TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Alternator Mounting, lower arm breakage
ohhorob Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:13 am

I've searched here extensively for help with the lower arm of the alternator mounting, and nothing turned up.

Should I be looking for a replacement part, or is there a repair that anyone could suggest?

[email protected] Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:48 am

If you look long and hard enough you should be able to fine a bracket like the one that is broken. I personally would recommend finding a skilled welder, and repair the bracket. An additional piece of steel could be used to lap the crack. Good luck

PDXWesty Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:56 am

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=1201

djkeev Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:06 pm

You've got a 2nd crck up by the nut behind the crank pulley.......... Just saying......

Dave

61Scout Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:06 pm

That's just the piece that holds the dipstick tube. It's super thin and doesn't really support anything besides the dipstick. Tack it up with some reinforcement and you're done. And also do take care of the alternator bracket.

djkeev Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:18 pm

61Scout wrote: That's just the piece that holds the dipstick tube. It's super thin and doesn't really support anything besides the dipstick. Tack it up with some reinforcement and you're done. And also do take care of the alternator bracket.

Yeah...... But.......
It fastens to the outer lower Alternator mount which is KNOWN to have breaking issues.

Most likely, if you were to remove the Alternator you WOULD find serious issues with the Lower mount.........

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=571070&highlight=

Dave

61Scout Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Djkeev, you are correct sir, further inspection is required. The picture from the OP doesn't even have the alternator removed so we can't say for sure what has caused the fracture of the dipstick support... but, yes, it's likely that the alternator bracket itself has failed. Hence my suggestion, in agreement with the others, that the alternator bracket also needs to be addressed. And beyond that Ohhorob should also very carefully inspect the block for damage. So Ohhorob, take that alternator off, take the bracket for the alternator off, and let's see what it looks like under there.

Crankey Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:40 pm

I welded mine back together.
while I was at it I welded the nut for bolt the alt mounts and pivots on to the front (towards flywheel) side of the bracket so you can install the bolt from the rear of the alt. (rear of alt/rear of car) I don't get why the factory bracket was set up the opposite way. maybe as a safety so the bolt couldn't rattle free if it was loose. but it was a PITA to install as originally built.

tencentlife Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:03 am

It's a 1.9. That piece isn't even used. It's probably broken because someone first ground off the tube support tab, then had to force it to fit. Dipstick tube support is part of the upper crossover pipe.

ohhorob Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks all.

I trawled through the parts links, but nobody lists that component (alternator mounting arm?).. well at least in the various categories that those catalogues tend to be split up into.

Ended up emailing Van Cafe, and although they don't list it online, they were able to locate one for me.

61Scout wrote: So Ohhorob, take that alternator off, take the bracket for the alternator off, and let's see what it looks like under there.

I'll remove the Alt and if it's not already there, grab a new mounting bracket kit too.

tencentlife wrote: It's a 1.9. ...

The engine is a 2300cc from Go-Westy that the PO had installed. It's not clear to me, would that block have started life as a 2.1 or 1.9?

ohhorob Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:32 am

The cracked arm had it's dip-stick holder part cut off. I did the same with the replacement part and fitted it in the same way.

Visited Van-Cafe last week, and and picked up the GoWesty bracket fix, and will install it this week.