TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Transmission Leak from CV's?
Phishman068 Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:03 pm

So i'm heading to a friends this weekend to help him with a long time transmission leak he's had. It leaks from the drive cups (CV's attach to) and is pretty significant. He assures me he has purchased all the necessary parts.

I have done a search, but can't find just what's involved in repairing this problem. Getting the shafts off and rebuilding them will be no big deal for me (I seem to be doing alot of them lately...) but i've never gone deeper than that.

Any advice or sources of knowledge?
Thanks!

Racerrojo Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:07 pm

There's this post

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249639&highlight=

its an easy job with the trany out, but doable with the trany in place

?Waldo? Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:12 pm

Be sure the atmospheric bleed is not clogged or all your labors will be for naught.

Phishman068 Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:28 pm

Wonderful!
I'm having a bit of a senior moment and have forgotten just where the vent is on a 2wd manual trans?
I know autos and syncros.

I must be getting old.

Racerrojo Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:30 pm

Andrew A. Libby wrote: Be sure the atmospheric bleed is not clogged or all your labors will be for naught.

mine was working great... I notice 1/2 quart on the floor of my garage, from having the trany upside down on the stand while cleaning it :oops:

?Waldo? Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:39 pm

Phishman068 wrote: Wonderful!
I'm having a bit of a senior moment and have forgotten just where the vent is on a 2wd manual trans?
I know autos and syncros.

I must be getting old.

Follow the leak trail up.

?Waldo? Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:40 pm

:arrow:

syncrodoka Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:55 pm

If your friend has a syncro there is no breather hole there.

cellerdoor Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:48 am

Here she blows:

Wildthings Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:09 am

Phishman068 wrote: So i'm heading to a friends this weekend to help him with a long time transmission leak he's had. It leaks from the drive cups (CV's attach to) and is pretty significant. He assures me he has purchased all the necessary parts.

I have done a search, but can't find just what's involved in repairing this problem. Getting the shafts off and rebuilding them will be no big deal for me (I seem to be doing alot of them lately...) but i've never gone deeper than that.

Any advice or sources of knowledge?
Thanks!

Is it leaking from the shaft seal behind the flange or from the CV itself? Sometime the cap inside the flange pops out (or was never installed) and gear oil will fill the CV and pour out. Either is an easy enough fix. If the cap has popped out, you might consider using Permatex or some other goop to glue the replacement in.

cellerdoor Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:42 am

Heres what I discovered when I took mine part. Had a pretty good leak but cant exactly determine where it was coming from since I sent it out to rebuild.

Looks like the PO gooped it up but it was still dripping when i got it. I also have a rear main engine seal leak which was getting into the bell housing and into the starter hole and dripping out at the starter flange.

srmpf Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:31 am

syncrodoka wrote: If your friend has a syncro there is no breather hole there.

just checked the DK from an air cooled vanagon that I have in the garage - no breather hole in there as well. Is that right?

?Waldo? Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:58 am

No, that's not right. DK has the bleed hole as pictured above.

srmpf Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:39 am

Andrew A. Libby wrote: No, that's not right. DK has the bleed hole as pictured above.

was probably too early in the morning - Andrew, you're right. checking a second time I saw the hole smack in the middle, like the one on your left in your picture.

BC Westie Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:15 pm

Is the auto breather in a similar spot on an Air Cooled auto? To clean just wipe the gunk away from the outside? My auto leaks from behind where the CV joints attach as well.

I went to replace the seals but the kit I ordered was wrong. I think mine had dust caps and an outer ring. The kit was just the outer ring so mission aborted an still leaks from time to time. What kit should I order next time? I want to correct this soon so I will have to find the breather 1st.

Racerrojo Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:40 pm

i'm about to re install the CV on one , should I just use the grease that comes with the kit, or is there something better that I can get at the FLAPS?

Wildthings Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:35 am

Racerrojo wrote: i'm about to re install the CV on one , should I just use the grease that comes with the kit, or is there something better that I can get at the FLAPS?

I have found the grease that comes with the kits to be insufficient in volume, as I like to fully pack the CV and the recess in the flange. I never cared to use the grease that comes in the little packages as some of the packaged grease used to harden with time and leave the joints dry. I have just used Moly fortified #2 grease for years, usually Valvoline and have been happy with it.

Racerrojo Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:29 am

Cool thanx.
I have to do 4 joints, and have 6 packages.
You would think that this things should have greaser nipples.

insyncro Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:39 am

I toss the grease that comes with new CVs and clean out any that has been packed in pre assembled and rebuilt units.

Alaric has posted some really good greases.

Yup a grease needle or CV greaser is a great tool.