TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: "Factory" A/C
Beeble1 Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:38 am

I think I have so called "factory" A/C in '73, (yes, I know it was installed at the dealer), but every other under the dash unit looks different than mine. Every other one that I have seen has the blower and temp. control below the dash, but then the blower is above the gas tank, and the vents are in the dash. Mine has everything below the dashboard, and nothing is in the trunk. Has anybody seen anything like this before?

[/img]

mrbigmax Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:19 pm

DPD was one of the approved air conditioners for VWOA. Here's the 1966 manual from the archives. The blower fan was inside the case with the vents.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/66air_conditioning_dpd.php

djkeev Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:43 pm

No, this is an add on aftermarket unit. Proper for older cars but the 1973 and newer Super Beetle has "Factory" AC properly piped inside the dash utilizing dash vents.

Dave

Joel Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:34 pm

Dave, it's just same shit, different bucket, both are aftermarket systems.

Beebles one was specifically made for curved windscreen 1303 Supers, it was just designed not to take up trunk space.
Its different to the flat screen under dash one for standards and 1302.

Even the one shown in the manual with the dash ducting and outlets isn't "factory fitted".
The cars were just made with the provisions to fit A/C if the customer wanted it.

There were a few different companies making the one thats integrated into the dash.
The RHD versions like mine were specially made for the Japanese market 1303 by VPC.

djkeev Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:43 pm

Joel wrote: Dave, it's just same shit, different bucket, both are aftermarket systems.

Beebles one was specifically made for curved windscreen 1303 Supers, it was just designed not to take up trunk space.
Its different to the flat screen under dash one for standards and 1302.

Even the one shown in the manual with the dash ducting and outlets isn't "factory fitted".
The cars were just made with the provisions to fit A/C if the customer wanted it.

There were a few different companies making the one thats integrated into the dash.
The RHD versions like mine were specially made for the Japanese market 1303 by VPC.

I know, that's why I wrote "Factory" in quotes, there was no factory installed AC back then. Most were dealer installed here in the States. Some manufacturers installed such options in shops right at the docks in Newark NJ.

Dave