb is still a fun place :). You have a kick ass T1 in you bus, dyno that thing. :lol: :lol:

madmike Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:05 am

Hey rich,I'd rather dyno my two other motors
wish I could learn how to post a pic with 1 click like STF's insteadof go here copy/ paste Blalalala,,LOL
Turbo 1915
turbo 2276

Dans Bus Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:46 pm

'Dan's Bus' once did 550 MPH backwards............in a DC8 freighter aircraft flying between Lagos, Nigeria and London Gatwick airport :)
Tony

SGKent Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:24 pm

Dans Bus wrote: 'Dan's Bus' once did 550 MPH backwards............in a DC8 freighter aircraft flying between Lagos, Nigeria and London Gatwick airport :)
Tony

cool. How did you fit it thru that small passenger door...

Dans Bus Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:54 am

Hey, I love that picture!!
The DC 8 was a freighter, with a full size Cargo Door.
The Bus was loaded and unloaded, using a 'High lift' machine.
Once the front half was in, the back wheels were on an Aluminium pallet, which allowed the vehicle to be slid around 90 degrees, so that it could be pushed back to the over wing position.
'Dan's Bus' had the plane to itself, there was no other cargo, the freighters would come in from Europe completely full, but there was normally no cargo for the return journey.
The cargo company would accept anything for the return journey, for a little 'Gas' money..............in my case it was $500, which was cheaper than on a ship!
Tony

airschooled Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:14 am

Cheaper than the ship AND not exposed to salty air. That's something we can all appreciate :)

cliveawn Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:34 am

Mine has been dyno'd at 113 horses.This was when it had only done 500km from an extensive rebuild.
Its now at 6000km and is a totally different motor,im guessing its about 125 hp?
I hardly ever push it hard and cruise on long trips at 65 to 70mph fully loaded.
This motor has lots of torque which is what I need.
Im not saying its the fastest bus here but its sensible and reliable.
Its does sound fast with the exhaust im using and I do get the usual comments like,"aha so you running a Porsche motor in that baby?"
Sometimes I get the time to explain the whole Porsche/VW thing......

Red Fau Veh Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:33 pm

LOL! :D I'm happy to see this thread is still entertaining, I read the new posts and had a good laugh. :lol: I don't think we have to have hard rules to follow here just post up. Its fun to see dyno charts and drag race times, or just a pic of your speedo with the needle buried. :D As far as engine type, who cares just post. Even if you have a Buick v6 in the middle of your cargo bed, lets see it. 8)

maddog2276 Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:51 am

Threads a bit old but...........1970 UK Dormobile, street legal/driven, original camper interior. John Maher built 2276cc with a squirt of NOS. USB founder and silver member with a best of 14,77

airschooled Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:04 am

See, stickers DO make your bus faster.

Robbie

poptop tom Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:20 am

asiab3 wrote: See, stickers DO make your bus faster.

Robbie

Actually the flames do!

notchboy Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:29 am

poptop tom wrote: asiab3 wrote: See, stickers DO make your bus faster.

Robbie

Actually the flames do!

Nope its the stickers definately the stickers. :lol:

maddog2276 Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:06 am

:lol: All wrong...it's the glitterball 8)

airschooled Thu May 18, 2017 10:24 pm

Brian wrote: Getting your bus on a dyno costs money.
Gas to go camping costs less money.
Bay owners like going camping.
I'm starting to see a solid conclusion to this.

Guys, I put my bus on a dyno today. Anybody want to guess numbers? :P

I guess I need a camping trip.
:lol:
Robbie

notchboy Thu May 18, 2017 10:36 pm

asiab3 wrote: Brian wrote: Getting your bus on a dyno costs money.
Gas to go camping costs less money.
Bay owners like going camping.
I'm starting to see a solid conclusion to this.

Guys, I put my bus on a dyno today. Anybody want to guess numbers? :P

I guess I need a camping trip.
:lol:
Robbie

Wana race? :lol:

skills@eurocarsplus Fri May 19, 2017 2:58 pm

42 at the wheels

richparker Fri May 19, 2017 5:13 pm

Skills, I think you have those numbers reversed.

skills@eurocarsplus Fri May 19, 2017 5:48 pm

I am waiting eagerly..........