TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
skills@eurocarsplus Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:36 pm

well, you would think after the work on my 71 westy i would just hang it up. nope. not me. i guess i just love shitty fitting parts far too much to just throw in the towel.

story time, gather 'round kids...

about a year ago, i was offered this bus from a guy who i never met. he saw my work on the forums and thought i would be a good keeper of this old girl. i was trying to work out a deal and i had a accident at work (long story, but a 55 gallon drum exploded in my face thanks to a douchebag co-worker)

at any rate, being out of work i didn't want to take it on. then the bus came up for sale again, so i ended up picking it up.

the good....

very minimal rust. battery tray, possible front floor (not sure yet) drivers side outter rocker, and depending what i find, it is so solid, i may just get a gerson piece and patch whats needed...but i will probably do the whole thing.
typical windshield rust, and a little dog leg work. i could have all the welding done in a couple days...

the bad.....very bad...

this piece of shit just hit the parts shelf lotto.....it is missing everything it has very little interior. no engine, transmission, rear bumper is smoked....all the little bits and pieces are MIA which sucks. i may need some help from you deluxe owners out there!

pix:

my samba 'barn find for sale on the trailer pic'

bottom was 100% stripped and treated with masterseries or POR

wheel wells are CLEAN

yep...

pass floor

i got to wondering what was hiding under the paint....2 hours later and she is very straight, a couple of dents with some filler, but no real surprises....yet

thats where she stands. i ran out of sand paper and beer. i hope to finish stripping her over the weekend, get her in epoxy and see what my mood is from there.....

curtis4085 Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:29 pm

Shes has very good bones! I love the undercarriage.

Millennium Falcon Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:41 pm

Thanks for posting your new project Skills. I thoroughly enjoy watching your works in progress.

All the best.

skills@eurocarsplus Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:06 pm

thanks guys. unsure what i'm going to do with it. i don't know if she is going to be a keeper or not. i may do all the bull work and put her up for sale, as so many people can't do the body end of things, but enjoy the assembly/mechanical aspect.

truth be told, i need another bus like a hole in the head, but i enjoy the project side of things. sad part about it is i will probably end up having to keep it because i would need 'running bus money' just to break even if i only did the paint and rust work. besides, i'm a horrible 'flipper' that's why we have 7 car's i pay to insure :shock:

busdaddy Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:08 pm

Don't beat yourself up bro, I would have taken it in like a lost puppy too, looks like it's got some great potential! :wink:

skills@eurocarsplus Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:26 pm

yea, the problem with saving all the strays is one of them is bound to hump my leg :lol:

i am just amazed at all the parts that are missing....for example, the dash screws and all the little plastic caps are gone. all of the white plastic dummy plugs (for seat belts etc) are gone....i mean, come on! i got a box with some busted turn signal's and a dented hubcap......hold me back! anything that could be taken out and lost was. it is kind of annoying

dugfresh Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:25 pm

skills@eurocarsplus wrote: yea, the problem with saving all the strays is one of them is bound to hump my leg :lol:

i am just amazed at all the parts that are missing....for example, the dash screws and all the little plastic caps are gone. all of the white plastic dummy plugs (for seat belts etc) are gone....i mean, come on! i got a box with some busted turn signal's and a dented hubcap......hold me back! anything that could be taken out and lost was. it is kind of annoying

One of my neighbors gave me a VW hubcap from his collection when I moved... I'll donate that to help plug the hole in your head :wink:

You probly don't want the rusty ones I drive around with..

CoastalAirCooledVW Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:34 pm

:snipersmile: :2gunfire:

morymob Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:43 am

Ok, stand still= 'BANG'. Actually u have the best part, solid body, the rest probably would need rebuild anyway.

nodrenim Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:49 am

Just think of all the VW stories you will have to tell your grandkids someday.

shiningstar76 Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:17 am

This is great and all but did you get more beer?

Kirk Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:19 am

Damn. Id say its a score. Besides life is too short to just own five volkswagens, right? :wink:

skills@eurocarsplus Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:16 pm

shiningstar76 wrote: This is great and all but did you get more beer?

i did....more pictures to come later

Kirk wrote: Damn. Id say its a score. Besides life is too short to just own five volkswagens, right? :wink:

here is the problem.....

when i get something, i bring it to the 9's and don't really drive them too much. i have been better about it, and they are all in rotation. honestly, my heart isn't in it for this one. i guess it's the daunting task of trying to find every bit that's missing.

that said, the sides are about stripped to the OE paint/primer. i am like 20 minutes a panel from being bare steel. tomorrow i will finish sandblasting all the seams and get it in epoxy tomorrow night. then i will start on the roof, which is going to suck ass. i may cheat and just sandblast it....

webwalker Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:53 pm

I think your plan for doing the bodywork and let someone else chase the pieces is a good one. Considering what the Brits are getting for a dry California bus, you should be able to move that perfect bodied Bus either domestically, or abroad.

M

PS: You should see some of the pics I took at Interstate VW in Lake Elsinore!

skills@eurocarsplus Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:45 am

webwalker wrote: I think your plan for doing the bodywork and let someone else chase the pieces is a good one. Considering what the Brits are getting for a dry California bus, you should be able to move that perfect bodied Bus either domestically, or abroad.

M

PS: You should see some of the pics I took at Interstate VW in Lake Elsinore!

yea, i am unsure what i am going to do. i may get to a point where it is painted, then try to sell it, but after adding up some estimated hours, materials etc i figure i would need to get between 8 and 10K for just a roller that would need re assembly. i have my doubts that anyone would pay that kind of money when they can buy a running bus for far less

going to interstate must have been a trat for you! you know what it's like living here on the east coast. totally wish i could get out there

skills@eurocarsplus Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:17 am

pictures from yesterday

got it grubbed down to the bone. just a note for all you would be body guys...STOP PUTTING ON COAT AFTER COAT OF THE CHEAPEST F*CKING PAINT YOU CAN FIND

this poor girl had 6 coats of trash before i hit the factory paint. but i'm not bitter :evil:

hard to tell, but the slider took a shot. not too bad, but the door has zero rust so i will uni spot it

again, the rockers are in amazing shape, minus the drivers side

got bondo?

yea baby!

think someone dropped the engine?

sliding door track and rocker are way nice

a little surface rust on the fender well. it really is not that bad of a bus

WM971252 Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:36 am

your not finished with it yet..... what is taking so long :twisted:

skills@eurocarsplus Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:05 pm

WM971252 wrote: your not finished with it yet..... what is taking so long :twisted:

it's too friggen hot. but the drivers side from the door to rear corner has been stripped and epoxied. i need to get the passenger side in epoxy soon, it is so humid i am getting flash rust in spots.

i guess i should keep on the lookout for a industrial sand blasting rig. if i had one, it would be all in primer by now

Jim Bear Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:13 pm

In the trenches... Inspirational. And, 'F' this humidity.

skills@eurocarsplus Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:24 pm

Jim Bear wrote: In the trenches... Inspirational. And, 'F' this humidity.

yep. seeing you are in RI, you know what the weather is like around here. it is pretty miserable!