TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
dobryan Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:48 pm

milotrain wrote: Not to derail the conversation but wouldn't it be cheaper and possibly better to just have a hidden fuel pump cutoff switch? Then the thief wouldn't be able to move the car, you wouldn't have to chase it down (with that dubious legality) and there is no monthly fee.

Fuel pump relays are low amp so the switch doesn't have to be a huge honking one, and you could hide it anywhere.

Nope.... in my world it is better to have both! And that what this thread is for... :P

Wellington Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:26 pm

milotrain wrote: Not to derail the conversation but wouldn't it be cheaper and possibly better to just have a hidden fuel pump cutoff switch? Then the thief wouldn't be able to move the car, you wouldn't have to chase it down (with that dubious legality) and there is no monthly fee.

Fuel pump relays are low amp so the switch doesn't have to be a huge honking one, and you could hide it anywhere.

stop the drive away thief, but what about the flat bed or tow truck?

malibu Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:56 pm

The wife got me this one for my birthday. I will post back once I get a sim and start testing it before install.

http://www.amazon.com/Tracking-Drive-Vehicle-Track...ps+tracker

dobryan Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:44 am

malibu wrote: The wife got me this one for my birthday. I will post back once I get a sim and start testing it before install.

Awesome! Looking forward to your results. :D

Corwyn Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:14 pm

LoJack:

http://www.lojack.com/Cars-Trucks-And-Classics

Jake de Villiers Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:55 pm

Corwyn wrote: LoJack:

http://www.lojack.com/Cars-Trucks-And-Classics

$700.00 and "Only available in the USA" - also only in 'some' counties...http://www.lojack.com/Buy-LoJack-Products/Check-Coverage

dobryan Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:03 pm

Corwyn, From the first post, here are the specs for what I am looking for. Lojack isn't even close....

dobryan wrote:

My desires are:
- NO on-going monthly contract, I don't mind paying text message charges for each time I access the GPS data.
- max $200 price
- Accessible data from my cell phone (this seems universal)
- Ability to hard wire the power source, am willing to modify the battery pack.

Ojai63dbl Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:34 pm

anybody know if there is a 6V tracking system out there?

(wrong forum but right thread)

The Newegg says it needs 12 to 24V - could go with a power inverter I guess.

dobryan Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:42 pm

Ojai63dbl wrote: anybody know if there is a 6V tracking system out there?

(wrong forum but right thread)

The Newegg says it needs 12 to 24V - could go with a power inverter I guess.

Or add a 12V battery from a UPS system or similar?

Wellington Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:17 am

malibu wrote: The wife got me this one for my birthday. I will post back once I get a sim and start testing it before install.

A review please

human compass Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:12 am

having a viper alarm with iphone connectivity (for remote start and gps) put in now. done monday. I can even monitor my voltage through the app and then remotely start the van when it gets low. how cool is technology? theoretically I could monitor my stolen van, wait till it stops, lock the thieves out and set of the alarm while giving the police the vans location! Its like night rider!

dobryan Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:15 pm

Thanks. :D

What's the initial and monthly cost of this system?

human compass Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:32 pm

I think (because I'm having them do power door locks and windows at the same time) it's around $500 for the system installed and $150 for 3 years of service. Viper has been doing these for a while so I think the service will continue to be supported and even improve. google it, its a pretty cool gadget.

Reports on real world functionality to follow..

human compass Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:35 pm

sorry, that wasnt clear- the total cost of all the work I'm having done is way more than 500, but I think the cost of the alarm w/ iphone module (basically a cell phone reciever/transmitter) installed is around $500

Corwyn Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:07 pm

dobryan wrote: Corwyn, From the first post, here are the specs for what I am looking for. Lojack isn't even close....

dobryan wrote:

My desires are:
- NO on-going monthly contract, I don't mind paying text message charges for each time I access the GPS data.
- max $200 price
- Accessible data from my cell phone (this seems universal)
- Ability to hard wire the power source, am willing to modify the battery pack.

