TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: reverse lights not working need help
Glaab Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:04 am

hello
i finally got my 72 delivered the other day and well the reverse lights are no longer working. what could be the problem. all of the other taillights, brake lights, adn blinkers work though if that can narrow down my problems any(i don't know a whole lot when it comes to electrical stuff on cars).
any info would be helpful
and thanx in advance for any assitance anyone can provide.

keifernet Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:34 am

this thread may help...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45191&highlight=reverse+lights

Ace Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:29 am

If I remember correctly. Wiring from the reverse lights starts at the coil +, connected to a black fuse holder, through the firewall to the tranny switch, then out the other terminal at the tranny switch to the tail lights. Get a test light to see if you are getting voltage to the tranny switch.

Glaab Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:57 pm

thank you kiefer and ace for your help. found broke wire to tail lights first, fixed that and found out the switch it self has gone bad. can't tell really how it comes out to change it to to all the grundge all over the nose cone.
any info on pulling that, and if so do i i have to worry about losing any tranny fluid???
once again thanx in advance for any assitance

Glenn Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:06 am

Just unscrew it and install a new switch. You shouldn't loose and gear lube.

keifernet Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:51 am

if the switch area is that grundgy then you may still have a bad connnection there.

did you take the 2 wires off the switch and bypass it? the lights should work then.

Although they do fail I have rarely seen one fail myself. Sometimes they get "stuck" due to old tranny gear lube drying/gumming up on them and if you take it out and clean it up with brake clean and mess with it you may get it to wrok again... or not!

Glenn Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:51 am

If you replace the switch get the one from Hella. I've seen aftermarket ones that are twice as big (lengthwise) and might be a bit tight to get in.

I had that problem with my Berg 5 since the nosecone sits a few inches deeper between the frame forks. It didn't fit with an aftermarket switch, so i was able to get a Hella from RMMW and it works fine.

Glaab Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:16 pm

i took the wires off and bypassed the switch and found it to work so i took it out and clean it like you said(kiefer) and it does work now. i also changed out the gear lube and now al works great thanx for all the advice guys. sure makes things easier when you have people that know how to help and don't mind doing it.
once again thanx for all the info

keifernet Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:26 pm

Great! glad you got it fixed and did not have to wait for a mail order switch!