TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Air Cleaner Question
ShaunT3 Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:07 pm

Hi Guys, a quick question regarding my stock air cleaner. Where does the elbow underneath connect on to? I believe this air cleaner came from a later model and I am fitting to an early model. Should/can I simply cap it off?

vlad01 Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:58 pm

That goes to a metal air duct that is attached to the head or cylinder? underneath.

its job is when the thermostat on the actual air cleaner (the spring thing in your picture) is cold, the flap is closed for the normal cold air intake and open to the bottom duct that goes under the cylinder/head? and draws warm air to help the engine run better and warm up faster.

Once up to operating temp, the thermostat opens the regular cold air intake and closes the hot intake.

ShaunT3 Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:14 pm

Thanks for the explanation Vlad, so I guess I need it connected. The trouble is I cannot see where there is a spot to connect it to on the cylinder/head. Do you have a pic of how it is correctly fitted?

l469 Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:15 am

ShaunT3 wrote: Thanks for the explanation Vlad, so I guess I need it connected. The trouble is I cannot see where there is a spot to connect it to on the cylinder/head. Do you have a pic of how it is correctly fitted?

do you get frost or snow where you live ? if not block it off !
not needed in australia !

Bobnotch Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:56 am

l469 wrote: ShaunT3 wrote: Thanks for the explanation Vlad, so I guess I need it connected. The trouble is I cannot see where there is a spot to connect it to on the cylinder/head. Do you have a pic of how it is correctly fitted?

do you get frost or snow where you live ? if not block it off !
not needed in australia !

Yup, you should be able to disconnect the flap control, and set it wide open. The early version of them had a summer and winter setting, that the owner would manually set. This allowed it to have cool air in the summer at anytime.

pitargue Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:58 pm

I keep bringing these old posts back to life. :-). Guess it's because before I ask, I always do a search and find these awesome posts.

Is there a factory diagram of how all this is plumbed? Curious to know.

gt1953 Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:39 pm

Ya I am still trying to find the rubber tube part that connects to the body. On the left side I made the rubber that joins the two pieces together out of an old bike tire inner tube.

pitargue Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:51 pm

gt1953 wrote: Ya I am still trying to find the rubber tube part that connects to the body. On the left side I made the rubber that joins the two pieces together out of an old bike tire inner tube.

Have you checked the classifies? Also, if you want new, you can find the rubber bits at vwispwest.com. ISPWest has a parts diagram which kinda shows you how this stuff goes together.

But I think you're missing the metal tube with the weighted flap as well. I think I saw some recently in the classified as well.

ataraxia Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:08 pm

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type3_parts_book/

The whole of the parts book for Type 3

Bobnotch Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:53 pm

gt1953 wrote: Ya I am still trying to find the rubber tube part that connects to the body. On the left side I made the rubber that joins the two pieces together out of an old bike tire inner tube.

ISP has the rubber part, but you have to get it for the carb air cleaner) slightly longer), and you'll need the carb version of the steel tube that connects to the body (also the carb version as it's slightly longer). What I did was use the more commonly found FI bits, and made a slightly longer metal tube (about 1 &1/2 of them together), and matched it with the FI boot for length. It's been working good like that since 2006. You'll also need the clamps for the boot, 1 of which is a "quick release". I hope this helps.

pitargue Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:52 am

ataraxia wrote: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type3_parts_book/

The whole of the parts book for Type 3

Thank you! :-)

Marciano

pitargue Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:28 pm

To follow up on the original post and the answer given by vlad01, here's a pic of part 311 129 519 B (from the manual pointed out by ataraxia) . It goes underneath to the head/block area. Now to find a pic of that. :-)

To give proper attribution, this picture is from car-from-uk.com. Pic is watermarked.

ataraxia Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:17 pm

pitargue wrote: To follow up on the original post and the answer given by vlad01, here's a pic of part 311 129 519 B (from the manual pointed out by ataraxia) . It goes underneath to the head/block area. Now to find a pic of that. :-)

To give proper attribution, this picture is from car-from-uk.com. Pic is watermarked.

My memory is terrible - but I believe that specific air cleaner is Euro only. A few giveaways in the attached pic: It's an IRS car (69 or later) and has carbs. All of the 69 and later US bound cars are FI, not carbureted, unless specifically optioned. The three piece air cleaner that uses 4 clamps and two rubber connectors was a later than 69 part. Again, don't hold fast to that but I remember looking for one of those three piece air cleaners because I like the way they look and couldn't seem to find one on this side of the pond.