TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What's this part that is leaking? (Transmission nosecone) Page: Previous  1, 2
zozo Mon May 06, 2013 1:29 pm

All to often it seems like when I read about someone's problem, I have the same problem soon after.

Went out in the bus on Saturday afternoon to fill up with gas, get some paint, groceries, etc and started having shifting difficulties that got progressively worse as I went further and shifted more. By the time I'd gotten to the gas station, filled up, and started to leave, it didn't want to go into gear at all. Odd. When I'd pulled it into the garage last it was fine, with nothing out of the ordinary at all. Hmmmmmm......

Since I'd not had issues leading up to it, I was guessing/hoping that my clutch cable was the culprit, but to my surprise, it's fine. Got to snooping around and noticed that the rear shift coupler wasn't safety wired. Odd. It hasn't been touched in the 7 years that I've been driving it, so why on earth would there be a problem with it now? Anyway, I reached up and grabbed the rear grub screw, and it was too tight to move. I grabbed the front grub screw, and it wasn't even finger tight. I tightened it about 2 turns with my fingers, that's how loose it was. To fix it, I got a little wrench, tightened it up, and put a safety wire on it to keep it from vibrating loose again.

I was really lucky it didn't fall out, if for no other reason than I'd have to locate a replacement. Anyway, after tightening it and safety wiring it, the bus is back to shifting like it always has - like butta.

I hope neatness doesn't count. My vision is so bad when I'm under the bus and at that distance that it was done mostly by braille. Function over form I guess.

Eric&Barb Mon May 06, 2013 6:11 pm

That should work.

You can buy inexpensive safety glasses with magnification in a bifocal style to help with close up work like that.

j.pickens Mon May 06, 2013 6:42 pm

Is that a plastic coupler? Any comments on if these are any good?

BarryL Mon May 06, 2013 7:05 pm

It's urethane and they transmit loud sound to the shifter handle area that you can hear usually. The original style are meant to insulate the sound and vibration. The urethane will give you a very positive feel to the shift though.

zozo Mon May 06, 2013 7:18 pm

It's been on there since I got the bus about 7 years ago. Until now it's never given me problems, and even this is more the lack of the safety wire than the coupler. I have a Berg shifter, also in it when I got it, and really like the way it shifts.