TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
VolkswagenGerry Sat May 04, 2013 5:32 pm

I would like to keep this thread open for anybody with the rebel wiring harness and questions they have as they go along with the installation

Not necessarily if you are looking to purchase the kit .
More if you get stumped with the installation like myself . :?:

First question:
What is the green wire which is labeled back up pwr it runs next to the battery wire in the harness..
Is this for back up lights or back up auxiliary power.
The length seems as if it should go to the switch on the transmission then to reverse lights.. or does it go to the + side of battery for radio or whatever?

there is no mention of this wire in the instructions.
Rebel is closed on weekends so I cannot call them.

jspbtown Sat May 04, 2013 6:15 pm

If it comes from the fuse panel it likely goes to the back up switch.

If it does not connect to the fuse panel and its a free wire (meaning not connected to anything on either side) it likely goes from the switch to the back up light.

VolkswagenGerry Sat May 04, 2013 6:47 pm

it does in fact come from the fuse panel.

So the switch on the trans nose cone is simply same wire in (hot wire/back up pwr) same wire out to reverse light.. Reverse light grounded somewhere.

Dale M. Sat May 04, 2013 9:13 pm

Originally back up lights were powered off same power as coil and the 12 volts from coil simple when through switch on transaxle to lamps and other side of lamps were grounded....

M1 & M2 are backup lamps and J5 is switch on trans... Note power to switch off 15 of coil....

You can do same thing (I believe ) with "back up pwr" (from fuse panel) to switch on trans the on to lamps, which ground at lamps...

Switch on transaxle only closes circuit when you are physically in reverse.....

Dale

Lo Cash John Sun May 05, 2013 8:52 am

Good idea. It's a nice product and gaining popularity with buggy builders. Once I (EVER!!!) get to that stage on my build I'll post detailed steps on what I do. I think others should perhaps do the same so there are different examples of how to install the same kit in multiple ways.

BIGMIKEY Sun May 05, 2013 4:59 pm

Lo Cash John wrote: Good idea. It's a nice product and gaining popularity with buggy builders. Once I (EVER!!!) get to that stage on my build I'll post detailed steps on what I do. I think others should perhaps do the same so there are different examples of how to install the same kit in multiple ways.

Mini Hijack: Lo Cash John; Your build threads are my absolute favorite of all the build threads I have seen online. In any site. I await your continuation....

Mike T

Jeremy1984 Sun May 05, 2013 5:12 pm

The green back up pwr wire is the power for back up lights, then there is wire labeled back up lights that comes in a bag. run the back up light wire from the other side of the switch to your back up lights, the wire in the bag already has the split made up to go from left the right.

VolkswagenGerry Sun May 05, 2013 8:55 pm

Thanks Jeremy,
I believe I spoke with you the other day,
thanks for the kick start.. Ive got wires heading in the directions they go,
I even got the ignition hooked up and the motor started today!!
Im taking my time soldering and shrink wrapping everything.
Im sure I will be calling with a few more questions as I go.
The tech support at REBEL is great.
I felt this was a good thread as people can share their questiions and solutions here.
There are a few other threads here with mention tho the rebel harness but they are basically dead threads.

Jeremy1984 Mon May 06, 2013 6:45 pm

I'll try to stay up on the thread, I'm at Rebel Wire until 5pm, if it's after 5 I can usually be reached by email. I like the thread idea, I usually search for questions and this makes it easier.

joescoolcustoms Mon May 06, 2013 10:00 pm

I used the Beetle kit on my just finished blue buggy and it is the best kit I have ever used. Extra wire length, everything labeled about 12 to 18 inches, separated into f/r looms for easy sorting, modern fuses, turn signal so easy to hook up with no extra relays needed. High quality wire used in the kit. First time I tried the wiring, not one mistake or re-do needed.

For my next build I will try the Deluxe Beetle kit.

Lots of extra length for both F and R sections, so no piecing wire together.

Terminal strip from Lowes, I tied one side together with an aluminum strip so the complete block is a ground buss.

I did use weather tight connectors to make future maintenance easier to pull parts, bumpers, switches and hood/dash.

Cheaper kits can be had, but you will get exactly what you pay for, and spend more time wiring your buggy, buying flasher relays, confused on turn signals, buying extra wire and fuse links.

VolkswagenGerry Mon May 06, 2013 10:42 pm

Joe,
How many grounds did you need to run up front?
What is grounded to the bus bar in the pic? , do those wires green green yellow green go into the reblel fuse block or elsewhere?

ChadCook Mon May 06, 2013 11:16 pm

Joe, I used the same connectors to wire mine. Nice to be able to unplug everything for service.

joescoolcustoms Tue May 07, 2013 4:08 am

Gerry:

The Rebel Block does not have any ground wires run into it nor does it need grounding. The Rebel Block is all the power going to the accessory. The accessory needs the ground (light, dash gauge, radio so forth) to make the loop work.

From my ground block I ran a large guage ground wire from the block through the front fire wall and down to the pan head. I drilled and tapped the pan head to bolt the ground wire to. Then any ground wire run from the block would ultimately ground to the pan head. One ground was to the fuel pump, two for the head lights/turn signals, one to the radio, one to the horn switch, one to the gauge cluster so forth.

I liberally used dielectric greese on every connection including the wire before crimping the terminal end on.

Chad:
You build was tight too. I like those connectors for that very reason. Takes longer up front, but so nice later.

VolkswagenGerry Tue May 07, 2013 8:27 am

Joe I was asking because the colors of the wires going to the buss bar look like part of the kit.
is your buss bar + or - ?

herkster Tue May 07, 2013 10:29 am

where did you get the billet steering column?

joescoolcustoms Tue May 07, 2013 11:23 am

Sharp eye Gerry! I did use some left over length on the ground buss. The ground is considered - (negative).

herkster, the steering column was from back in the 80's when billet everything was cool. I had got it in a large box(s) of VW parts along with billet inside door handels. I have not seen one for sale for a long time. Because of the billet shifter knob and billet E-Brake handel, I pulled it out of the "way back box".

VolkswagenGerry Tue May 07, 2013 12:23 pm

which wire goes to the brake light switch?
The Orange ( brake switch pwr ) AND or the white wire that says (brake lights)

I have two prong sender

joescoolcustoms Tue May 07, 2013 12:50 pm

Both. Power down to the switch, then once the switch is made (from normally open to closed), the power is sent back up the white wire to the rear lights.

herkster Tue May 07, 2013 1:09 pm

thanks joe...when my car was stolen it had one and I'm on the hunt for one....I have a original one but I think I want to go billet again.

VolkswagenGerry Thu May 09, 2013 5:49 pm

so I have aftermarket tail lights.. stop turn park..
There is a red wire a white wire and a black wire..

Which is which.. Im guessing the black is ground..

The rebel kit has white brown green
White=brake lights
brown = tail lights
green = turn

Help.. do i need a resister?
The set up is led.