TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 71 White Swan Westy Page: Previous  1, 2
1967250s Thu May 29, 2014 11:52 pm

Wonderful find. I suppose you know it is a '71? Subbed

71whitewesty Fri May 30, 2014 6:25 am

I'd be happy to help anytime Sunnydog. It does clean it up and it's one less thing that might be retaining the mouse piss smell.
Wildthings, thanks for the Halsey pick up offer. I'm sure there's something I need but I'm good for now. I'm going to go the the Woodburn VW show this Saturday and see what kind parts I can find there.

1967250s, yes I do know its a 71', thanks. I'm up to 3 71's now. All are white, 2 westys and a tin top.

More to come when I get some more pictures loaded. :)

roland Fri May 30, 2014 1:55 pm

really lovely bus, and nice work on the preservation..

71whitewesty Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:39 pm

Ok, here comes some more photos and update of the 71 White Swan Westy.
Here are a couple more of the new canvas install. I wasn't able to post these earlier because I don't know how to resize the photo so it's small enough for the Samba. So I put them in Photo bucket for now so I can post them up here.
New canvas, perfect fit.

Here's the engine compartment. I will move the fuel filter but wanted to run it for a bit to see if the tank needed cleaning.

I had to make a new headliner panel as the old one was mouse piss soaked. I also put in a new upper cot canvas.

The interior was in pretty good shape already and just needed a good cleaning.

I crudely hammered out the larger dents in the bumper and painted it with the paint from Wolfsburg West that they sell in a spray can. I also hit the primered spots on the drivers side. Great color match on the paint. Not the best glossy finish but it works.

So after a winters worth of tinkering, cleaning and putting on some new parts like brakes, brake hoses, Boge Shocks all around, drag link, new used steering box, steering coupler, fixed the horn, pop top canvas, Hankook tires, powder coated the rims, painted the pop top and put on new seals and finally, new awesome curtains purchased here on The Samba, she is ready for the maiden voyage to take the cousins on a camping trip. I've been looking forward to this since I dragged this thing home last fall.

My wife has only driven the bus a couple of times but I had convinced her to drive one of them up so we could all camp, 4 kids and 3 adults, 5 bikes and a boat.

I'd call it a total success. No issues at all with either bus and all slept in reasonable comfort. I'm still a bit sensitive to the mouse piss smell so I left all the windows and doors open but no one else seemed to mind at all. It's not bad at this point but I can still smell it.
We camped in full Westy style.

That's the update for now. I'm looking forward to using this bus some more. It drives really good and tight with no squeaks or rattles. This is the first camping trip this bus has been on, first trip of any kind actually in at least 15 years.

Stuartzickefoose Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:55 pm

:D

71whitewesty Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:46 am

Stuartzickefoose wrote: :D

Lol! Been quiet here but in short Iíve been driving this bus ever since. Now put 32k miles on it. Taken my family on long two week road trips for four summers now too. Iíll have to post some travel pics. :D

Tcash Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:44 am

Ah twins, you must be so proud.

Hope this helps
Photo Resizing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51

GD
Tcash

SatireChuck Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:07 pm

Thank you so much for this thread. I learned a lot from your experience! I was just given my first VW Van and will be starting my first Restoration next month.

Sheís a 1971 with no engine, so I do have my work cut out. Could I please pick your brain sometime for advice?

-Brother Chuck

Hereís my Ď71:

rsorak Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:21 pm

I found a bus much like yours 12 years ago and it's still serving me well today.
Love my 71 Westy !!![/img]

xyzzy Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:38 pm

Love it -- some good looking busses!