TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Mustang seats.
Mrlewis Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:12 am

Can you put 83'-84' mustang seats in a 74' standard beetle???

hobbybob517 Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:49 am

you can put any seats in , if they are not to wide or too high, you can weld the underside of your vw seats to the underside of your mustang seats and you're good to go.

Multi69s Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:48 pm

Also check the length of the bottom part of the seat (where your butt sits). If this section is much longer then the VW seat. It makes it a pain in the arse to get your feet out (9s or bigger). Your feet will hit the sill and the seat and you have to slide the seat back to get out. Or maybe that is just old age setting in :)

JasonBaker Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:48 pm

You can do anything with enough time and money. Mustang wouldn't be my first choice though.

hobbybob517 Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:27 pm

JasonBaker wrote: You can do anything with enough time and money. Mustang wouldn't be my first choice though.

X2 i'd go for audi tt seats if doing a conversion.

Snowking63 Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:33 pm

im trying to buy some racing seats for my baja but dont come with the rails/sliders. how would i put these in?

Mrlewis Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:35 pm

Thanks for the info, any suggestioons on where to search online for audi tt seats.?

hobbybob517 Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:32 am

Mrlewis wrote: Thanks for the info, any suggestioons on where to search online for audi tt seats.?

try a pick n pull, or craigs list maybee?

JWP80 Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:46 am

I got these on from CL for 40 for the pair.

I expect with a little work you could make Fox Mustang sets fit as well.
I wanted a low and far back seating position due to my height and driving style preference. I'll be removing the original track/mount and building new mounts that work with the OE Honda mounts. I got lucky on that bit.

These seats are touching the rear seat bottom in this position. I would remove the rear seat but with a baby on the way, my wife says we have to have room for the little one too.

Dismas Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:24 am

I took seats from a 94 camaro for mine . . fabbed up brackets that let me use the vw rails as well as te slides fopr the chevy seats.

JasonBaker Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:52 am

I had camaro seats, and I think they sucked monkey nuts.
I have extened cab nissan truck seats in there now. They are a little too wide.
But hobbybob517 read my mind. Audi TT are my goal.

It's not a great pic of the seats, I wasnt taking the pic for this thread.
I still have the seats if anyone wants them PM me

thatdirtykid Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:57 pm

I just bought a bug with fox body mustang seats in it (not sure of year), installed with plumbing tape. I have re installed the driver seat with bolts through the chopped vw seat bottoms in the front, and u-bolts in the rear. Eventually I would get seats out of a nice two door (so they fold forward) that are in better shape.
I will try to remember to upload a picture later for you. I still need to find my torx sockets to remove the obnoxious seat belt guide from them once I move. They look alright, a little big looking for my tastes and are deep enough for my long legs.

Edit: Jason, that is a sweet looking super beetle. I love supers, especially when behind the wheel, but usually prefer the german look supers. Yours is a beautiful representation of resto-mod. The shaved signals and little touches go a long way, I haven't seen stock wheels look so good on a super before. /hyjack

PaRacer Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:10 pm

I bought Jeep Wrangler seat sliders\adjusters on Ebay, they're 14" long and worked perfect when attached to my seats. They were used but great shape, they cost less than the Empi's and I suspect they are much sturdier.

JasonBaker Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:17 pm

I used this to make seat brackets. I welded several pieces and two different sizes to get the height I wanted.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_103639-37672-11200_0__?pro...facetInfo=

@ dirty kid, thanks. I did put 17x7's. But with a the missing parts like door handles, signals, wipers, etc.... It doesnt really look 100% german looker.
I got happy with the welder.

I am thinking about painting the wheels?????