TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1953 Kombi Chassis#20-066755 resto..... Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Gerson Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:34 pm

we are finally able to restore chassis#20-066755, Oct/Nov 53 Kombi.....I found this bus 8 years ago about 4 hours south of Bogota...it has been for sale on this site before (by a well known perpetrator), and it is listed on the barndoor.dk site...I am partial to Kombis, and for some reason, they are very hard to find down here in Colombia.................the plan for this bus is to get the metal work done asap and then ship it to Florida for paint and final assembly....it will be painted the original dove blue, and probably roll on earlies or chromed, detailed sprint stars.......I think this one qualifies for one of the roughest Barndoors being resurrected.....lots of work, lots of funky green being used... :D :D :D :D

Barndoor Mafia Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:51 pm

Dale hombre! Keep us updated on the progress.

mandraks Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:18 pm

Holy shit! funky green is definitely the best thing that could have happened to this thing.

More power to you

Pepillo Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:56 pm

Hola Gerson,

Uff. where you found this bd? .. I think your barndoor has more work than mine beacause is very rusty .. Fortunately for you its easier to restore. please keep posting pictures of the process ...

Gerson Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:07 pm

Pepillo este lo compre en Ibague....lo encontre hace casi 10 anos......acabo de comprar otro hoy que vamos a arreglar y dejar aqui en Bogota.... :D :D :D

Johnny, the idea, or should I say hope, is to have it ready for the BD reunion in Holland in April...... thank god it's a Kombi, I have already sourced most of the parts needed to finish it... :) :)

Pepillo Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:28 pm

Gerson wrote: Pepillo este lo compre en Ibague....lo encontre hace casi 10 anos......acabo de comprar otro hoy que vamos a arreglar y dejar aqui en Bogota.... :D :D :D

Johnny, the idea, or should I say hope, is to have it ready for the BD reunion in Holland in April...... thank god it's a Kombi, I have already sourced most of the parts needed to finish it... :) :)

Tengo muchas ganas de arreglar la mia.. pero me toca esperar por aquello del billete...$$$$$.. va a trabajar mañana?

Gerson Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:49 am

no Pepillo, manana no...si quiere nos vemos el Lunes...me llama...

Rich's 50 Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:51 pm

:shock: Piece of cake for you bro...I cant wait to get a ride in it :D

Gerson Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:28 pm

Rich your should make plans to come to Holland for the BD reunion and you can drive it there....you fly there and I will take care of the rest..... :D :D :D

Scotty Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:29 am

Good luck on that resto then. I hope you make it for next april

Barndoor Mafia Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:53 am

Gerson wrote: Johnny, the idea, or should I say hope, is to have it ready for the BD reunion in Holland in April...... thank god it's a Kombi, I have already sourced most of the parts needed to finish it... :) :)

WOW! That is one serious task you got there amiguete. Completed and shipped by April!? If you pull this one off, I will start calling you Gerson King, Ken King's long lost brother. :wink: Sourcing out the small bits and ends is the hardest part, then comes putting them together. Buena suerté amiguete.
And by the way, Amersfoort is a really cool town, especially the old city center. OKAY!

Gerson Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:41 am

I already have a fresh 2180 built, a narrowed adjustable wagenswest beam with 944 brakes, a freeway flier tranny with disk brakes , a set of Al Reed chromed earlies, front middle and rear seat, steering wheel, pod, door handles, etc......I need to source a set of tail lights, reflectors, semaphores, headlights, wire harness and a interior kit from Greg/Clara....and some other bits and pieces.....one way or the other this bus will be in Amersfoort for the get together...KLASSICFAB is a sponsor of the event that weekend and we (KF and EvamClassic) are having an open house in Utrecht that Friday, free food and free Dutch beer.. :D :D :D

djfordmanjack Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:49 am

Gerson wrote: KLASSICFAB having an open house

free Dutch beer.. :D :D :D

I'll be there... :D :wink:

Barndoor Mafia Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:44 pm

Gerson wrote: I need to source a set of tail lights, reflectors, semaphores, headlights, wire harness ....and some other bits and pieces

The hard to find and expensive parts! There are some good substitutions out there.

Gerson wrote: one way or the other this bus will be in Amersfoort for the get together...KLASSICFAB is a sponsor of the event that weekend and we (KF and EvamClassic) are having an open house in Utrecht that Friday, free food and free Dutch beer.. :D :D :D

Utrecht is also a SUPER cool town. Try that panini stand right on the corner of the main bridge over the water canal and the walk way, in the city center. Good stuff.

If I can find an affordable flight, I will show up. Free Dutch beer is more then a good reason to come out.

Lowdown Dirty Rat Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:42 am

Nice work 8)
Are you going to fill her up with panels before shipping her over? I assume there will be a lot of Gerson green for sale at the show. :D

Gerson Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:33 pm

it will go in a 40ft container along with a nice, og, faded paint, lowered 69 bay window.....and of course a shitload of green panels for the show.... :D :D :D :D :D

mg6770 Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:03 pm

Can't wait to see the finished product Gerson, I'm partial to Kombis too! :wink:

Maurice

Gerson Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:15 pm

progress.....not as fast as I would like it, but......hoping to have the chassis done by the middle of next week..... :D :D :D

brettsvw Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:24 pm

What can I say, Rust seems to find you Gerson.

Gerson Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:35 pm

yeah, I know.....my best friend's name is Rusty.. :D :D :D