If you'd read up on it:
- there is no monthly fee
- it is a hard-wired power source
- I have a key fob that let's me know if the van is moving without it.

The price is a bit high, but nationwide coverage for my $30k vehicle worth it (in my opinion). If you see any cop car with four antennas on the roof, those are for LoJack direction-finding.

Still . . . to each their own.

dobryan Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:09 am

Corwyn, Yep it is the $700 price tag that turns me off. I agree that it is a great system though. Thanks for the info. :D

onemat Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:04 am

human compass wrote: having a viper alarm with iphone connectivity (for remote start and gps) put in now. done monday. I can even monitor my voltage through the app and then remotely start the van when it gets low. how cool is technology? theoretically I could monitor my stolen van, wait till it stops, lock the thieves out and set of the alarm while giving the police the vans location! Its like night rider!
To remote start your van with standard shift would require leaving in nuetral, right?

human compass Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:43 am

onemat wrote: human compass wrote: having a viper alarm with iphone connectivity (for remote start and gps) put in now. done monday. I can even monitor my voltage through the app and then remotely start the van when it gets low. how cool is technology? theoretically I could monitor my stolen van, wait till it stops, lock the thieves out and set of the alarm while giving the police the vans location! Its like night rider!
To remote start your van with standard shift would require leaving in nuetral, right?

correct, and there is a neutral safety switch to make sure youre not able to start it while in gear.

kourt Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:03 am

Wellington wrote: malibu wrote: The wife got me this one for my birthday. I will post back once I get a sim and start testing it before install.

A review please

Hello everyone,

I've just bought a 1991 Westy and wanted to do the whole GPS tracking thing, so I bought this GPS kit from Amazon.

Notes:

Your approach to averting theft should be multi-faceted.

1. Don't make your vehicle a tempting target (so don't leave goodies exposed in the cabin, always lock the vehicle, and don't put too much bling on it).

2. Insure as well as you can (in the absence of an agreed value policy, get the highest comprehensive insurance policy you can).

3. Killswitch installation (lots of ideas on this topic).

4. GPS tracking.

I'm taking a two pronged approach to the GPS tacking opportunity. In addition to the GPS tracker from Amazon (which I will begin reviewing below) I also have amateur radio equipment that uses APRS to track the position of my vehicle.

My new van was a fly-and-drive from Denver to Austin. As a test case, I flew with the ham radio tracker to Denver and plugged it in the moment I took possession of the van. Here's a summary of the trip from the tracker datalog:

The ham radio tracker uses common aprs.fi tracking sites, so I was able to use Facebook and links to my APRS information to provide all my friends with live updates:

We made it home with only minor incidents--a dead battery in Pueblo, CO on Saturday morning. AAA gave me a jump, and I then drove to an auto parts store to get a new battery of my choice. The rear window glass was accidentally smashed by the previous owner as he towed it over a mountain pass from Gunnison, CO to Denver--but the U-Haul dolly had insurance. The tinting laminate on the rear glass saved the day--it held the window together long enough to get home to Austin.

This Westy is being heavily refit with gadgetry: all new water system (Shurflo), Truckfridge ala Hodakaguy (full repaint in Westy gray), Samlex inverter/charger/charge controller (it does everything!), propex heater, power and antenna connections at the rear bench for radio operation, and, uh, a Bostig conversion. So yeah, I turn 40 this year and this is my birthday project.

The Amazon GPS tracker is a nice, carefully designed unit. It is very feature rich for the price, easy to setup, and highly configurable.

After buying the unit from Amazon, you need to decide what type of cell phone service you want for it. I'm an AT&T customer already, and I have prior experience with GoPhone, so I just bought a SIM card on eBay from this guy.

After the SIM card arrived (two days after auction) I got on the AT&T activations website and activated the SIM card. You'll need the IMEI number for the Amazon GPS tracker to complete this step.

