TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Birch panel templates Page: 1, 2  Next
ncstagger Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:28 pm

I've made new panels for my 71 and have all the original birch with the exception of the front ceiling panel. I guess if you were desperate you could use some of them as they are but their real value is as templates.

I hate to throw them out. If someone needs/wants these and can pick them up, let me know and you can have them. I'm right off I-95 near Fayetteville NC.

Red Fau Veh Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:33 pm

It would be cool if they worked their way across the country as templates for everyone. I need them when they get to Az. :D

ncstagger Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:41 am

ok we'll call it the Birch Vine...need a few more leaves to bring it out west.

babysnakes Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:42 am

Related highjack alert. I cannot find 5'x5' Baltic birch panels. I have called half a dozen or more local lumber yards. I called a few out of state places I found on the interweb. I think I found two places out west that could get it, but shipping at that point was exorbitant. Anyone have a source in the S.E.? It would make a good excuse to take a long ride.

grandpa pete Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:12 am

oops :oops:

Saint76 Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:18 am

I have the front ceiling panel. :)

curtis4085 Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:12 pm

babysnakes wrote: Related highjack alert. I cannot find 5'x5' Baltic birch panels. I have called half a dozen or more local lumber yards. I called a few out of state places I found on the interweb. I think I found two places out west that could get it, but shipping at that point was exorbitant. Anyone have a source in the S.E.? It would make a good excuse to take a long ride.

Try getting a lumber yard to special order it. That what I do.

babysnakes Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:32 pm

curtis4085 wrote: babysnakes wrote: Related highjack alert. I cannot find 5'x5' Baltic birch panels. I have called half a dozen or more local lumber yards. I called a few out of state places I found on the interweb. I think I found two places out west that could get it, but shipping at that point was exorbitant. Anyone have a source in the S.E.? It would make a good excuse to take a long ride.

Try getting a lumber yard to special order it. That what I do.

Quote: I have called half a dozen or more local lumber yards.

I keep getting "We can't get that" from everyplace I've called down here. That translates to "We're to damn lazy to try and get anything we don't normally stock". Ya ever been to S. Fla.? It's a whole different world than the rest of 'Merica.

babysnakes Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:33 pm

grandpa pete wrote: oops :oops:

Pete, what do you know that I don't?

djspn Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:55 pm

babysnakes........ you might try this

http://www.woodfinder.com/

babysnakes Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:03 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Tried, first few calls 600+/- miles away ( the closest ) "No we can't get that".
Hmm... :-k ....1/8" masonite and veneer?

curtis4085 Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:17 pm

babysnakes wrote: Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Tried, first few calls 600+/- miles away ( the closest ) "No we can't get that".
Hmm... :-k ....1/8" masonite and veneer?

May be worth a call to the local custom cabinet shop, they may have a vendor they can turn you onto.

djspn Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:05 pm

babysnakes.......I know it's a big state and I don't see where these guys are located,
but looks like they have what you need............and claim to ship from and have a will call in Florida.
http://alliedveneer.com/

babysnakes Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:28 pm

djspn wrote: babysnakes.......I know it's a big state and I don't see where these guys are located,
but looks like they have what you need............and claim to ship from and have a will call in Florida.
http://alliedveneer.com/

They are one of the distributors.....BUT.... their Floriduh location only carries marine plywood. I talked to them a few weeks back.
Thanks for the help but I'll try a more creative route. I can get the world of veneers and hardwoods. Shell lumber down here is the place to go for almost ANYTHING needed for making fine furniture, except they don't carry 5'x5' anything.

ncstagger Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:54 pm

babysnakes wrote: Related highjack alert. I cannot find 5'x5' Baltic birch panels. I have called half a dozen or more local lumber yards. I called a few out of state places I found on the interweb. I think I found two places out west that could get it, but shipping at that point was exorbitant. Anyone have a source in the S.E.? It would make a good excuse to take a long ride.

Capitol City Lumber in Raleigh NC has them.

http://store.capitolcitylumber.com/

Give em a call, they still had some last month when I was there. About $25 a sheet and the friendliest folks around.

My place is on the way, about an hour south :wink:

ncstagger Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:59 pm

By the way, the 1/8" 5' x 5' is only listed in the 10 pack on their website. You have to call to get the price and availability of single sheets.

Also, shipping is available but very expensive.

babysnakes Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:12 pm

I'll call them tomorrow. I am sure I can unload what I don't need. A box of ten sounds good.

babysnakes Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:25 pm

ncstagger wrote: By the way, the 1/8" 5' x 5' is only listed in the 10 pack on their website. You have to call to get the price and availability of single sheets.

Also, shipping is available but very expensive.

No ship! The shipping is pretty shipping expensive. They claim ( through Amazon) that shipping is free. $621.80 for a box of 10. I guess that's not horrible considering Sewfine's average headliner price is around 3 bills.

werksberg Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:29 pm

Good luck in shipping the OEM wood panels for other to use as templates. Freight truck only. $$$$$'s

I'm talking to an out of work friend on a deal for him to make some extra money. Stay tuned.... :wink:

babysnakes Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:59 pm

He shoots, he scores!!!!

http://www.hardwoodweb.com/distribution/html/HWWStoresIndex.html

$15 bucks a sheet, shipping with new FedEx acct. totals to about $30 a sheet delivered to my local dock. :D Thank you Samba member Arod for the link.