TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Had some time for my '58 low light today Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Porschedave Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:42 pm

Okay, so here's the shots from behind ... perhaps not what you were hoping for but

Dave

Trylon Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:09 pm

Porschedave wrote: Okay, so here's the shots from behind ... perhaps not what you were hoping for but

Dave

Precisely what I was hoping for! Thanks for the personalized service PD!

Porschedave Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:59 pm

Hi Folks

So, today's task was a bit of covid-19 improvisation. Back in 2013 a group of friends came over to help me take the shell off the pan. With all the social distancing, that as not going to be possible when I wanted to put the shell back on the pan. Here's my solution:

I switched the position of pan and the shell and put the shell on the lift and raised it up as high as I could.

and using some specially designed lengths of wood and rope, "hung" the shell from the rafters.

The rolling the pan back under the shell, rising it up and voila

I was pretty happy ... as you can imagine

And the final view of the low light ...

Now onto the next steps.

Dave

djway3474 Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:06 pm

Pretty cool. She’s gonna be a beauty. I figured out a way to lift a 914 body onto a rotisserie using a motor lift. Where there is a will…

Braukuche Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:50 pm

That's a novel way to do it! Congrats!

boinkffd Sat May 02, 2020 1:08 am

Beautiful! Congrats Dave. Love the color.

CiderGuy Sat May 02, 2020 1:05 pm

What a terrific color ! Congratulations

djkeev Sat May 02, 2020 3:03 pm

Now that's impressive thinking!

Dave

Marcdeb Sat May 02, 2020 3:15 pm

Where there's a will, there's a way!! Awesome garage by the way. :D :D

TRS63 Sun May 03, 2020 4:01 am

What a step, this car is a beauty 8)

Antoine

Porschedave Thu May 07, 2020 4:44 pm

Hi

I think that one of the neat things about low lights is the steering wheel. I got this from a friend and it was in very sad condition, and missing some bits. Another friend helped me fix the cracks on holes in the wheel and I got it painted. Then I found a plastic horn button, painted black and then I found a badge. So, after much work it is now in the car and I think that it is very cool.

Dave

rbsurfguy Fri May 08, 2020 4:30 am

Very cool looking Ghia! But something missing here is the fact that no one has commented that Dave has a lift built into his garage floor!! I mean is it so common with most of you to have one of these in your garage that somehow I wasn't let in on this little secret???? :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm getting some ideas now when I build my outshed/workshop that I need one of these floor mounted lifts....I mean it is fun sometimes to be part of the cool kids, like this forum!!

Jeff

PeteSC Fri May 08, 2020 5:50 am

Your Ghia is looking great! Fantastic progress.....keep it up!

c21darrel Fri May 08, 2020 9:41 am

rbsurfguy wrote: Very cool looking Ghia! But something missing here is the fact that no one has commented that Dave has a lift built into his garage floor!! I mean is it so common with most of you to have one of these in your garage that somehow I wasn't let in on this little secret???? :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm getting some ideas now when I build my outshed/workshop that I need one of these floor mounted lifts....I mean it is fun sometimes to be part of the cool kids, like this forum!!

Jeff

Personally, I was just too jealous to write a comment. Damn, PD has a lift (and a lowlight) in his garage. Steering wheel looks great!

Porschedave Sun May 10, 2020 4:18 pm

Hi Guys

Yes, the lift was a great addition to my garage. And I use it a lot, as you can imagine.

Now I have another question, looking for your suggestions. I installed the 1/4 widows or rather tried to install them. And, they are a challenge to get completely seated. Here are photos:

As you can see, the windows do not make it all the way in. I've tried a number of times, using a mallet and wood to help but to no avail. It seems to me that the rubber is perhaps too thick and I am unable to compress enough to let the window finally go all the way in. Have others had this problem? How do you recommend fixing it? Are there different rubber seals made for these cars by different manufacturers?

And by the way, what glue do we use for the little metal strip that goes along the leading edge. And I do not see what keeps these windows in other than friction with the rubber.

Thanks in a dance for any comments,

Dave

djway3474 Sun May 10, 2020 4:22 pm

I had to beat on mine like I was crushing granite. I can't remember if I used a lubricant.
It was quite unnerving. :?

Porschedave Sun May 10, 2020 4:31 pm

Thanks. I too have beat on and I used a lubricant. Maybe I'll have to beat on it some more ...

djway3474 Sun May 10, 2020 4:32 pm

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8142242#8142242

check my july 10th entry, I made a comment about a trick to getting this in

Porschedave Sun May 10, 2020 4:43 pm

Thanks for that link. I had a look at your posting. You say "the key to seating these is to keep the inner lip inside the chrome tucked down", are you referring to the chrome on the outside of the car? I thought that the rubber overlapped that a bit.

When you struggled with yours, was the last few inches the most difficult? I can easily slide mine in about 3/4 of the way without an issue.

Thanks again for the comments and advice.

Dave

Braukuche Sun May 10, 2020 7:14 pm

Dave you gotta pull the rubber lip put, you can't let it get sandwiched in between the glass an the metal. There should be a lip that folds out, you have to work it out as you push in.