TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Need a GOOD Ignition Switch
1967250s Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:49 pm

Ok, 72 Deluxe, need a good ignition switch, do not want cheap chinese fire starter, who has the best? Will an earlier switch with metal housing like the '70 switch at autohauz work? I had a metal one originally and it finally wore out after +400K, tried the one available and promptly had a dash smoking while driving. The plastic ones don't fit and work properly, and I've already worn out 3!! Did a search and I get 40 pages of hits. HELP, PLEASE!
I am an electronics tech, so I know what I'm doing, but finding this is pissing me off.

germansupplyscott Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:53 pm

the new production 111 905 865 F switches are marginal quality. there is nothing new being made - that i am aware of - that is really good. NOS german obviously good, but to find them is nearly impossible. there isn't one brand that's better than another, most likely anything that's new production, from any vendor, is all the same. i don't think the 311 905 865 A/B switch will work, even if they fit they are not any better i don't think.

420GOAT Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:38 pm

try to at least get a Brazilian one.

tootype2crazy Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:49 pm

I had tons of trouble with cheapo switches until I managed to find a NOS item. Hopefully it will last another 30 years as the original one did.

westcoastmarek Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:02 pm

why not a used one from your local wrecker?

fusername Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:27 am

I got a new switch, after burning thru three of em just cut the wire for the starter and ran it to a push button under the dash. there is no good new switch. but only the start position kept burning out on mine, so i removed it.

stevespeirs Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:00 am

Got my replacement from BustedBus a few weeks ago. Great service, fast shipping and can't complain about the price either.

http://bustedbus.com

Good luck!

blacktruck Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:11 am

fuser is on the right tip,I think a "hot start" relay takes the load off the switch so it lasts longer.
Both is prolly the everlast version :oops:

SGKent Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:19 am

it isn't always the starter that is causing the issue. People add accessories and larger headlight bulbs without allowing for the extra current.

Stuartzickefoose Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:44 am

its sounds more like you have a second issue going on that is burning out your ignition switch prematurely. what stops working first when it goes out?

1967250s Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:33 pm

Nope, no other issues, Stuart. As I said, I'm an electronics tech, on aircraft, Navy trained. Over 30 years experience fixing things the right way. Everything else on the car works perfectly. I tried several switches and the internal moldings of the stops are wrong. Once the switch is installed, I can't pull the key out as it won't rotate -rearward/counterclockwise- enough to release the tumblers that lock the key in the slot. Along with sub-par wire covering that is not heat resistant enough, wires with too fine copper strands, and the plastic housing that melts when you have to crank for more than a second. The car starts within a couple of cranks, no extra loads on battery.

Stuartzickefoose Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:37 pm

1967250s wrote: Nope, no other issues, Stuart. As I said, I'm an electronics tech, on aircraft, Navy trained. Over 30 years experience fixing things the right way. Everything else on the car works perfectly. I tried several switches and the internal moldings of the stops are wrong. Once the switch is installed, I can't pull the key out as it won't rotate -rearward/counterclockwise- enough to release the tumblers that lock the key in the slot. Along with sub-par wire covering that is not heat resistant enough, wires with too fine copper strands, and the plastic housing that melts when you have to crank for more than a second. The car starts within a couple of cranks, no extra loads on battery.

at least you know what your doing. thats always a plus. :D

how about installing a hot start relay to take the load off the ignition switch then?

1967250s Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:20 pm

I'm thinking about it^^^