TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Speedo pod question
Plums Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Can anyone tell me if there is a seal/gasket that goes between the speedo and the bakerlite cluster?
Or does it simply fit in the hole and fixed in place?

Cheers, Sean.

streetwagens Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:47 pm

I'm pretty sure there's meant to be a felt seal, pretty square in section that's there to stop rattling and vibration, only way to tell is to pull apart a bus thats not been taken apart! Someone on here will know whats there, and whee to get it from! 8)

Edit: I misread the question, my answer is for the Bakelite to pod sorry! :lol:

djfordmanjack Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:09 pm

I just disassembled for you a near mint original never messed with standard BD 54 Speedo, that I collected for my 54. There is NOTHING beetween the speedo and the bakelite ! of course there is a rubber seal in the bakelite that faces the speedo pod (dash)metal itself. earlier buses will probably have felt lining there, like earlier split beetles.

Plums Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:14 pm

djfordmanjack wrote: I just disassembled for you a near mint original never messed with standard BD 54 Speedo, that I collected for my 54. There is NOTHING beetween the speedo and the bakelite ! of course there is a rubber seal in the bakelite that faces the speedo pod (dash)metal itself. earlier buses will probably have felt lining there, like earlier split beetles.

Thanks dude, I wonder if anyone sells the rubber seal that goes between the bakerlite and pod?

beetleseb Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:41 pm

My bug had a felt seal

Easy to cut one from some rubber or felt

Seb

EverettB Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:41 pm

Plums wrote: djfordmanjack wrote: I just disassembled for you a near mint original never messed with standard BD 54 Speedo, that I collected for my 54. There is NOTHING beetween the speedo and the bakelite ! of course there is a rubber seal in the bakelite that faces the speedo pod (dash)metal itself. earlier buses will probably have felt lining there, like earlier split beetles.

Thanks dude, I wonder if anyone sells the rubber seal that goes between the bakerlite and pod?

Brezelwerks sells the felt.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=145501

EA57RHD Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:46 pm

My March of 53 Panel had a rubber seal.

Brezelwerks does have the felt ones as Everett pointed out, but I would like to find a replacement rubber seal if anyone makes them or has an NOS for sale.

djfordmanjack Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:23 am

judging from my near mint speedo bakelite this is not a molded one-piece seamless rubber, but it has open ends in the middle suggesting it was made from straight stock. The rubber is 6 x 2.5 mm in cross section and approx. 600mm long. shouldn't be to hard to get this in a machinery equipment store or specializing in seals or have it cut by such a shop from flat rubber stock.

52 deelux Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:05 am

Sean,

I've used these on my bus, fit perfectly and only £1 each. They are slightly narrower than the original.

http://www.speedoheads.co.uk/p/category/0812065328-Rubber+and+Seals/

Cheers

Trevor P Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:27 am

I searched for a new rubber seal for my 53 and never found a suitable replacement. I ended up using the felt strips like previously mentioned.

bigbulli Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I'm sure I got mine from Mark L.