TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Oil leaking from transmission nose cone
pickledBus Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:17 pm

I was under my 77 FI camper bus looking at a starter problem from another thread and I noticed this wet oil around the shift coupler and nose code. I haven't cleaned the bus since I bought it about 6 months ago and it has been mostly sitting in my driveway with the occasional drive to keep the battery charged and gas flowing through it. How worried should I be about this oil leak?

rustbus Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:23 pm

in my opinion, it would take 20 years for that leak to leak out all your tranny fluid.

have you check the level in the transmission? you need a 17mm hex to do it.

airschooled Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:31 pm

rustbus wrote: in my opinion, it would take 20 years for that leak to leak out all your tranny fluid.

And a few days for dirt to collect on the shift coupler and rip the inserts to shreds… :shock:

pickledBus Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:29 pm

So should I just wipe it down with a shop towel or do I need to break out a degreaser and some tooth brushes to really get everything off?

dehoto Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:29 pm

I had a similar problem when my bus had been parked on a slope, front end lower than the rear. The gearbox oil slowly leaked through a breather hole located higher up the nose cone.

If not this then maybe the seal where the rod comes out of the nose cone is worn?

VDubTech Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Nose cone seal is worn and needs to be replaced. I agree that this isn't something you need to fix this second but be aware of it and next time you have the engine and transmission out, replace it. I would probably hit it with some degreaser and clean it up as good as you can. It'll be easier to keep track of if it's clean.

fusername Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:48 pm

yeap, clean it w/ a rag, maybe some paint thinner if you feel fancy, and just keep an eye on it. It is on your engine drop to-do list now.

and do check the trans fluid level soon, who knows when the last time it got any attention was.

udidwht Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:02 pm

That leak could never empty the trans enough to be an issue. It'll only weep when driven.

fusername Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:40 pm

yeah but who knows how many other seeps and weeps the old girl has had over the years, and if he just noticed this leak, who knows the alast time someone stuck a finger in her hole to check that she was all lubed up proper