TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: external oil cooler
fl48guy Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:06 am

Does anybody know about external oil coolers? I installed one on my 72 super beetle. The instructions said to remove the oil pressure spring at the rear of the engine near the pully. It did not say to replace and I cant get it in anyway with the adapter they sent me. The problem I am having is I get an oil light at idle after the car has warmed up. They sent me 2 new oil pressure springs but did not say to install them. Should I try to fit the spring in with the adapter? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Email me at [email protected] if you can help. Thanks

bowtiebug Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:11 am

how about a link to the kit your using ..

fl48guy Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:21 am

I do not have a link but its an empi kit came with cooler adapter for oil pump housing and an adapter to install return line where the oil pressure spring went. The adapter has a tube attached that goes up into the hole where the spring use to be hence the problem getting the spring back in. There is a video on you tube but they are vague about the oil spring.

vlad elmo Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:04 pm

Im running an external cooler of a cb high flow pump, my upright is blocked off and my filter runs off that.no changes to springs on my 2026.and it doesnt over heat

vlad elmo Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:04 pm

Im running an external cooler of a cb high flow pump, my upright is blocked off and my filter runs off that.no changes to springs on my 2026.and it doesnt over heat