TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 74 Beetle Clutch Crunches
Freemananana Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:01 pm

I've got a 74 VW Beetle, it's late so sorry for the lack of pictures, and the clutch or something went out on it about a year ago. It's been in storage since, due to not having any time to even look at the car. But now I'm back home and it's time to fix it up.

So here's my problem. When the car is cold, the clutch will engage and the car will drive normally. But after about 10 minutes the clutch become hard to push in and it feels like it's crunching. The car won't shift and it's impossible to drive. At first, these symptoms came and went while I was driving so I thought something must have been catching or it was just my car being my car. But the problem persisted and within a couple days it was completely done.

So I hope I can get some advice. It's been a long time since I've worked on the bug. It was my first car and I miss the thing.

Thanks

EDIT: Trying to pull the engine out without taking the trans out of the car. Can't seem to get the bolts off the engine and transmission. I can barely even located them.

Jeff's Old Volks Home Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:05 am

Maybe the pilot bearing in the end of the crank/gland nut is coming apart...it makes the input shaft off center and almost impossible to shift with the engine running. Is it OK when the engine is off?
Jeff

DeathTrap Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:51 am

eminent cable failure?

Freemananana Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:01 pm

Jeff's Old Volks Home wrote: Maybe the pilot bearing in the end of the crank/gland nut is coming apart...it makes the input shaft off center and almost impossible to shift with the engine running. Is it OK when the engine is off?
Jeff

Yes, the trans shifts fine when it's off. Could you explain more on the pilot bearing? Do I need to drop the engine, because that's what I was going to do this weekend to fix it and find the issue. But if it can be resolved faster or easier, that's great.

And the cable didn't seem to be failing when I checked it. My step father was really into bugs back in the day and that's what he suggested. But it didn't like it was going bad.

Thanks for the replies.

Freemananana Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:31 pm

I researched the ol pilot bearing. I think I'll replace that and the clutch this weekend, or start it at least. I'll take it apart, find what's wrong and order it at least. Put it back together some time after that.

I have another question. My bug dislikes downshifting into 2nd gear. It'll do it while I'm turning, but that's the only time. It's as if the shift of weight makes it work. If not, it just shifts into 4th.

mnussbau Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:36 pm

You might need to adjust the shifter stop plate.
http://www.vw-resource.com/plateadj.html

Freemananana Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:32 am

mnussbau wrote: You might need to adjust the shifter stop plate.
http://www.vw-resource.com/plateadj.html

Quite possible... my car has always had trouble with reverse and the owner before me (it's been 6 years) said they had something with the shifter changed. So I will have to look into this.

Freemananana Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:36 pm

Did some stuff today towards the hope of taking out the engine. Any tips on removing the bolts that hold the trans on?

Cusser Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:59 pm

Freemananana wrote: Did some stuff today towards the hope of taking out the engine. Any tips on removing the bolts that hold the trans on?

On yours (a 1971 or later with doghouse cooler):

Driver side upper location: use a 17mm socket and long extension(s) and ratchet to remove the bolt holding the engine to the transmission from underneath the VW.

For lower nuts, from underneath: use a 17mm box wrench, hold the box part on straight with one hand, and be patient.

Passenger side upper location: reach around the fan shroud and loosen the nut with a 17mm box wrench, gear-wrench, or 17mm socket/ratchet.

Remember to pull the accelerator cable forward, while underneath. And plug the fuel line with a golf tee. And remove the heater box cable clamps and the heater bellows tubes.

Disconnect the battery and label ALL the wires (oil pressure, to the coil, to the generator, etc.

early Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:27 pm

engine removal.. 4 bolts hold the engine in.

read thru rob and daves procedure, it will help you out ..

http://www.vw-resource.com/engine4.html

Freemananana Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:36 pm

I've read a ton of removals. 3 or 4 and one on a bus. A lot of it makes me feel ridiculous. haha. Everyone seems like its so easy and I can't seem to get the tranny disconnected from the engine. I undid all the wiring and pipes connected to the engine based on the write ups I've read.

I actually read the rob and dave procedure before I started this. Maybe the bottom side of my bug is just too dirty and I couldn't see everything.

Tomorrow is another day.