TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Donnie strickland Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:22 am

Recently my Bug got smashed by an inattentive driver:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...ht=bye+bye

I spent some weeks mulling over a replacement car, and thinking if this might be the time to finally go the Type 3 route. I've been driving Bugs since 1984, and always liked the Type 3s, but didn't ever go that way because I always ended up sticking with what was familiar. But I had been lurking on this forum for the last few years, reading up on Type 3 stuff just in case that day ever came...

I began checking Samba classifieds, and Craigslist for Alabama and surrounding areas. I was looking for something specific: a Squareback for a daily driver, and preferably an automatic so my wife would be more likely to drive it. She can drive a stick, but she doesn't stay in practice and is "always afraid of doing something wrong with the shifter and I'll tear something up".

So I found a 1971 Elm Green Square on the Pensacola Craigslist. It was for sale by the grandson of the original owner, who bought it new in Mobile in 1970. The price was too high for me, but I watched it over the next few weeks, and it steadily came down. When it reached what I felt was the right level, I called to set up a meeting so I could look at the car. I rented a trailer, and my brother and I left early Saturday morning on the 4.5 hour drive (he has a 1-ton Dodge van with a 360, perfect for towing).

Upon arrival I found the car to look as good as advertised. The owner had a folder full of receipts from day 1, where work had been performed on the car. He had recently had new tires put on and all the fuel lines replaced, along with 4 new injectors, and oil change/valve adjust/points/plugs/trans fluid. I drove it and found it to start and run well, and the transmission shifted fine.

We loaded it up and headed back to Alabama:

Back at the house:

I've got the trim piece for the right front fender. New clips are on order.

There's no rust to speak of, as the car was garage-kept all its life.

(Yes, I've got the screw for the headlight ring.)

The car was bought with no radio, so it has the antenna block-off plug:

The interior's in pretty good shape too. I'll clean the carpet and see how well it cleans up.

Unmolested fusebox:

The rear cargo area mat's a little stained:

The mandatory engine shot (a new intake boot's on order):

Broken kickdown switch:

Driving impression? TOTALLY different than a Beetle. And that's good! That's what I was after. The wife says she might take it away from me. I told her we might have to find her a Fastback.

A few issues --
1) There's no switch for the fresh air fan. The car had A/C installed in 1974, and then removed at a later date. Perhaps the switch was removed when the A/C was installed?
2) Broken kickdown switch. I'll have to round one up somewhere. Does anyone know of a suitable substitute?
3) Engine lid seal is looking a little dried out. Who makes the best seals?

Thanks for looking!

PS I've got a Bentley manual ordered.

Geothon Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:27 am

Looks very solid, especially for the East Coast, enjoy! Any idea why it was repainted?
Engine comp seals: https://www.westcoastmetric.com/browse.php?categoryID=906

EverettB Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:40 am

Wow, you scored on that, I always like cars from the original family and a known history.

Woreign Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:15 am

Nice car! And don't let anyone give you any grief about it being a late model!

Donnie strickland Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:18 am

Thanks Everett!

Geothon, the grandson said he remembered it being repainted once. There's no sign of any collision that I could tell. Here's the spare tire well:

And the paint sticker behind the jack, with another inspection sticker dated 1970:

I'm going to give it a couple of coats of wax and I think the paint will shine up pretty well.

Donnie strickland Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:19 am

Woreign wrote: Nice car! And don't let anyone give you any grief about it being a late model!

Thanks! You can bet on that! :)

Tram Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:31 pm

Wow. Beautiful... just beautiful! Nothing like an unmolested original!!

Mark Shutt Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:52 pm

incredible condition! car like that just don't exist over here, very jealous!!

I did wonder about the aircon, there is a 2nd hole underneath the timing hole where the after-market aircon belt would have been..

enjoy you're new car :)

Donnie strickland Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks Tram! And Mark, you are correct about the 2nd hole. The car still has the 2-groove fan pulley from when it had A/C.

vlad01 Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:40 pm

Solid as! you've done well.

I would keep the body original and give it s real good cut and polish and detail.

Donnie strickland Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:50 am

Been fixing a few odds and ends this week...

The original seat belts had to go. I installed replacements in the front:

And lap/shoulder belts in the back, where my 8-year-old son rides:

I've driven it every day since I bought it, and continue to be more pleased each trip. And I must say that at 36° this morning, I love Type 3 heat! I did have to tighten up on the heater lever as it would tend to creep back down by itself.

This weekend I'm going to try and get time to wax it really well and put a good shine on it.

Donnie strickland Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:05 am

I disassembled the shifter console to clean the contacts for the neutral safety switch and reverse lights, and also to see why the console wouldn't light up at night. As it turns out I have the wires for the console lights, but no bulbholder. I'm not even sure how it would mount, and the Bentley's no help here. Anybody got any pics of it?

Mark Shutt Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:38 am

I didn't know it was supposed to light up! I don't think mine ever did as there's no extra wiring provisions for such a feature..

Donnie strickland Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:10 pm

I was a little quick on the draw -- :oops:

The bulbholders were under the bottom side of the console. I had looked for them mounted to the body of the car.

Close up:

Bulb out of its holder:

Does anybody have any pics of their intact wiring? There are two bulbholders but I only have wiring for one. I can wire it up so both will work, but I'm just curious as to how it looked originally, and I'd rather go that way.

Mark, yours is a 68, correct? Maybe those didn't light up yet.

Mark Shutt Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:24 pm

yes a 68, it has a solid chrome plate that has the PRN321 on it.

Dfasty Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:58 pm

the 70 model also has no light.
sweet car.

Slow 1200 Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:57 am

my 71 does have both lights wired and working, although they were not connected when I first got my car :shock: not that they are bright or anything

nice car, my fastback has the same cork upholstery, it rocks 8) mine has low backs though (euro model)

Bobnotch Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:13 am

Donnie strickland wrote:

Does anybody have any pics of their intact wiring? There are two bulbholders but I only have wiring for one. I can wire it up so both will work, but I'm just curious as to how it looked originally, and I'd rather go that way.

On page F of the Electrical section in the Bentley, they show the wiring for the back up lights, and AT shift cover lights. It even shows which fuse they get power from. It looks like the + wire has a split at 1 light, then feeds the other. The brown wire with the screw (in your pic above) is the ground for both lights (probably has a split for it too, since it's all in a plastic housing).

Very nice, clean, unmolested car you have there. 8) You don't really see those on the east coast.

one4house Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:09 am

Donnie strickland wrote: Been fixing a few odds and ends this week...

The original seat belts had to go. I installed replacements in the front:

And lap/shoulder belts in the back, where my 8-year-old son rides:

I've driven it every day since I bought it, and continue to be more pleased each trip. And I must say that at 36° this morning, I love Type 3 heat! I did have to tighten up on the heater lever as it would tend to creep back down by itself.

This weekend I'm going to try and get time to wax it really well and put a good shine on it.

What are the front seat shoulder belts from? Or where did you get them? The stock belts are a hassle, and those look like they go right in with no mods.

Donnie strickland Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:21 am

Bobnotch wrote: It looks like the + wire has a split at 1 light, then feeds the other. The brown wire with the screw (in your pic above) is the ground for both lights.

Thanks Bob, that confirms what I was thinking. Do you know where one could track down those tiny push-on connectors?