Once the SIM card is activated and associated with the tracker IMEI number, you need to add value to the pay-as-you-go GoPhone plan. I have good experience with the "$2 per day, only on days used" plan, so I did that. I put $25 on the SIM card account and then installed the SIM card in the tracker. When you register the SIM card, you get a phone number, so now the GPS tracker has a phone number that you can call or text--and this is really how you interface with the tracker. I created a contact entry in my phone contacts for "Westfalia Camper" and that makes it easy to find later and interface with the tracker. It's possible for the tracker to text you independently if there's an accident, or a panic button press, or if the tracker detects the door opening in armed alarm mode--so you want this contact in your personal phone to make those texts identifiable.

At this point I've spent $50 on the tracker, $5 on the SIM card, and $25 on the phone service. $80 gets you started. The recurring costs are limited to how often you have the tracker text you, or how often you text the tracker. It's $2 per day, any day you use it. If you're a heavy user, switch to a $30 monthly plan. If you're just using this as a GPS tracker safety net, stick with $2 per day, and recharge the card every 3 months (I'd put $10 on every three months). That puts you at $40 a year to run this thing in my frugal Dutchman's world view.

For setup and testing, I wired the tracker to a cheap power supply at my desk, and put the GPS and GMRS antennas on the window sill.

Online programming manual.

You start off programming the tracker by texting "begin123456" to the tracker. This "begin" is the first command ever sent to the tracker, and "123456" is the default password set at the factory. The tracker then responds to your text, by texting back to your phone, "begin ok!"

You then text "password123456 ######" to the tracker, where ###### is the 6-digit password you choose. Now you've replaced the default with something private.

Setup step three is to tell the tracker which phone numbers have administrative rights, so you text the tracker your phone number and the phone numbers of anyone else you want to have access to the tracker (it can handle up to 10 phone numbers). Keep in mind that every administrative interaction includes you sending the password, so everything is secure--no random dude can text your tracker and take control of it, unless they have the password. The tracker is secure as it can be in the SMS world.

Lastly, you probably want to set the time zone the tracker lives in.

The basic function of the tracker is this: you call it up (voice style) and hang up when it answers. The tracker itself does not make noise when you call it--it operates silently. It then texts back to you, to your personal phone, its last known GPS position, with a google maps URL in the text. That's just the basics.

This thing comes with a relay to do all sorts of crazy stuff--you can wire it in between the engine and fuel pump to cut off the fuel remotely via text message. You can wire it to your car horn to blow the horn in certain alarm conditions, or via text message. It comes with a panic button--when pressed, the tracker sends panic texts to all the admin phone numbers it has learned (for when we are hijacked in Venezuela, as my wife says). It has an optional crash detection accelerometer input, and can text you if there's a crash. It has a microSD card slot for big datalogs, which can be sent via text commands. It has a TCP and UDP interface to use data to send tracking information. The tracker also offers links to a managed tracking website, where your IMEI number can be applied to have live web tracking.

I'm leaving out all sorts of other features--the designers went really crazy with this product. Due to its configurability, you can just go the luddite route and only configure the basic tracking option, as I've outlined above, or you can go full bore crazy and install the fuel pump cutoffs, door alarms, crash alarms, etc. There's even a GPS fence option, whereby you can tell the tracker to warn you if the van leaves a certain geographic area, even cutting off the fuel if the van leaves the fence area. You can also set speed limits--if the tracker senses the vehicle going over a certain set speed, it will text you to notify you. Oh, there's also a microphone included--you can call the tracker and listen in on what's going on inside the van. This tracker is a helicopter parent's dream for a teenager with a car. There are even more features--but too many to list.

Lastly, it has internal battery backup--so if someone tries to cutoff the power, it will still run for a while.

In a nutshell: if you have the technical inclination to play with this, go for it. Great product, great value.

kourt

dobryan Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:56 am

kourt, Awesome review, thanks! :D

And I hope your relationship with Maggie is a long and happy one. Glad your wife is supportive of another SO in your life....