TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Late Bay Steering Box to Early Bay
Tcash Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:55 am

Late Bay Steering Box to Early Bay

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28999&start=60

Thanks to Bay Tripper
As I haven't updated for months i thought i should now, as i'm working on it again.

The steering box has been a major problem which failed the mot.

To carry on from my post in technical section i decided i should put it build thread.
I've nearly cracked it with the late steering box conversion, quite easy to do as well.
Here are some photo's, enjoy :)
The 2 boxes

The chassis rail where it needs to mount, marked for larger hole.

Template i made

Hole cut.

Used a worn disc and a full size to get into the tight space.

The hole that needs to be drilled is on the edge of this sleeve, so i drilled the 4 dimple and drill a hole in the bottom of the chassis rail. I then put a punch through the bottom hole and tapped the sleeve out, easy.
I can reuse this sleeve when i drill the other hole then weld it.

Box sort of fitted :D

The hole on the other side needs opening up as the box doesn't go all the way through.

After i open the hole up i will see what i need to do here.

Right thats all for now if i can i will finish it tomorrow, but i have another problem in that i need to find a arm that the drag link connects to. The box didn't come with one.

As no one is really interested in my house i'll tell you lot, i have done it!!! :D
The late box fits i managed to finally get an hour on it this evening, here are a couple of pics.

yes i know the hole isn't central, those hole saw cutters are tricky without a proper pilot hole.

The dirty great big hole behind isn't to make it fit, it was rusty and also a failure on the mot.
When i remove the box to clean it i'll get a pic of what i had to cut, its the bit of the valance above the big hole that curves up.[/url]