TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My 64 Notchback Daily Driver Build Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
chizucc Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:38 pm

Hello All,

Here are some pics of my 64 Notch. I bought it in July from a guy out of Huntington Beach Ca...I didn't really know what I was getting into when I purchased it. I knew it had minimal rust, but the hard yet fun part is finding all of the correct parts/ pieces.....The replaced front apron and 4 lugs are just a few things that make me reluctant to try to do a show restore, so a daily driver it will be. The body has been worked on and the choice of paint is L469(Anthracite).....now the piecing of the puzzle begins. Everyone's feedback would be appreciated:

Pictures:

Apron before:

Apron after

Soul Built Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Looks great and you are off to a good start. What direction are you taking it? Stock, custom?

Good luck

chizucc Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:44 pm

Soul Built wrote: Looks great and you are off to a good start. What direction are you taking it? Stock, custom?

Good luck

I want to go stock, but lowered. I haven't decide to stay with a stock engine or building a 1776 out the engine case given to me with the car.

MonT3 Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:40 pm

Got a really nice patform to build on. Best of luck and please post pics throughout.

ALLWAGONS Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:54 pm

Nice car, but please do us all a favor and remove that dashpad before it breaks! that should be one of the last items to go into the car.

Martin
allwagons

chizucc Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:18 pm

ALLWAGONS wrote: Nice car, but please do us all a favor and remove that dashpad before it breaks! that should be one of the last items to go into the car.

Martin
allwagons

Lol. I just put it there to see how it looked. I paid quite a bit for it so I know the importance of keeping it safe. Good looking out..

Bliss13 Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:30 pm

Hey, this car looks familiar. I love the color. Isn't it amazing how much money you can put into these cars in such a short amount of time? Did it come just as we see in the first pics, or did you actually have some of the parts?

chizucc Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:04 pm

Bliss13 wrote: Hey, this car looks familiar. I love the color. Isn't it amazing how much money you can put into these cars in such a short amount of time? Did it come just as we see in the first pics, or did you actually have some of the parts?

I had to stop thinking about the money. :?

It pretty much came 90% complete but stripped. Lights, wiring harness, seats, and a long block(in process of rebuilding), etc. I just have to piece it together. Thank God for the workshop manual. I ran the main wiring harness Sunday before the game and will run the front harness sometime before the weekend.....I can't wait to get it running.

EverettB Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:54 pm

Nice! Anthracite is always great.

I added this thread to the Type 3 FAQ listings of project threads.

Tram Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:57 pm

chizucc wrote: Bliss13 wrote: Hey, this car looks familiar. I love the color. Isn't it amazing how much money you can put into these cars in such a short amount of time? Did it come just as we see in the first pics, or did you actually have some of the parts?

It pretty much came 90% complete but stripped. Lights, wiring harness, seats, and a long block(in process of rebuilding), etc. I just have to piece it together. Thank God for the workshop manual. I ran the main wiring harness Sunday before the game and will run the front harness sometime before the weekend.....I can't wait to get it running.

Exactly. You have to be dedicated to the end result. Period.

Cars whose owners only think about money wind up as Classifieds abortions.

must50302 Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:23 am

EverettB wrote: I added this thread to the Type 3 FAQ listings of project threads.

I am glad i saw this message. i will have to spend a lot of time fixing up my projet post ,now that i saw my projet is listed there as well. now i feel bad that i have not update like i should have. once i get going i just dont seem to stop......to many 3am nites working on the car. but i do have tons of pictures.

Bobnotch Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:15 am

chizucc wrote: Hello All,

Here are some pics of my 64 Notch. I bought it in July from a guy out of Huntington Beach Ca...I didn't really know what I was getting into when I purchased it. I knew it had minimal rust, but the hard yet fun part is finding all of the correct parts/ pieces.....The replaced front apron and 4 lugs are just a few things that make me reluctant to try to do a show restore, so a daily driver it will be. The body has been worked on and the choice of paint is L469(Anthracite).....now the piecing of the puzzle begins. Everyone's feedback would be appreciated:

Have you ever thought of going wide 5 disc in front, and swapping the rear drums to type 3 wide 5? Just a thought, and it's really an easy conversion to do the fronts. :D

The car looks good, and I really like the color. 8) Nice car.

chizucc Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:56 am

Bobnotch wrote: chizucc wrote: Hello All,

Have you ever thought of going wide 5 disc in front, and swapping the rear drums to type 3 wide 5? Just a thought, and it's really an easy conversion to do the fronts. :D

I am definitely considering it. I like the Empi 5 spokes and the Raiders....What do you suggest....the type 1 disc conversion or the pricey type 3 one?

chizucc Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks to everyone for the compliments and input thus far. Here are some pics of the main harness install.....

Bobnotch Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:06 am

chizucc wrote: Bobnotch wrote: chizucc wrote: Hello All,

I am definitely considering it. I like the Empi 5 spokes and the Raiders....What do you suggest....the type 1 disc conversion or the pricey type 3 one?

I went with the t-1 disc conversion with a kit from So Cal Imports. I followed this thread; http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=225527
and got the spacer from Chris. It made the job so much easier, and you've already got the type 3 disc spindles for the swap (they're on the car right now).

chizucc Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:12 am

Bobnotch wrote: chizucc wrote: Bobnotch wrote: chizucc wrote: Hello All,

I went with the t-1 disc conversion with a kit from So Cal Imports. I followed this thread; http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=225527
and got the spacer from Chris. It made the job so much easier, and you've already got the type 3 disc spindles for the swap (they're on the car right now).

ok. i've been told that I'll need to get shortened axles for certain wheels to fit right. How true is that?

Bliss13 Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:52 am

chizucc wrote: Bliss13 wrote: Hey, this car looks familiar. I love the color. Isn't it amazing how much money you can put into these cars in such a short amount of time? Did it come just as we see in the first pics, or did you actually have some of the parts?

I feel you. I almost decided to sell mine shortly after I got the quote for restoration. I had to remind myself how many years I've been waiting to find a complete, accident free notch. And how lucky I was to accomplish this. I'm happy to have you on here posting at the same time I'm trying to figure it all out.

chizucc Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:13 pm

Bliss13 wrote: chizucc wrote: Bliss13 wrote: Hey, this car looks familiar. I love the color. Isn't it amazing how much money you can put into these cars in such a short amount of time? Did it come just as we see in the first pics, or did you actually have some of the parts?

I feel you. I almost decided to sell mine shortly after I got the quote for restoration. I had to remind myself how many years I've been waiting to find a complete, accident free notch. And how lucky I was to accomplish this. I'm happy to have you on here posting at the same time I'm trying to figure it all out.

Having a complete notch is such an advantage. You know where everything belongs.....I have to look at pics of Notchbacks like yours to know whats what.

Bobnotch Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:23 pm

chizucc wrote: Bobnotch wrote: chizucc wrote: Bobnotch wrote: chizucc wrote: Hello All,

ok. i've been told that I'll need to get shortened axles for certain wheels to fit right. How true is that?

It's mainly the fronts, where you run into issues when lowering, and using bug offset rims. You can do a short axle swap in the rear, IF you feel you need more clearance. But, you'll have to take 9/16th off the snout of the drum for the short axle conversion to work. Do a search of this forum, and you'll find all sorts of info on doing one (there's pics and part numbers in it).

Mike Fisher Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:55 pm

EMPI 5 Spoke!