TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Vw thing ignition switch removal
crsgrant Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:07 am

There is no screw hole anywhere on my ignition tree to remove the ignition switch on my 1973 thing. WTF how do I get it out? Just about ready to hammer the hell out of it! Please help:)

n0limdon Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:42 pm

I have a copy of a document Thomas M. Ainlay had on one of these VW Things sites. It is for a 74 Thing but I would imagine a 73 would be about the same. Does anyone recall Mr Ainlay? How to get ahold of him?

Semper_Dad Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:50 pm

See if this helps

Under ignition switch replacement (late model)

http://www.vw-resource.com/ignition_switch_replacement.html#ignition

Bashr52 Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:14 pm

I just replaced mine today. Are you trying to replace the key part or the plastic part at the bottom where the harness plugs in?

vwwestyman Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:55 pm

I need to replace the plastic part in mine, the electrical portion.

I got the German switch from Bus Depot in today, so I'm hopeful that'll fix my problem.

The key currently doesn't spring back after starting. I always just did it myself, but the starter was ruined last weekend when I had someone else drive it.

New starter is in, and cranking faster than ever! (Also cleaned up connections while I was down there.) But I don't want the wonky switch to destroy another starter. (I could hear parts rattling around in there when it took the old one out!)