TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Identify this Part. Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
xflyer Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:23 am

That is a 12V power socket. Some call it a "power point". Works with most anything 12VDC. Earlier Bay window vans were sometimes supplied with a 'compact' spare tire and an air compressor to inflate it. Those should have been replaced long ago (the spare tire) as there was a recall due to the tire failing after being inflated and driven on. They sometimes blew out during inflation.
Some Vanagons came with a 12V cooler. It would plug in that socket.
BTW you need the correct plug.

Campton Slow Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:37 am

xflyer wrote: That is a 12V power socket. Some call it a "power point". Works with most anything 12VDC. Earlier Bay window vans were sometimes supplied with a 'compact' spare tire and an air compressor to inflate it. Those should have been replaced long ago (the spare tire) as there was a recall due to the tire failing after being inflated and driven on. They sometimes blew out during inflation.
Some Vanagons came with a 12V cooler. It would plug in that socket.
BTW you need the correct plug.

Aha! THANK YOU.
That was driving my crazy. Now that you've given me that info, I was able to find this (for anyone else wondering).

Now I need to find some original accessories!

Thanks again!

Jake de Villiers Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:25 am

That's the fabled "Silver Socket"! Old school accessory power. :)

ZsZ Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:13 pm

DIN (German Industrial Standard) power socket. You can buy various adaptors to connect the more common cig. lighter accessories.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Din+socket+adaptor...mp;bih=937

jimf909 Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:35 pm

Interestingly, John Deere tractors used this plug as well. It was a good replacement for BMW motorcycle owners who didn't want to pay BMW prices for the plug (you know, they say the only cheap thing on a BMW is the rider :D ).

bstein Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:17 pm

During some routine maintenance and cleaning out of the van, I found this thing buried under the bench seat. Is this an accessory part to anything? TIA!

Brian


Forthwithtx Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:57 am

What are these? They came with my parts van and I have no idea what they are.


Zeitgeist 13 Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:50 am

Those look like pieces from the "doghouse" cooler tin from a Beetle

djkeev Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:48 am

86 Vanagon, disassembled by another and put into coffee cans and boxes....... Now mine.

What is this????

Basically a square rubber cube with some ribbing and cuts from sheetmetal......




Yes, it has a part number but makes it too easy!


Dave

ZsZ Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:23 am

djkeev wrote: 86 Vanagon, disassembled by another and put into coffee cans and boxes....... Now mine.

What is this????

Basically a square rubber cube with some ribbing and cuts from sheetmetal......

[pic]

Yes, it has a part number but makes it too easy!


Dave

sliding door upper bumpstop?

imikeh Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:23 am

Part is from driver door. 1991. Holds handle on pictured is bottom part. Top part broke

WannaDriveFar Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:56 am

I'm very new to my Vanagon, and trying to work on my own vehicles in general. What should I be Googling to help me learn more about this frayed hose?

shagginwagon83 Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:14 pm

WannaDriveFar wrote: I'm very new to my Vanagon, and trying to work on my own vehicles in general. What should I be Googling to help me learn more about this frayed hose?


It's just a vacuum hose that goes to the aux air regulator. You can take it to FLAPs and get a new one.

AZ Landshaper Sun May 27, 2018 11:29 am

Trying to put my purchase back together after the PO disassembled nearly everything.
What are these parts?








Ahwahnee Sun May 27, 2018 11:41 am

I see supports for the exhaust system (you'll have fun finding where they each go), engine tins (left & right) and tie rod boots.

I do not recognize the subject of the last photo.

BillM Mon May 28, 2018 4:53 am

The last photo is of a seat organizer. The piece in top of photo belongs on the bottom of the other piece.
Also supposed to be two hooks to go over seat top.
Itís made for police but we use to get them at phone company for our trucks.
Itís molded to hold a baton,3-cell plus maglite.
Two spots for hand cuffs.
Itís broken..toss it.

VicVan Thu May 31, 2018 10:36 am

Hi

Removed the glovebox yesterday to work on the new stereo. What's this, and specifically what is this 4-thing connector with three wires in it?


Where should I plug it so I can hopefully gain 30 horsepower?

After a bit of research, the grey box is a Cruise Control ECU? But I don't have Cruise Control on the van... Is it some sort of prewiring?

T3 Pilot Thu May 31, 2018 11:12 am

Unused connector on my Manual Ď90
Maybe it was for a dash light in other cars using the same computer

VicVan Thu May 31, 2018 12:22 pm

Does yours have cruise control though ?

T3 Pilot Thu May 31, 2018 1:55 pm

Ahyup.



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group